Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #16
Benni-chan
Benni-chan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I'm going to wait for some more reviews. The K3 would be my first dedicated E-Reader with E-Ink.
For now, I'm fine with my HTC Hero.
Benni-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
If you go the the K# homepage, there is a wireless availability chart you can look at to see if 3g is available in your area.
What I meant was 3G available to surf the internet, not just to shop Kindle Store or Wiki.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #18
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
I'm another K1 owner completely satisfied. I have had it for more than two years, read a lot daily, and everything works just fine.

Of course I'm tempted, but can't see enough improvement in either the K2 or K3 to change now.

Should my poor old K1 ever die, I'll look at what is available. Meanwhile, I will wait for the K10. That will probably have a color screen in 3D and also make coffee in the morning.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #19
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I'm severely tempted but so far holding out. I may ask for one for Christmas, though!
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #20
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
So, I bought myself a sweet Oberon case and a darker skin, to help keep myself away from the K3. Now, I will feel too guilty to buy a K3, since I just dropped $100 more into my K2.
Am I the only one to whom this makes no sense? For close to the purchase price of the K3 you have done little or nothing to reduce your want of the new device. You could have just bought one and gifted the K2 or sold it, or put it to some other good use.

I just bought a K2 when they were on warehousedeals for $110 but ordered the K3 as soon as I could get to a computer. In my case it is easy since I'll just be passing the K2 to the wife and keeping the K3 for myself.
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #21
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthwyne View Post
Am I the only one to whom this makes no sense? For close to the purchase price of the K3 you have done little or nothing to reduce your want of the new device. You could have just bought one and gifted the K2 or sold it, or put it to some other good use.

I just bought a K2 when they were on warehousedeals for $110 but ordered the K3 as soon as I could get to a computer. In my case it is easy since I'll just be passing the K2 to the wife and keeping the K3 for myself.
Well, in a way, it makes sense. Consider it this way:
  • I have no complaints about my K2 that would justify the purchase of a K3. Maybe better contrast would be nice. But this can be helped by adding a dark skin, which I've done for $20.
  • I currently use the basic Belkin neoprene case to transport my K2, but the K2 is unprotected as I read. This book-style case will likely protect my K2 in case of a drop while reading, therefore effectively making my K2 more durable.
  • The case will help recapture some of the tactile inputs I miss a little from paper books.
  • My pimped-up K2 will be more attractive than a bare bones K3

Whether this will reduce the want of the K3 remains to be seen. I think it will work.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #22
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I am holding out...for like a day! I am a Nook owner who just pre-ordered one. I am excited to see how it stacks up against the Nook. I will do the hell of a comparison to both devices and see which one I like best. Battery life, collection, screen contrast and the weight are what I am most excited about. Then of course one has to go. Husband doesn't read so no one to pass it on to.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:08 AM   #23
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
so far nothing about the K3 is compelling enough to me to sell my K2i & case and replace with a K3. Sure the screen is likely better, but there are always trade offs plus there is the unclear status of the access to number keys...are they still an ALT-{top row letter} combination which are NOT labeled or accessed via the SYM key...either is a PITA. Even the manual when i read it a couple weeks back mentioned number key access other than via the SYM key and moving around in the selection box. Nothing in the version of the manual I downloaded a week or so after pre-ordering was announced mentioned the ALT-KEY combo as an alternative way to type numbers.

I do like the d-pad but do not think I will like the return to outward activating side buttons...and in they activate when pushed outward like the original K1 and unlike the inward activation of the K2 devices. But it's a coin toss until enough rational people get them in their hands and use them everyday, not just those who are willing to accept this constant waffling on design conventions. I find this very irritating. Think of every time you buy a new PC they changed the mouse buttons and way the keyboard worked just enough that there is a training period/learning curve or simply a "tough crap get used to it" sense to the change.

Those are but a few of the reasons it was easy for me to decide to pass on the K3 until next year at the soonest as my K2i is under warranty until a year from this December thanks to my credit card extending the warranty for a year automagically.

Buying now also shuts one out of any devices released this fall along with the usual Kindle price drop, though I sense, for a while, we are at a low point price wise, for the K3 anyway. I am even wondering if we might see a drop on the DXG to the $259 price point this fall. Especially given the release of the Pocketbook 900-series readers. As an aside I don't like the button layout on the currently released images of the PB900 series anymore than the DXG or even the K3.

But in general, for me, I am not having a hard time holding off on the K3 over the K2i I have currently. I even have one of those nice silicone-rubber "sleeve/skin" thingies on it to help with gripping and take care of the bright white reflections when reading outside on the deck in the sun. If ya live in a more northern latitude this might not be an issue for you but as ya move south and the sun gets higher overhead, the intensity of the sun on that white bezel becomes a lot worse than the LCD backlights many whine about.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote