Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #61
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Or don't turn on wi-fi
Which does nothing if you're already updated.
Quote:
What firmware version do you have?
BookCat's Kindle, as stated, is still being shipped. Nevertheless, I am fairly sure all KindlePW2s now being shipped come with 5.4.2 or 5.4.2.1
Quote:
I have 5.4.2. and have not registered it or setup wi-fi cause I like it the way it is. For some reason Goodreads is not on my PW2 and I don't want it or need it. That is too much like a tablet to me. Been there and done that. I do my surfing with a computer. But that is me
As far as I know, 5.4.2.1 is only a bugfix. I do know that 5.4.2 definitely has Goodreads, so you must be in an unsupported country. You cannot avoid Goodreads by not getting the 5.4.2.1 firmware, so please don't suggest it (like you did here).
Quote:
I like the software differences like bookmarks, you can delete you old ones as you go along. I like I can have page numbers now. I like the lighting better too. I think the page turns are more responsive on mine compared to the PW1.
You could always delete bookmarks. Page Numbers have been available since the Kindle Keyboard, the PW2 is nothing special in this regard.

Lighting and responsiveness are good points though.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #62
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The PW2 has added page numbers to what cycles in the lower left hand corner of your book such that they can be visible all the time. I don't believe the PW1 has this update yet.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #63
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If you are worried about battery I would recommend Kindle Keyboard or Kindle 4 over Kindle Paperwhite. That light is nice and all, but it drains a hell of a lot quicker then Kindle Keyboard.

(I have both)
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:14 AM   #64
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've finally received the paperwhite 2, and though I ordered it direct from Amazon and sent them an email asking for it to be pre-registered, it's arrived unregistered! It's demanding a wi-fi connection to be registered.

Is there some way of registering it via the usb? I'm really not impressed that the upper left says 'My Kindle' rather than 'Catherine's Kindle'.

P.S. I'm on bad terms at the mo with the 'friend' whose wi-fi I was going to borrow, so don't want to ask him about this.

Last edited by BookCat; 02-21-2014 at 06:17 AM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #65
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've finally received the paperwhite 2, and though I ordered it direct from Amazon and sent them an email asking for it to be pre-registered, it's arrived unregistered! It's demanding a wi-fi connection to be registered.

Is there some way of registering it via the usb? I'm really not impressed that the upper left says 'My Kindle' rather than 'Catherine's Kindle'.
There is no way to register without Wi-Fi. Maybe you could find the serial in the settings, and then call Amazon to register it for you.

However, there are three things you gain by doing so, all of which require Wi-Fi to function:

- syncing
- auto-delivery
- cloud collections

As your Kindle is not on Wi-Fi most of the time, it's of no use to register.

If you still want to, can't you pinch a Wi-Fi at the library, or Starbucks, or something? Most libraries and many lunchrooms over here have Wi-Fi for free.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:32 AM   #66
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You haven't given anyone karma in two months??

The rule is 10 ppl max per day, and never the same person two times in a row.
Sorry for the off-topic but, yes I guess I haven't given any since I 'thanked' you and HarryT two months ago (was it that long!). I don't hand out karma willy nilly to just anyone!

Quote:

P.S. I'm on bad terms at the mo with the 'friend' whose wi-fi I was going to borrow, so don't want to ask him about this.
Yes it will only be registered to you on Amazon, that is it pre-registered. You have to connect via wi-fi to complete the registration, basically it just links your Kindle to Amazon, it's already set up on their servers to do so.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 02-21-2014 at 08:35 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #67
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have spoken to Amazon who say that the reader is already registered to me, but this won't show on the reader unless it's connected via wi-fi. The guy on phone was very helpful when I said I intended to load all books through the usb and he went into detail about how to do this.
Thanks.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #68
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would try to find a local coffee shop or restaurant or library to connect it by Wi-fi. One time I broke a Kindle Keyboard while on vacation. I couldn't go all vacation without my books! I bought a new one at a local store and then drove to Starbucks across the street and enjoyed a latte while I registered my Kindle and downloaded my books. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #69
BookCat
C L J

Before I moved area, this would have been much easier. I lived in a studenty area where there were coffee shops with wi-fi access. But in the place I live now (a quiet, suburban area where the residents are mostly elderly) it's much harder to find a coffee house. I think there's a Costa not too far away, but I don't think it has wi-fi access, I don't think there's a local Starbucks. I'd have to go into B'ham city centre to find one of those.

When/if I'm on better terms with that 'friend' I'll ask him, meanwhile I'll do a google search for local hotspots.

Googled and discovered that the local Macdonald's has wi-fi.

Last edited by BookCat; 02-21-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #70
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Castle Vale has free WiFi

Quote:
Have spoken to Amazon who say that the reader is already registered to me, but this won't show on the reader unless it's connected via wi-fi. The guy on phone was very helpful when I said I intended to load all books through the usb and he went into detail about how to do this.
Thanks.
If you live in Birmingham, UK, go to Castle Vale to get free WiFi per this link:

http://recombu.com/digital/news/birm...fi_M12837.html
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #71
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Still, I don't understand why you don't just have Wi-Fi switched on in your router, and set a key for it. You don't have to use it, except when you want to.

It won't bite or anything

The only thing on my Wi-Fi at home are my mobile phone and tablet; all the rest is wired because Wi-Fi is just too slow.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #72
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Costa's website says they have 30 minutes of free Wi-fi partnered with O2 supposedly rolled out nationwide a year or so ago. Can't say I've really paid attention when I've been in one. I wish I had a Costa by my house. I like them better than Starbucks. Their gingerbread latte at Christmas time was so delicious!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #73
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Before I moved area, this would have been much easier. I lived in a studenty area where there were coffee shops with wi-fi access. But in the place I live now (a quiet, suburban area where the residents are mostly elderly) it's much harder to find a coffee house. I think there's a Costa not too far away, but I don't think it has wi-fi access, I don't think there's a local Starbucks. I'd have to go into B'ham city centre to find one of those.

When/if I'm on better terms with that 'friend' I'll ask him, meanwhile I'll do a google search for local hotspots.

If there is a public library near where you live that might be another place where you can find an open wifi hotspot. I know my own local library has it available for anyone who brings their own computer/reader with them. An option to think about anyway assuming that your library does have internet access.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #74
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
BookCat--

I think Katsunami has a good point--you could set up your home router for wi-fi and just turn it on when you need to use it--for occasions such as this. Then as soon as your Kindle is registered simply turn the wi-fi off again.

By the way, congrats on your new reader!! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've been enjoying mine over the last few months!!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #75
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Which does nothing if you're already updated.

BookCat's Kindle, as stated, is still being shipped. Nevertheless, I am fairly sure all KindlePW2s now being shipped come with 5.4.2 or 5.4.2.1

As far as I know, 5.4.2.1 is only a bugfix. I do know that 5.4.2 definitely has Goodreads, so you must be in an unsupported country. You cannot avoid Goodreads by not getting the 5.4.2.1 firmware, so please don't suggest it (like you did here).

You could always delete bookmarks. Page Numbers have been available since the Kindle Keyboard, the PW2 is nothing special in this regard.

Lighting and responsiveness are good points though.
Do you have a PW2? Sorry no Goodreads on my PW2. Can't tell you why, but just saying....
new is offline   Reply With Quote