Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #826
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm hanging right at 79k. Still not eating 'big' meals... trying to keep the calories below 1200 instead of the 900 when I was working at it. Only taking long walks every other day or so, but really pushing when we walk. I'm comfortable at this weight, but wouldn't mind dropping another 3-4kg. In March I'm going to start a regimen of muscle building to get in better shape for our move back into the jungle in June/July.

Stitchawl
Remember that you'll probably want to ramp up your protein intake when you start to build muscle. The usual advice seems to be that the average sedentary adult needs 45 grams of protein a day but if you work out an hour a day to build muscle you'll need to add about 60 grams to that. I've always considered that too much to try to consume when I'm try to cut calories to burn fat so I've stuck with cardio workouts for that purpose and average about 65 grams per day. The transition from exercising and eating to lose fat to exercising and eating to maintain weight and build strength is going to be interesting. But I'm hoping I get my weight down far enough that it becomes relevant. Anyway, good luck, Stichy.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #827
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Remember that you'll probably want to ramp up your protein intake when you start to build muscle. The usual advice seems to be that the average sedentary adult needs 45 grams of protein a day but if you work out an hour a day to build muscle you'll need to add about 60 grams to that. I've always considered that too much to try to consume when I'm try to cut calories to burn fat so I've stuck with cardio workouts for that purpose and average about 65 grams per day. The transition from exercising and eating to lose fat to exercising and eating to maintain weight and build strength is going to be interesting. But I'm hoping I get my weight down far enough that it becomes relevant. Anyway, good luck, Stichy.

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have my bag of "Super Duper Chocolate Flavored Whey Protein" on the shelf. I'm still getting the cardio from our 5k-10k speed walks and stair climbing. I've been doing regular PT in the house, but without pushing. It's that 'push' that I'm going to add to my upper body workouts. I've already got good definition in my arms and shoulders. I need more in my lats and all the different abs. I want to look positively dangerous when I hit the beaches this summer...

On the down side... I've discovered Krispy Kreme Donuts is now in Osaka...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #828
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good news for me this week - I am now officially "overweight" rather than "obese"; my BMI has fallen below 30 .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #829
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Congratulations, Harry! Keep it up.

I'm now seriously back on my diet, intending to lose the last 3-4kg that I don't want.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #830
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good news for me this week - I am now officially "overweight" rather than "obese"; my BMI has fallen below 30 .
Well done, Harry! But you may not be allowed to shop at Wal-Mart if you lose much more. (Don't let that dissuade you though. All the other stores will be happy to have your custom!)

Stitchawl
Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #831
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx

Congratulation, Harry! Keep on walking!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #832
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Well done Harry. That's better than Schwarzenegger at the height of his bodybuilding career! He had a BMI of 33
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #833
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I did a bit of research on this BMI thing... And I don't think it's all that valid to use as in indicator of good health. As Orlok says, when Arnie was cut and polished, he was way over his BMI for 'healthy.' Right now mine says that I'm at 25... overweight! Yet I'm at the same weight I was when I was tournament fighting, and in the very best condition possible.

Stitchawl
Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #834
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I did a bit of research on this BMI thing... And I don't think it's all that valid to use as in indicator of good health. As Orlok says, when Arnie was cut and polished, he was way over his BMI for 'healthy.' Right now mine says that I'm at 25... overweight! Yet I'm at the same weight I was when I was tournament fighting, and in the very best condition possible.

Stitchawl
And mine is currently only 24 despite my being at least twenty pounds overweight. Perhaps BMI is a useful rule of thumb, but it is a rough one at best.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #835
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
And mine is currently only 24 despite my being at least twenty pounds overweight. Perhaps BMI is a useful rule of thumb, but it is a rough one at best.
In my not so humble opinion, 'Rules of Thumb' are only good for picking out which willow branch to use. Too many people interpret 'rule of thumb' to mean ABSOLUTE RULE. I remember reading that there was some controversy about BMI but as I was already waaaay over the legal limit at the time I preferred to just bury my head in the sand and not pay close attention to what was being said. I was pretty amazed at what the various research documents were saying, both pro and con.

Stitchawl
Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #836
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Congratulations Harry!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:48 AM   #837
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
BMI is only useful as a guide. If you have a lot of muscle, you will have a higher BMI without necessarily having excess fat.

But unless you are a professional athlete or otherwise work to maintain a large muscle mass, BMI isn't too bad.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #838
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
BMI is only useful as a guide. If you have a lot of muscle, you will have a higher BMI without necessarily having excess fat.

But unless you are a professional athlete or otherwise work to maintain a large muscle mass, BMI isn't too bad.
As I do with statistics, I'm going to stick with what I can see with my own two eyes. Right now I can't pinch any 'love handles' even if I bend to the side. There is no excess there. And I can see my abs clearly, so no longer a cover layer of fat there either. I haven't done the electronic thing with my scale to measure inter-organ fat, but I have difficulty imagining that there is much left there either. Supposedly, that's the easiest to get rid of.

To actually reach the 'healthy' mark on the BMI charts, I'd either have to grow another 6 inches or lose 4-5 more kilo. I'm opting to grow...

Stitchawl
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #839
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
heheheh

BMI is ridiculous. I am 5'7" tall and weigh 169 (11 pounds down baby) but I am still 9 pounds over weight. You wouldn't be able to tell that if you looked at me.

I can afford to lose more weight, I have 9 more pounds to go to hit my goal and I might very well drop 5 pounds after that, but I seriously doubt I will get to my "ideal weight" of 130. 160 will put me at the high end of the good scale, actially .1 over in the over weight side.

Personally, I go by how I feel and what I can do. I try and exercise 3-5 days a week. I take care of a 7 month old, with all of the lifting, carrying, walking, bending, scooping, and moving a wiggly 22 pounbd boy entails. I am tired but that is more because of an improving sleep schedule but still not ideal. My clothes fit great, I am eating reasonably healthy. So I am not worried.

I'll work on dropping the weight because I can without depriving myself too much and because it will help me. Hopefully the next 10-15 pounds will be as easy as the first 9 were.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #840
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Definitely good news.

Me, I seem to be the same weight and waist size I was as a teenager ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote