Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #166
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
we determined that I more or less "absorb" the whole page at once, take a bit to process it then go to the next page
Nice! I wonder how that works. Where on the page do you look? Or do you sort of gaze at the page out of focus to see everything at once? Someone I used to know could also do this.

Quote:
I think you almost need to have a brain wired a certain way for it to work,
Is that for the "absorption" method, or also the speed reading?

Thanks for sharing!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #167
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you gone through the setup & registration steps?
Yep, did the setup. Opened Windows Explorer, copied an ePub to the root directory and then ejected the device from the Desktop app. Before unplugging I made sure the drive did not show up in Windows Explorer. I'll try the Save to Disk in Calibre and see if that makes a difference.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #168
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Nice! I wonder how that works. Where on the page do you look? Or do you sort of gaze at the page out of focus to see everything at once? Someone I used to know could also do this.
Glad to know I'm not alone, they just thought I was weird. I've never really been good at explaining it, more or less the center of the page, it has to be in focus, but I'm not focusing on any words but the entire page, does that make sense?

Quote:
Quote:
I think you almost need to have a brain wired a certain way for it to work,
Is that for the "absorption" method, or also the speed reading?
I think a bit for both, but definitely for the "absorption" method (sounds like I should be able to put the book under my pillow doesn't it?)
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #169
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Yep, did the setup. Opened Windows Explorer, copied an ePub to the root directory and then ejected the device from the Desktop app. Before unplugging I made sure the drive did not show up in Windows Explorer. I'll try the Save to Disk in Calibre and see if that makes a difference.
Reconnecting and ejecting the drive from my mac worked. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #170
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
Glad to know I'm not alone, they just thought I was weird.
Not being alone doesn't mean you're not weird But weird is good, in my opinion.
Quote:
I've never really been good at explaining it, more or less the center of the page, it has to be in focus, but I'm not focusing on any words but the entire page, does that make sense?
It does actually. Sort of like using your side vision, but more dominantly than usual. But if everything comes at you at the same time, doesn't that spoil exciting parts of books, where at the top of the page something scary is happening but the bottom of the page explains it or something... you'd never get the excitement of being scared because you already know it'll all be alright at the bottom of the page?

Quote:
I think a bit for both, but definitely for the "absorption" method (sounds like I should be able to put the book under my pillow doesn't it?)
Mm. (Naah, sounds like you're superman )

I think I'll keep trying the "regular" speed reading then. I just realised (talking about thrillers) that when I'm really eager to know what'll happen next in a book, I do suddenly pick up speed and find myself losing the inner voice... So apparently I can do it, I just need to figure out how I do it so I can "switch it on."

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 10-04-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #171
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Reconnecting and ejecting the drive from my mac worked. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #172
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
You said you ejected the device from the Desktop app. Does that mean you were connected to the Desktop app while you did the copy? I wonder if there was some kind of interference. At the risk of stating something you already know, you can also eject the device from Windows Explorer > Computer, keeping the Desktop app closed and out of the way.

(I did see your update that connecting and ejecting using your Mac worked, so this is probably moot.)
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #173
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
Every time I "slide" my eyes over a line to practice picking up multiple words
Instead, try taking each line in chunks - start with 2-3 words, then blip to the next two or three, move on to the next chunk, etc. As you practice, you will take in a line in fewer and fewer pieces, with more words/chunk. That's when you gain the speed.

sombreastre - I assure you that it works for anyone who doesn't have to spell out the words to understand them - the whole idea is to get away from subconscious vocalization. It's not just a scam.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #174
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
You said you ejected the device from the Desktop app. Does that mean you were connected to the Desktop app while you did the copy? I wonder if there was some kind of interference.
I was connected to the Desktop app, so there could have been. I have read about a couple of other people having the same problem so maybe you are on to something.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #175
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Just opened my Glo and the lighted screen is really nice. The lighting is totally even save a brighter bar along the top. In the flourescent lights of the office, I would call it bluish. I'll evaluate in the dark at home.
At home at night in a room lit with lamps, the lighted screen is a lot less blue. At a low setting for the light the screen looks white and the contrast is really good. I like that the light setting is maintained from sleep to wake. I'm really happy with my choice!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #176
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
This is a silly question, but how much charge did the reader have when you took it right out of the box?

