Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 02:31 AM   #91
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Silly me. I assumed that all those apps that were pulling up dictionary definitions were using some type of standard Android API. After a bit of Googling myself, it looks like everyone is doing their own thing. Shame on Google for not including an API for this already. I wonder what Aldiko is using?

Oh well. In lieu of a standard API, I'd still like Mantano to offer "good" dictionaries as an optional purchase. If this is done, having both in-ebook lookup (via a popup) and standalone dictionary lookup and browsing would be ideal.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:12 AM   #92
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
It seems that Handmark sells a few Oxford dictionaries on the Market. The OED and the American w/thesarus are there, but the Consice OED doesn't seem to be available any more. Like I said before, it appears that you have to use these standalone, which isn't very convenient when reading an ebook.

https://market.android.com/search?q=oxford&so=1&c=apps

From what I can tell, it looks like Handmark just put an Android app wrapper around the old Palmpilot database dictionary files. That being the case, I don't see why a lookup couldn't be done from within an Android ereader. I used to have that capability many years ago on a Windows PDA.

I'm not stuck on the OED necessarily. I do want whatever dictionary is used to be very comprehensive, including archaic and uncommon words.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #93
Karina
Enthusiast
Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Archos 101, Acer Iconia A500, HTC Incredible S...
How to buy Mantano Reader via PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
Can the apk file be downloaded directly from you? And what about eventual payment; as I said I don't trust the network at work, so if I decide to buy the app, do you have an option to pay for it via PayPal??
Hi Citac,

The application is now available on Slide Me, where it can be bought via PayPal:
http://slideme.org/application/mantano-reader

Cheers,

Karina - Mantano team
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #94
John1997
Enthusiast
John1997 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
How do I get Adobe Digital Editions to recognize the Mantano reader? I have a ZT-180 Android tablet. I had already authorized it with the Aldiko reader and it works fine. However, ADE does not see the Mantano reader and I don't seem to be able to get it authorized. I'm away from the machine, but one of the files in the .adobe-digital??? folder contains the string "Mantano".

I'm wondering if I should just clear the existing .adobe.... files and try to authorize again.

Any suggestions?
John1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #95
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1997 View Post
How do I get Adobe Digital Editions to recognize the Mantano reader?
Start ADE on the desktop first, then connect the Android device via USB, and so the device appears in ADE.

Cleaning up the SD card, especially the .adobe-digital-editions folder, is a good idea. A re-install of Mantano maybe needed as well.

Cheers.
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #96
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karina View Post
Hi Citac,

The application is now available on Slide Me, where it can be bought via PayPal:
http://slideme.org/application/mantano-reader

Cheers,

Karina - Mantano team
Thank you, that is good news. I've been following the changes, and will probably need to convert my files (many of them txt) so that I can implement tags and such, otherwise importing them leaves me with a large number of Untitled Unknown Authors.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #97
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Quote:
Oh well. In lieu of a standard API, I'd still like Mantano to offer "good" dictionaries as an optional purchase. If this is done, having both in-ebook lookup (via a popup) and standalone dictionary lookup and browsing would be ideal.
If it's not usable outside Mantano, then it would be less appealing to purchase the dictionary, provided that the price is more or less the same.

Just "discovered" that I have started a thread in 2010 about this in android-discuss, nobody responded back then. Let me try again...

http://groups.google.com/group/andro...98da44b266d96b

Cheers.

P.S. You guys are probably the 2nd best Android devs whom I've bought an app from (the 1st being Titanium Backup). I mean, good interaction with users, and keep releasing new and useful updates.
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #98
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Silly me. I assumed that all those apps that were pulling up dictionary definitions were using some type of standard Android API. After a bit of Googling myself, it looks like everyone is doing their own thing. Shame on Google for not including an API for this already. I wonder what Aldiko is using?
Joe
Actually there are existing dictionaries like colordict that apps can link to. eReaders like Moon+, and coolreads link to them. I personally like this solution best. This es the user the ability to use their preferred dictionary on any app.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #99
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
According to this thread, lots of progress is being made with this app. Will need to re-evaluate.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #100
savethebutterfly
Nameless Being

Thumbs up

I have now purchased the reader; as it happened, it was on the day of the update. It is good to see that improvements have been made for tablets and Honeycomb, and we had another update today!

I have started working on my wishlist, since there is a thing or two that I would like the reader to have...
Old 07-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #101
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
I would love tosee an enhancement to how PDFs are displayed. I find it quite frustrating that having.zoomed.in o a.page, as soon as yo turn to the next page, it reverts to fully zoomed out. I would prefer the page turns to remain.at the zoom.level.I have set. Other than this niggle, I.am.enjoying the app.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:02 AM   #102
GregoryP
Enthusiast
GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Google Nexus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
I would love tosee an enhancement to how PDFs are displayed. I find it quite frustrating that having.zoomed.in o a.page, as soon as yo turn to the next page, it reverts to fully zoomed out. I would prefer the page turns to remain.at the zoom.level.I have set. Other than this niggle, I.am.enjoying the app.
This is currently being worked on
GregoryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #103
wbhuang
wbhuang began at the beginning.

Device: samsung YP-G70
text selection method needs to be improved

Mantano reader is the first android program I bought.

If I can only keep one ebook reader, the choice would no doubt be Mantano reader.

but there are still rooms for improvement.

I think the most urgent work to be done is text selection method when reading pdf file . Text selection is a basic operation and Mantano 's way is not as easy and smooth as ezpdf
wbhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #104
wbhuang
wbhuang began at the beginning.

Device: samsung YP-G70
It is very difficult for you to select a word near the left border of the touch screen,you can only do this by first choosing the text selection icon and then dragging over the word.( in ezpdf you just long-press a word)

the drag operation needed when selecting several lines of text is also clumsy.

In short I would like to see Mantano reader does text selection more or less like ezpdf and moon reader, which is more visible ,intuitive and smooth.
wbhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #105
Taantric
Taantric began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Nook Color
I just purchased 2 ebooks from Kobo Ebooks. When I open them in Mantano reader on Nook Color CM7, I get corrupted characters in the book. Like half the page is normal text and half is ascii characters.

The reader app is paid version and linked to my Adobe DRM account. All my other DRM EPUB ebooks open fine in Mantano, just these two are giving me this problem. Please help.
Taantric is offline   Reply With Quote