Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
Does anyone have any warranty info?

I checked the kobo page and there is no info specific to the kobo vox, just the other ereaders.

I'd like to know where to take it for a warranty claim or if it has to be sent in where to send it, how long does it take, will I have to pay shipping, and will I get my original vox back or will it be a refurbished version?

I'm guess I'm leaning towards buying the vox and will be trying out the demo model today at Chapters.

Just as a general comment, it's amazing the lack of specific info on the kobo web site. And I notice there is at least 1 kobo rep on here but he's dosen't seem to be responding to many questions people have.

Any way, off to Chapters......
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Vox
I can't address your warranty query, but I can submit my opinion that James - KoboJW (a kobo rep as far as I can tell) has certainly had his share of posts here. I imagine that he has things to do other than to reply to every single question as soon as it is posted here. I think his representation here has been more than we should expect. It's the release of a new model. I imagine he has his hands full.
GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Yes, a little busy here these days! Doing my best to monitor this forum and respond when I can. I'm not a customer service rep here (not an official one), but I am the design lead on Vox, so I have a pretty vested interest in what's going on out in wild with Vox!

As for warranty info, remarkably I can't find it either! We do have one, and we have extended plans. I'll get back to you if I find something.

BTW - Vox isn't in Chapters/Indigo yet. Not 'till Friday...

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post

James

most seem to have at least a demo unit, which is what it sounds like he wants to check, unless they've pulled those too?
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
The clerk at BestBuy told me that there was a 1 year warranty on the Vox
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
Quote:

James
I was just at the Indigio in downtown Calgary and they have them for sale in ice blue and black today, right now as I type this.
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Warranty information can be found at a link at the bottom of this page:

http://www.kobo.com/bronze-protectio...-kobo-vox.html

Direct link: http://download.kobobooks.com/learnm...ionPlan_TC.pdf

It includes details for our extended warranties, as well as the standard one. There are some editing errors referencing Touch in those docs, I noticed. They are being fixed now.

James
Old 11-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
ron1959
Connoisseur

Quote:
Warranty information can be found at a link at the bottom of this page:

http://www.kobo.com/bronze-protectio...-kobo-vox.html

Direct link: http://download.kobobooks.com/learnm...ionPlan_TC.pdf

It includes details for our extended warranties, as well as the standard one. There are some editing errors referencing Touch in those docs, I noticed. They are being fixed now.

James
Hi James - thanks for taking the time to read and respond to the users here.
I read through the info you linked & I hope you don't mind if I follow up with a couple more questions.

I live in the Vancouver area and was wondering if there is a Kobo warranty/service center in this area: Ontario is a long way to ship something from here.
Also I gather the warranty would *not* cover the battery, the charger, or the usb cable so can you provide some info on the replacement costs of those items?

BTW - how long is the useful life of the battery? At some point it will need to be replaced and I couldn't find any info on the kobo site on how to replace it or what it would cost.

Thanks again for your help...
Old 11-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox

Hi Ron - no problem about the questions, except I don't have those answers! I know that we have plans to sell the accessories, but I have no idea about the cost. The USB cable is standard, so you can find it anywhere. The battery is a standard Li-Ion polymer pack, so maybe you can find some typical lifespans and extrapolate from that? Sorry, not much help here....

I can tell you that we do not have a service center in BC, to my knowledge.

James
Old 11-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
ron1959
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hi Ron - no problem about the questions, except I don't have those answers! I know that we have plans to sell the accessories, but I have no idea about the cost. The USB cable is standard, so you can find it anywhere. The battery is a standard Li-Ion polymer pack, so maybe you can find some typical lifespans and extrapolate from that? Sorry, not much help here....

I can tell you that we do not have a service center in BC, to my knowledge.

James
Ok - thanks..I'll be on the lookout for accessories as they become available.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
ron1959
Connoisseur

Hi James - just a quick follow up on a different topic.
It would be nice if the Kobo site provided travel information for ereaders. (if it is there, sorry I couldn't find it).

Ebook readers are awesome for travelling. When I was in Chapters yesterday a couple bought 2 of the vox and were on their way to Jamaica today. We talked about different voltage rates but didn't know if the charger would work in Jamaica or not.

It would be nice if the Kobo site had that kind of info and also as an accessory they sold different voltage or universal adapters.

Also in general the whole idea of traveling with an ebook reader would be a great marketing point which I don't think is presented on the Kobo site...
Old 11-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox

That is a good idea, Ron, thanks. I will pass it along to the marketing team.

I can say the adapter takes 110-240V input, and even has a snap replaceable plug interface, though I haven't seen a non-NA plug yet. But it should be fairly easy to use in other countries, assuming you can get a physical plug adapter.

James
Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1959 View Post
Hi James - just a quick follow up on a different topic.
It would be nice if the Kobo site provided travel information for ereaders. (if it is there, sorry I couldn't find it).

Ebook readers are awesome for travelling. When I was in Chapters yesterday a couple bought 2 of the vox and were on their way to Jamaica today. We talked about different voltage rates but didn't know if the charger would work in Jamaica or not.

It would be nice if the Kobo site had that kind of info and also as an accessory they sold different voltage or universal adapters.

Also in general the whole idea of traveling with an ebook reader would be a great marketing point which I don't think is presented on the Kobo site...
Jamaica uses a slightly different voltage and frequency than we do in Canada. They use the same plug and socket type, but rarely include a grounding prong or polarization (when one prong is larger than the other) like we do in North America, meaning many Canadian appliances simply won't fit into the socket.

The good news? The Vox charger is not polarized, does not need a ground prong and is rated for 100-240V at 50-60Hz.

It is 100% compatible with the electrical systems of Jamaica and you can simple plug it in and go, no worries.

Edit: On a side note, Chapters carries a couple different travel adaptor kits if you're ever looking to go somewhere with a different voltage. They're not always in stock at every location but I know the store I work at has them in currently.

Last edited by jefftheworld; 11-03-2011 at 04:54 PM.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
ron1959
Connoisseur

Ok James & Jeff - very good info...