I'm hoping the Chapters near us is putting them out today, I'd really like to get my hands on one. From everything I've seen, it looks like the KG could be a genuine contender to the Kindle Paperwhite.
Mine was at 52% give or take

Fits in the case of the regular kobo touch, the one with the eleastic corners at all four locations. super fast at processing my ebooks

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #177
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Not being alone doesn't mean you're not weird But weird is good, in my opinion.

It does actually. Sort of like using your side vision, but more dominantly than usual. But if everything comes at you at the same time, doesn't that spoil exciting parts of books, where at the top of the page something scary is happening but the bottom of the page explains it or something... you'd never get the excitement of being scared because you already know it'll all be alright at the bottom of the page?

Mm. (Naah, sounds like you're superman )

I think I'll keep trying the "regular" speed reading then. I just realised (talking about thrillers) that when I'm really eager to know what'll happen next in a book, I do suddenly pick up speed and find myself losing the inner voice... So apparently I can do it, I just need to figure out how I do it so I can "switch it on."
As Mrs. Often says, weird is good. Normal is boring (it's our eccentricities and peculiarities which make us interesting).

As for the speed reading. I used to be able to do something with the whole page absorption thing but with diagrams and with auditory stimuli (I could just sit and absorb six conversations at once) but it's like any skill, it gets rusty with disuse. As for more "normal" speedreading, I am sometimes able to read quite a bit faster and process all the information and forget about the imaginary auditory accompaniment ringing out inside my head. But I have to say is that I enjoy books a lot more when I don't speed read. Books are all about the storytelling, which is like theatre, creating a setting, little by little as the lights come on and illuminate the different parta of the stage. Revealing to us the characters while the shadows hide things unbeknownst to us and villains hide in the wings.

But I do agree that speed reading could be quite beneficial as a mandatory course for students though you could only give them credit for participation and not actually grade them (how unfair would it be to punish someone with a low grade just for not having their brains like so, not to mention the torture such a course would be for anyone with dyslexia).

And just to pretend that I am not promulgating an off topic conversation...

Thanks for the first impressions, I like to be aware of what to expect (and even knowing what to expect I am normally also pleasantly surprised and enjoy my new toys).

as for those with "bright pixels." If they are at all like bright pixels on LCDs or dust under a smartphone screen you eventually get used to it. It might take a few days or a few months to get used to it (it depends entirely on just how noticeable it is and on your personality) but you'll eventually get so used to it that you won't really notice it unless something makes you think about it and you actively look for it.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #178
Auricle
Connoisseur
Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Just picked up my Glo at Chapters today. So far so good. And I was able to load an Epub to it though it took me a bit to go through all the initial hoops. There's probably other ways to do this but here's what I had to do (and this seems to be the way suggested by Kobo according to their help).
- First I had to install Kobe Desktop and synch and update the Glo
- Then I had to install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Google for it.
- Then I had to login in to my Adobe ID. I had an Adobe ID already so I just used it.
- Then I had to Authorize my computer in ADE
- Then I had to Authorise my Glo in ADE
- Then I had to load my Epub in ADE
- Finally I used ADE to load the Epub to my Glo

Of course, now that all this is setup, it should be much more straightforward.

Hope this helps anybody else doing this for the first time.
Auricle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #179
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricle View Post
Just picked up my Glo at Chapters today. So far so good. And I was able to load an Epub to it though it took me a bit to go through all the initial hoops. There's probably other ways to do this but here's what I had to do (and this seems to be the way suggested by Kobo according to their help).
- First I had to install Kobe Desktop and synch and update the Glo
- Then I had to install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Google for it.
- Then I had to login in to my Adobe ID. I had an Adobe ID already so I just used it.
- Then I had to Authorize my computer in ADE
- Then I had to Authorise my Glo in ADE
- Then I had to load my Epub in ADE
- Finally I used ADE to load the Epub to my Glo

Of course, now that all this is setup, it should be much more straightforward.

Hope this helps anybody else doing this for the first time.
Yep, and they wonder why people get confused. My wife just cannot understand all this merry-go-round. Most of it is because of DRM of course - not Kobo's fault - but the consumer doesn't, nor should they have to, make that distinction.

Before someone says -just stick to Kobo's desktop and their store - remember, many of us want to use local libraries, and we HAVE to use Adobe DE and their DRM for that.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #180
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricle View Post
And I was able to load an Epub to it though it took me a bit to go through all the initial hoops.
With Calibre not having a suitable driver when I purchased my Glo, I sent an epub to desktop. Connected Glo to PC (windows 7), then right clicked it and sent it to device.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote