Notices

Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
DIY Bed Bookchair

Hello again,

I hope you like this simple bed bookchair I designed. This is the 1st complete prototype and probably the last one, because I have been using it for three days and I think it turned out better than I expected.

Prototypes II and III

The gadget is really stable and can be used placed on the lap to read sitting or on top of the stomach when laying.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=v2CIOtQjR4o

Forgot to mention it on the video, the top flap is to attach the book light.

I updated the construction plans with two new prototypes. Hope you like them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Peto's Rotating Bed Bookchair II.pdf (40.9 KB, 794 views)

Last edited by Peto; 04-19-2009 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Add picture and new prototype plans.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Really well done. Can you explain how you constructed the device, specifically the rotation aspect.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Peto
Legal Alien

Just a screw, a wing nut and a couple of washers.

The trick, if any, is that the actual rotating square is made of two layers of plywood. The one on top has a 15 mm hole and the 2nd has a 4 mm hole for the screw. The screw head+the washer have to protrude less than 3 mm (or the thickness of the top plank).

You don't need to tighten the wing nut at all since the hole is more or less in the mass center of the reader and velvet makes enough friction to keep the arrangement static. But you don't need the velvet. Naked plywood makes good friction too.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Just a screw, a wing nut and a couple of washers.

The trick, if any, is that the actual rotating square is made of two layers of plywood. The one on top has a 15 mm hole and the 2nd has a 4 mm hole for the screw. The screw head+the washer have to protrude less than 3 mm (or the thickness of the top plank).

You don't need to tighten the wing nut at all since the hole is more or less in the mass center of the reader and velvet makes enough friction to keep the arrangement static. But you don't need the velvet. Naked plywood makes good friction too.
So are you planning to sell them? Or are you going to offer more complete instructions and a list of materials used? I'm very interested in it.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Peto
Legal Alien

Hahaha! I am flattered.

My idea is to publish the plans and detailed instructions so anyone can build his/her own for free. I might, if there is an interest, consider selling the finished product, but I think that, although time consuming, the process is rather simple and everyone should try to adapt and build his own design having mine for reference.

The construction manual is almost finished. I only wanted to us the base a few days to find what I liked and disliked and then correct it, but happily it performs far better than I expected.

Is there a way to upload a PDF right away?
Advert
Old 01-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
neat idea, reminds me of a picture frame
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Is there a way to upload a PDF right away?
Click "Go Advanced" instead of "Quick Reply" (you can also use "Quote" button on a post). Then use "Manage Attachments" button to attach your PDF.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Brilliant bit of work there! Generous to share it, too. I look forward to going to the hardware store...
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
Peto
Legal Alien

Here you go.

Hope you like it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Peto's Rotating Bed Bookchair.pdf (31.9 KB, 1244 views)
File Type: pdf Base Giratoria de Peto.pdf (32.4 KB, 792 views)

Last edited by Peto; 07-10-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
Peto
Legal Alien

BTW, Igorsk, Kovid, thanks a lot.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
BTW, Igorsk, Kovid, thanks a lot.
And thank you for the plans. I'll be building two shortly.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:47 AM   #12
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Thanks!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
weareborg
weareborg began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia E90, Nokia 770, Nokia N95, Cybook Gen 3
You should post a copy here also. Good site. Good gadget!
http://www.instructables.com/
weareborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #14
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Wonderful, downloaded it today and I am going to try it next weekend.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #15
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Hello again,

I hope you like this simple bed bookchair I designed. This is the 1st complete prototype and probably the last one, because I have been using it for three days and I think it turned out better than I expected.

The gadget is really stable and can be used placed on the lap to read sitting or on top of the stomach when lying.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=v2CIOtQjR4o

Forgot to mention it on the video, the top flap is to attach the book light.
Wow, dude you are a genius! I think you could make a mint on this. You could easily sell them to all of us.
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote