Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
boylec
boylec began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Sony Reader division not going anywhere.

According to this blog's interview with Sony's Mike Abary, the Sony Reader division seems to still have a future. I know there has been some speculation that with the discontinuance of the 505 and 700 series reader that Sony may pull out of the e-reader business.

Here is the link.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/sony-promi...support-coming

And a quote:

Is there any similar collaboration going on with the Sony Reader team?
There was a reorganization that occurred at Sony where PlayStation, VAIO, Walkman, and Reader came under the same electronics group. As such, with those categories being put together under one umbrella we need to collaborate. I also see a better integration of Reader with VAIO products.

Commence with the speculation.
boylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:44 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hmmm. A "Reader Division" that doesn't make any Readers?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
if the next sony reader has the name Viao on it. that would be a great thing

comon who really likes say,

Hey is that a kindle?
No, it's a sony prs-700

it would become
Hey is that a kindle?
No, It's the new Viao ebook reader from sony.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:51 AM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
" I also see a better integration of Reader with VAIO products."

Translation: "We're going to pre-load the Reader Library software onto new Vaios."
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:14 AM   #5
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
it would become
Hey is that a kindle?
It didn't work with their MP3 player line and I doubt it will work here (which is a shame because they are wizards with hardware...too bad their software situation is abysmal)
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 05:30 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Hmmm... people would think it's a cheap copy of a Vaio :P
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I hope they don't put the Vaio brand onto their e-reader... Every Vaio I've come across look kind of neat but fall apart at the drop of a hat.

At any rate, it's only a handful of panicky MR posters who even remotely think Sony plans to close up its e-book shop. At this point, it's only restocking or new devices that will convince them. Maybe.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Kali,

I have owned 7 Vaio laptops over the years. All but one was a spectacular machine. Great build quality and longevity. When I was trying to decide between the Kindle and the Prs-505, the deciding factor for me was the way Sony stands behind their products.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
Kali,

I have owned 7 Vaio laptops over the years. All but one was a spectacular machine. Great build quality and longevity. When I was trying to decide between the Kindle and the Prs-505, the deciding factor for me was the way Sony stands behind their products.
Well let me put it this way, I worked at SONY and the people that worked at sony bought DELLs.

When I started there I chose to support my company by buying a SONY latptop and I got laughed at. 6mo later I understood why

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:21 AM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've owned 6 Vaio laptops and never had a problem. I'm thrilled with the quality of my Reader.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:

comon who really likes say,

Hey is that a kindle?
No, it's a sony prs-700

it would become
Hey is that a kindle?
I like the idea of a new name! Every time I try to explain what my PRS-700 is to someone, I usually end up saying "yeah, like the Kindle" (only better )! Sony PRS-700 is a mouthful to say. I don't know about Viao, because I'd immediately think "computer".

BTW-Do you think Queen Z is waiting for a name change before she updates her profile?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I like the idea of a new name! Every time I try to explain what my PRS-700 is to someone, I usually end up saying "yeah, like the Kindle" (only better )! Sony PRS-700 is a mouthful to say. I don't know about Viao, because I'd immediately think "computer".
i usually explain "it's like an ipod, but for books". most people over here have never heard of the kindle (although surprisingly i did get that reaction once, rather unexpectedly !) but they understand that right away.

Quote:
BTW-Do you think Queen Z is waiting for a name change before she updates her profile?
i don't know, what do you think ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #13
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i usually explain "it's like an ipod, but for books".
I use that one alot to explain my sony, although since the fuss about Amazon removing 1984 from kindles 3 people have asked me if mine is a kindle.

I usually refer to mine as a sony reader and treat the "prs-505" like a product number not a name!

I don't know if an association with Vaio would help at all, as I already spend a lot of time explaining that it's very different from reading on a computer screen.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
Kali,

Wow, how individual mileage vary. I will never ever again buy a sony product, because of screwing me over, that sony support department did on my PRS-500. When usb stopped working.
BTW still continues to disappoint with me having Vista 64 and not being able to use sony library.
Like never ever buy another sony.

That decision hurts btw, since I think 505 is the best design of e-reader up to date.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I have had several Sony VAIOs,one that I bought in 2000- the sales person tried to dissaude me from purchase,and it worked until it could no more.In companies that I have worked for,both my own and others-even while some brands,ie Dell etc,were the official "yes",I always had a Sony for myself.

Most recently,I had an issue with my Sony,and it was BACK to me before I really noticed it was gone.A day or so ago I spent almost two hours on the phone with tech support for my reader-we determined it was an issue with the device,my replacement should be here Monday I think.

I am extraordinarily hard on my computing devices- if ANYTHING fell apart on me in the first 6-12 months,and the company did not stand by the product,I would not purchase one again. Right now, I'm not even sure I'd be able to COUNT the number of sony products that we currently own at home......

I often call it an ipod for books-that seems to make people less confused,they understand the analogy quite easily-everything else always results in very lengthy conversations...and sometimes I'm just NOT in the mood for them LOL

I was at a BBQ last weekend,where the host has a Kindle,and alot of people asked me about my Sony reader,which of course I had in my tote...and people spent the afternoon comparing the devices-of course that was right when it made the news about 1984 etc...so interesting conversation.From that small group-most preferred the Sony and thought it was a great idea-but they'd never had a chance to really SEE devices....
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote