Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #61
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I believe Cybook did it recently by releasing a Firmware release to support ePUB.
Aren't you over-optimistic? We are still waiting for the upgrade

(The company is Bookeen, Cybook is the product).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #62
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, after spending half an hour on the phone (from the phone number on the trade-in page) the tech support person knew nothing about the upgrade program until I had him look it up on the sonystyle site. At that point he told me he couldn't help me at all and gave me the number for the sonystyle support.

So, I called the sonystyle support to find out why I was able to print the paperwork but not the shipping label, and no email. He started to send me to the sony tech support! Until I practically screamed "NO, I've already been there!".

Both the sony tech and sonystyle support tried to tell me "well it could take 24 hours for anything to go through the system". Of course I told them they were wrong based on the people here that got their emails right away.

After about 20 minutes on hold, and then about 10 minutes talking to this guy, he didn't really know why it wasn't working, but had one suggestion. He couldn't find a record for me having registered on the sonystyle site (me or my wife), so he thought maybe I should try the online process again after registering on the site. (I know for a fact we both registered way back when, but - whatever).

So, long story short (too late?) I registered on the sonystyle site, then went through the firmware upgrade process, and was finally able to get the labels! YAAY!

I guess I just wanted to make sure everyone knows they need to be registered on the sonystyle site before going through this process.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #63
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Aren't you over-optimistic? We are still waiting for the upgrade
(The company is Bookeen, Cybook is the product).
My mistake, I do recall there was an announcement here a while back that mentioned users could upgrade there device to support ePUB at the expense of losing Mobi DRM. Was this a different device or was that just a rumor?
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
My mistake, I do recall there was an announcement here a while back that mentioned users could upgrade there device to support ePUB at the expense of losing Mobi DRM. Was this a different device or was that just a rumor?
That announcement is definitely for the Gen3. But, this mythical ePub firmware has yet to appear so people can flash their devices. And the lack of communication about this firmware is not doing Bookeen any favors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #65
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post

So, long story short (too late?) I registered on the sonystyle site, then went through the firmware upgrade process, and was finally able to get the labels! YAAY!
Great!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #66
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
And I'm betting it will be software only
They probably just need to do some repartitioning of the flash which might be tricky to do with the existing updater.
I was thinking about this and you may well be right. The people betting on it being a hardware update too may be correct.
However another thought is that it indeed could be a software only update - and they are also afraid that Windows 7 users in particular won't be able to perform the update.
After all, the PRS-500 drivers don't work under any version of Windows 7, nor do they work with any 64 bit version of Windows. They may be afraid the the 'Chicken-and-egg' problem. They have this marvellous firmware update but users will not be able to firmware upgrade due to the drivers not working with their current operating system.
How can you perform a firmware upgrade if you can't connect to the device to perform the firmware upgrade?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #67
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Looks like pay back time from Sony to those of us evil people who purchased a PRS-500 and had the audacity to not live in the USA
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #68
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I doubt it. It would be awful in any case. None of these devices actually support the level of precision needed to provide this is a reasonable way that does not strain your eyes.
Can you explain what you mean here?

Justification is actually quite a simple algorithm. It was one of my first programming projects!

Also, I have been using LRF exclusively for 3 years, and have never had eye strain. And the books I generate from are often exactly the same HTML as ePUBs.

Mainly I'm curious as to how justified ePUBs would cause eye strain.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #69
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
Looks like pay back time from Sony to those of us evil people who purchased a PRS-500 and had the audacity to not live in the USA
Don't worry, where there is a will, there is a way
Old 11-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #70
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
The PRS-500 doesn't work on the Mac either, just FYI.

I'd be happy to send in if it added either (a) faster response time or (b) Mac support so I don't have to boot Parallels/Windows to use Sony s/w with my 500.

Also of note, my battery is losing some of its life. Not a major issue, but I have lost at least 1/4 life. Might be a reason to choose the upgrade option. Though I don't like the pagination buttons on the 300, or the required touch screen of the 600 (and reduced sharpness).

-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I was thinking about this and you may well be right. The people betting on it being a hardware update too may be correct.
However another thought is that it indeed could be a software only update - and they are also afraid that Windows 7 users in particular won't be able to perform the update.
After all, the PRS-500 drivers don't work under any version of Windows 7, nor do they work with any 64 bit version of Windows. They may be afraid the the 'Chicken-and-egg' problem. They have this marvellous firmware update but users will not be able to firmware upgrade due to the drivers not working with their current operating system.
How can you perform a firmware upgrade if you can't connect to the device to perform the firmware upgrade?
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #71
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I decided to get my PRS500 upgraded. I had planned to mail it off tomorrow. I just received the following message. It makes nosense to me.

Warranty Status: Out of Warranty

Note: Your model is part of a Sony exchange program. However, the direct
replacement is not currently available. You can send your
unit in and you will be contacted for more information and alternative
models available.

Terms and conditions:
---------------------
Based upon the information you entered, your unit appears to qualify for the Flat Rate pricing quoted above. Flat Rate pricing does not apply to non-consumer products, units requiring replacement of the display device (such as: projection and TV picture tubes, optical blocks, plasma and LCD panels), any condition resulting from physical abuse, misuse, or excessive wear, units older than seven (7) years from last market date or damage resulting from prior unauthorized service. If, upon examination, it is determined that your unit does not qualify for Flat Rate pricing, then a parts and labor repair quote will be given to you.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #72
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
Quote:

I guess I just wanted to make sure everyone knows they need to be registered on the sonystyle site before going through this process.
Do you mean that you need to be on SonyStyle or that your device needs to be registered on SonyStyle?

And did you start over again on the Sony Repair site after all of this, creating a new work order?

I'm having the same problem you were and would appreciate the help. Thanks!
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #73
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkit View Post
Do you mean that you need to be on SonyStyle or that your device needs to be registered on SonyStyle?

And did you start over again on the Sony Repair site after all of this, creating a new work order?

I'm having the same problem you were and would appreciate the help. Thanks!
What I had to do was register on sonystyle. After that I was able to go through the firmware upgrade steps and everything worked. So yes, I had to register myself on sonystyle, and log in, then the process worked for me.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:47 AM   #74
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
The PRS-500 doesn't work on the Mac either, just FYI.

I'd be happy to send in if it added either (a) faster response time or (b) Mac support so I don't have to boot Parallels/Windows to use Sony s/w with my 500.

Also of note, my battery is losing some of its life. Not a major issue, but I have lost at least 1/4 life. Might be a reason to choose the upgrade option. Though I don't like the pagination buttons on the 300, or the required touch screen of the 600 (and reduced sharpness).

-Pie
I knew about Mac; I was just too polite to rub it in to others
You however can manage your memory stick with a Mac and memory card writer though. Although it's nicer to do it with a new PC than the old 300 MHz PowerMac I have around the place
Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #75
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
Quote:
What I had to do was register on sonystyle. After that I was able to go through the firmware upgrade steps and everything worked. So yes, I had to register myself on sonystyle, and log in, then the process worked for me.
Well, I had to call Sony. Luckily, the woman I spoke with knew exactly what I was talking about, and she put in the request to UPS to send me a new shipping label. I won't believe that worked until the label is actually emailed to me, but at least their customer service reps seem to have been informed about the upgrade now!
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote