Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Cool 5 inches screen versus 6 inches ?

I have found an eReader that have only 5 inches display
do you think that 5 inches in not suitable for reading ? is it too small ?

thanks
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It is fine for text ebooks that allow reflow. That the length of the lines may change. Most ebooks, that is. But not PDF:s. 6 inches may be to small for PDF:s as well.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
i personally wouldnt go smaller then 6" but if you are near a sony store go check out the 350 vs 650 which will give you a good comparison, some people really like the 5" screens.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I read equally fine on my 6" and 5". I think it all depends on your eye sight...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I love my 5" 350, but it's sadly neglected in favour of its larger cousins, because apparently the bigger the better.

I don't think a 5" is too small, and I find the inch of difference makes the device very portable. I think it's best for somebody with decent eyesight (or conversely, somebody who wears glasses all the time and therefore text size doesn't make any difference to me them). I know on the 350s, you probably don't want to read at large text size or above regularly. You'd be turning the pages a lot if that were the case, and I'm pretty sure this goes for any other 5".

You're best comparing the two sizes in person, if you can.

Last edited by viviena; 12-01-2010 at 06:31 AM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
I love my 5" 350, but it's sadly neglected in favour of its larger cousins, because apparently the bigger the better.

I don't think a 5" is too small, and I find the extra inch of difference makes the device very portable. I think it's best for somebody with decent eyesight (or conversely, somebody who wears glasses all the time and therefore text size doesn't make any difference to me them). I know on the 350s, you probably don't want to read at large text size or above regularly. You'd be turning the pages a lot if that were the case, and I'm pretty sure this goes for any other 5".

You're best comparing the two sizes in person, if you can.

I would go for the 5 inch... the portability is worth it if you are on the go. Plus most of the five inches are very light and more ergonomic to hold and use in my opinion. Unless you are reading lots of graphs/tables/formulas..etc... I would go for the 5 inch...then when you have the extra drachmas... buy a larger screen... 6inch...etc..... I would recommend the Pocketbook 360...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The resolution is the same so the 5in screens are actually sharper.
The real choice is portability versus surface area; at worst, you'll have to page a bit more often. (Not an issue; honest! With a good book you'll get so immersed you lose track of the paging anyway.)
With a good reader like the Pocketbook 360 that lets you control the font size, margins, etc, it is easy to find settings that are both readable and minimize paging.
Most people that chose 5in displays are quite happy with them.

Me, I have both 5 and 6 inchers and I prefer the smaller reader.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
When Sony had their trade in special I decided to get the 350 since I already have a Kindle 3. I figured I didn't need two 6" screens. My first though when I opened it was OMG its so tiny. I wasn't sure I could get used to it. I just got it five days ago and have been using it exclusively to see if the size is okay for me. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to get used to. The size really made a difference the when I take it out with me. So much smaller and easier to fit in my purse than the kindle.

But like everyone else said it really depends on your eyes. I use the small font on the 350. I think if someone needed anything bigger than the medium font they would be better served with a bigger reader.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
I used Kindle 2 and Pocketbook 360 both for a while, but soon found myself reading almost exclusively from the Pocketbook 360 (5"). I did not have the impression that I had to turn pages more often, and it is so much more portable, which is important for me because a lot of my reading gets done on the way to work and back.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote