Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
eiku
eiku began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Greetings and some first impressions

Hello everybody!
I have just registeredy to the forums, as I hope to find answers to some questions I have about my newly bought Cybook and, why not, give my point of view sometimes, or help people with their own Cybooks (but I must first learn to use mine).

I am pretty happy with the Cybook Gen3, but there are a few things that sadden me:
  • only PDFs can be displayed in landscape mode (this is important only if I want to lend my ebook to my grandmother, whose eyes can no longer read normal font sizes)
  • big html files (I tried the King James Genesis Book I) won’t display at all and forced me to reset the device.
  • short html files are displayed correctly only if their structure is good (so if you find an interesting article on your favourite website, it is likely not to display at all if you don’t correct it)
  • encoding declared in a short, well-structured html file is not taken into account (I tried with several files in French, with valid, declared utf-8 : the reader still believes it is iso-8859-1).

I had another problem (which I won’t count as a real drawback): I was reading Melville’s Moby Dick on my Palm, so I transferred the prc onto the Cybook and opened the book. Now, how to find where I was? I knew I was at chapter 54, but how can you find chapter 54 if there is no index and no search function? I had to take my calculator and try to convert the "read percentage" given by my Palm into a page number for the Cybook. It wasn’t very accurate, so I had to do it again three or four times before I found the chapter 53 (and then all I had to do was going further up to chapter 54). It took me some time ;-)

But the main thing is there: you can read for hours and hours, without the battery running out (Palm) or the book loosing pages the first time you read it (some paper pocket editions).
eiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi eiku and welcome to MobileRead.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, eiku!

I know nothing about the Cybook but it you don't get the answers you are looking for here, you might want to repost your question in the Cybook forum. Good luck.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybook gen3