Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #616
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
@geekmaster you couldnt imho be more wrong on your part.

The motivation to "diss" the member who provided such a shallow question had nothing to do with a "passing on" motive. My motives are explained in the prior posts. Noob or not, to ask if there is such an option when looking at the options once would provide the answer is a ballzy move, you have to agree.

Then again I was not "dissing" the user who provided the answer (i did as well if you care to read more closely), also the second posting was adressed to the first user who finally got it the way he wanted - dont look for yourself, dont even try to learn the way a straight forward piece of software (from an ui perspective) works, dont bother asking in depth what you actually mean - just spout out 3-5 words of minimalistic question asking and let the internet do your bidding.

Of course you must protect such behavior. Because we not only nurture our noobs, no - we feel that asking before doing the slightest bit of research (actually research doesnt even fit in this context) is a viable mode of behavior in community forums. Much more viable than a bit of cynicism.

In the question to Kovid case I did search the forum prior to asking, I did search google - to no avail, because I had insufficient clues on how to single out the problem in search. As you can imagine searching for "Cover" in regard to the cover that only shows up in the Kindle Interface upon longpress is entirely futile. I didn't complain when Kovid answered though.

Last edited by notimp; 08-27-2012 at 03:44 PM.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #617
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Nice try, but I think you missed a few of the requirements:
http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/88q1/13785.8.html
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #618
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Will read asap. And no - dont want a flamewar here (please dont), just wanted to drop a bit of cynicism, thats all. Its a personal thing.

I cant stand onelined openly phrased questions where the person who answers has to answer for more than one eventuality (what did he actually mean), especially when the person asking, could have found out for him/herself with minimal effort, prior to asking. (Strike the "flaming" conotation from that sentence... ) For me such questions are linked to a "enthusiasts communities are the better clerks, faster, more accurate" attitude which I deeply despise...

But again, its a personal thing.

Last edited by notimp; 08-27-2012 at 04:13 PM.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #619
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, in part it is a general thing or things:

Often people do not post a well organized question. Making a well organized reply difficult or impossible.

Some questions, regardless of how well thought out and written are just to "open ended" for creating a specific reply.

And then the entire bad situation is only made worse, when someone (like myself, today) is suffering from an attack of "smart-ass".

Of possible interest - take note of the date on that humor page, its 27 years old - this problem has been around a long time - longer than the public internet (it was still ARPNET at that time).

Reading the posts on this forum, you can find a lot of instances of #8.
I even used that one myself a few times, somewhere on this forum.

The author writes: "In the time I have been posting to net ..."
That is Usenet, not the Internet.

Last edited by knc1; 08-27-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #620
kindleowner
kindleowner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
iXtab, I've been reading about JBPatch with much interest. Has/how can this be ported to K3 devices? I'm predominantly interested in the cover view. Apologies if the answer is buried in the preceding 42 pages.

[edit] to qualify above, I simply chucked the 2.3.1 install bin in my kindle keyboard and it didn't work. Update Kindle remained greyed out.

Last edited by kindleowner; 08-27-2012 at 04:52 PM.
kindleowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #621
knc1
Going Viral

It has not been ported.
It may not be possible to port to the K3 devices because the systems are very different.
Greyed out is correct - the package does not work for the model of Kindle you are trying to install it on - so it will not install.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #622
kindleowner
kindleowner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the assumption that due to similar java frameworks existing across Kindles, it could be possible.
kindleowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #623
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by notimp View Post
Will read asap. And no - dont want a flamewar here (please dont), just wanted to drop a bit of cynicism, thats all. Its a personal thing.

I cant stand onelined openly phrased questions where the person who answers has to answer for more than one eventuality (what did he actually mean), especially when the person asking, could have found out for him/herself with minimal effort, prior to asking. (Strike the "flaming" conotation from that sentence... ) For me such questions are linked to a "enthusiasts communities are the better clerks, faster, more accurate" attitude which I deeply despise...

But again, its a personal thing.
We have all felt the urge to say things that in retrospect seem a bit disrespectful of others. It is all too tempting to answer with RTFM, but I stopped using that after a huge flamewar erupted from non-technical people who came here from the ebook reading crowd, when they took it as an insult (much more than its humorous intent amongst techogeeks).

Nowadays, we just suggest they go read this: http://whathaveyoutried.com

Your post did seem a bit harsh and a bit broad, but that was my own interpretation. I have occasionally been proven to be human, with various accompanying foibles associated with that condition, and one of those is occasional misinterpretation of intent in a post such as yours. English is prone to that with various words having multiple meanings, often allowing statements to be interpreted more than one way, leading to perceived ill will where none may have been intended. Flame wars are made of this, wherein English is a powerful weapon with which to shoot your opponent or yourself in the foot. Simple URLs as shown above are a much safer weapon of choice.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-27-2012 at 06:06 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #624
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleowner View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the assumption that due to similar java frameworks existing across Kindles, it could be possible.
Well, I may be wrong then. I have been making mistakes a lot today.

But I seem to recall the author answering that question in the past, perhaps somewhere in this same thread.

You would probably be better served to page through the posts in this thread than take my word for it today.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #625
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Even the K5 firmware 5.0.x and 5.1.x are not all that similar. JBPatch has not even been ported to 5.0.x firmware. Porting to K3 would be more difficult. But don't let that stop you from trying. You can start with ixtab's published source code. And please share your results.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #626
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
iXtab, I've been reading about JBPatch with much interest. Has/how can this be ported to K3 devices? I'm predominantly interested in the cover view. Apologies if the answer is buried in the preceding 42 pages.

[edit] to qualify above, I simply chucked the 2.3.1 install bin in my kindle keyboard and it didn't work. Update Kindle remained greyed out.
I asked this question before, without realizing it would require more than the knowledge I have. ixtab suggested to me [and i suggest this to anyone who wants to port] to go look at the source for it, and find a way to hook JBPatch into the system.

Go check out:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...73#post2164573
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #627
kindleloh
kindleloh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi all,

I have updated the JBPatch to 2.3.1 and enjoy very much the process bar. Thank you very much ixtab. For this process bar I would like to ask for an additional feature.

The process bar is based on the whole book size. If a book has chapters, is it possible to only show the chapter statistic? I mean the process bar reflects the chapter length and the indication what is the remaining part.

It would be useful if a book has a lot of chapters and you want to read until next chapter. Then you need no painful scrolling within the book.
kindleloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #628
flashmozzg
Enthusiast
flashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
Ixtab's JBPatch has a patch to resize Kindle margins when reading either ebooks and PDFs. Install it carefully following instructions and enjoy this excellent work.

By the way if PDF has margins itself, to get rid of them you should modify it (for example, using Briss).
Thanks. Somehow missed it. Had to restart my kindle for changes to apply.
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #629
HiRsch
HiRsch began at the beginning.

hi there,
I have a weird problem with hyphenation and text justification. I have a book that just does not want to be justified and/or hyphenated. I tried converting from mobi to mobi as mentioned in the wiki, I even converted the mobi to epub and that epub back to a mobi. I changed the language to check if anything happens at all. It does show up in the log as detected and the language rules are loaded, but nothing happens to the actual layout, neither text justification nor hyphenation.
I am running all the latest jbpatch files as of 10 minutes ago.

this is the original mobi file, maybe you can find anything in there...

thanks a lot for all your work mate, i appreciate it a lot.

Last edited by HiRsch; 08-29-2012 at 08:51 AM.
HiRsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #630
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRsch View Post
hi there,
I have a weird problem with hyphenation and text justification. I have a book that just does not want to be justified and/or hyphenated. I tried converting from mobi to mobi as mentioned in the wiki, I even converted the mobi to epub and that epub back to a mobi. I changed the language to check if anything happens at all. It does show up in the log as detected and the language rules are loaded, but nothing happens to the actual layout, neither text justification nor hyphenation.
I am running all the latest jbpatch files as of 10 minutes ago.

this is the original mobi file, maybe you can find anything in there...

thanks a lot for all your work mate, i appreciate it a lot.
PLEASE EDIT YOUR POST TO REMOVE THE LINK TO COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL! Distributing copyrighted material is not allowed on Mobileread, and you may get banned for doing so.

That said, I have downloaded it for testing purposes (yes, I have already deleted it again). After converting the book from mobi to mobi, the hyphenation does work, but the alignment doesn't. I don't know what the reason is, but it's probably due to the book itself specifying that the text is not aligned.

But I'm not an expert on mobi/KF8/epub formats, and I can't look into every single book... You may have more luck by asking in a book formats-related subforum about how to fix the alignment. Good luck
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks