Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
brodershinto
brodershinto began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help! converting issues!

I've been scratching my head all day for this problem.
I've converted a pdf to epub. But for some reason the conversion makes the file forget it's structure. Why and what to do about it?

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...23kl231255.png
This is the original pdf third page and on the right is the converted epub version of page 3.

What am I doing wrong?

(I'm using iphone and ipad)
brodershinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to correct subforum.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodershinto View Post
I've been scratching my head all day for this problem.
I've converted a pdf to epub. But for some reason the conversion makes the file forget it's structure. Why and what to do about it?

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...23kl231255.png
This is the original pdf third page and on the right is the converted epub version of page 3.

What am I doing wrong?

(I'm using iphone and ipad)
Did you read the Sticky https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605 at the top ?

Images out of (originally intended) place, weird page numbers is normal.
PDF is a past-up format.
Place ALL the text (leaving space for illios.).
Now go back and place the image.
Where is Back? For what image?

Reasons to Avoid PDF? Many
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
First there is very little correlation between pages in a PDF and pages in the resultant ePub. The only correlation is the book content hopefully will end up in the same order. Read the sticky post called Read this before Posting PDF Questions that theducks linked to for more information.

Quote:
What am I doing wrong?
Nothing, except using PDF as a source format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Reasons to Avoid PDF? Many
You are a wealth of knowledge and I often learn things reading your posts. That said, I also find your advice often cryptic in nature, but this last statement pretty much says it all.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
Riccardospagna
Riccardospagna began at the beginning.

Device: Inves Wibook 600T
Issues after installing Calibre 0.8.11 version

Calibre has worked really fine until I updated this very afternoon. These are the main issues that have come up:

1 Calibre doesn't recognize .html files after conversion from .doc files. The .html file doesn't even seem to exist.
2 Several direct accesses disappear and I have to restart the pc to have them back

By the way: I've changed language from Spanish-Castilian to English, which used to help to solve the problems, but not this time.

Thanks,
R.
Riccardospagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardospagna View Post
1 Calibre doesn't recognize .html files after conversion from .doc files. The .html file doesn't even seem to exist.
Not quite sure what you mean here! Calibre does not support conversion of DOC files. Doc files have to be saved as something else (e.g. RTF, HTML) before they can be converted by Calibre.

When you add a HTML file to Calibe it will be saved in Calibre as a ZIP file containing the html file and any related files (images, css etc). referenced by the html..

Quote:
2 Several direct accesses disappear and I have to restart the pc to have them back[
Again I am not sure what you mean by this statement.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Riccardospagna
Riccardospagna began at the beginning.

Device: Inves Wibook 600T
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Not quite sure what you mean here! Calibre does not support conversion of DOC files. Doc files have to be saved as something else (e.g. RTF, HTML) before they can be converted by Calibre.

When you add a HTML file to Calibe it will be saved in Calibre as a ZIP file containing the html file and any related files (images, css etc). referenced by the html..

Again I am not sure what you mean by this statement.
I'm sorry, but my English knowledge doesn't go farther. I know all that You say; what I meant was that the .html file resulting is not recognized by Calibre.
Thank you.
Riccardospagna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convert pdf to epub, structure