Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Very surprised by the number of people, of all ages, who reported they NEVER read.
It doesn't surprise me at all, regrettably. Most of my friends never read a book, and I mean NEVER.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #17
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Even more interesting might have been the answer if the followup question was to name a book they have read in the past 24 hours, and tell me about something you read in the book.

Or maybe even better: If we interview your two or three closest friends, are they going to back you up on your reading a book on a daily basis? A No answer here wouldn't mean much, but a slow response to the question could reasonably be coded as prevarication.
Ah hell...back in my early kindle days I used to do something wrong (still don't know what) and my current read would disappear from the home screen. More than once I just could not remember title or, worse, author, but fortunately usually came up with a sufficiently unusual name inside the book to use the global search. Anyway, I generally average a book a day and gave up on pesky details a long time ago.
Or more likely, with that age thing, they gave up on me.

Last edited by mitford13; 09-13-2014 at 10:52 AM.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I feel a bit sorry for those who don't know the pleasure of reading a good book. They don't know what they're missing out on.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A good point. I still remember reading how Louis 14th had a large library. He had a whole 24 books in it. Of course books were hand copied back then and too expensive for many people. And even with Gutenberg's press I imagine literacy spread slowly at first.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh.... the good old days of the chained library. Heck, you seldom even see a good book curse these days. They just don't write colophons the way they used to.

If interested, see Book Curses for more information.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 09-13-2014 at 02:31 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:35 AM   #20
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It doesn't surprise me at all, regrettably. Most of my friends never read a book, and I mean NEVER.
That makes me sad. +1 to:

Quote:
Originally posted by crich70
I feel a bit sorry for those who don't know the pleasure of reading a good book. They don't know what they're missing out on.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #21
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'm with you. It's my cheap vacation. I'm reading Discovery of Witches (not a normal read for me but it is good and was highly recommended by friend/neighbors). I feel like I know Oxford's library really well now And no scrunched plane ride or expensive hotels.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #22
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
That's exactly the problem:
You only can miss, what you've experienced (enjoyed) at least once.
I came to enjoy work life and can't imagine going back to a student's life. But back then, I couldn't imagine having to work.
Same with some of the kids in my wider surroundings: They are fine with their tablets, video games or sports and can't imagine, reading could be anything than dull or boring.
I partially blame schools and wannabe intellectuals: Reading isn't enough, you can't just read belletristic. Even "Robinson Crusoe" isn't enough. At least it should be "Moby Dick". I'd be glad, if my 11 year old niece at least would start reading Stephen King. Anything at all...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
That's exactly the problem:
You only can miss, what you've experienced (enjoyed) at least once.
I came to enjoy work life and can't imagine going back to a student's life. But back then, I couldn't imagine having to work.
Same with some of the kids in my wider surroundings: They are fine with their tablets, video games or sports and can't imagine, reading could be anything than dull or boring.
I partially blame schools and wannabe intellectuals: Reading isn't enough, you can't just read belletristic. Even "Robinson Crusoe" isn't enough. At least it should be "Moby Dick". I'd be glad, if my 11 year old niece at least would start reading Stephen King. Anything at all...
Part of it might indeed be schools. Steve Allen wrote an article once about having to read Moby Dick for school. He hated it because it was assigned reading and he wasn't ready for it yet. Yrs later he went back to it and loved it. Schools assign reading as a group effort and not everyone likes the same genre so they get to dislike reading.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #24
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
There are many unique pleasures in this world and I'm sure all of us miss out on at least a few of them (and others wish we could know them).
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #25
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Steve Allen wrote an article once about having to read Moby Dick for school. He hated it because it was assigned reading and he wasn't ready for it yet. Yrs later he went back to it and loved it. Schools assign reading as a group effort and not everyone likes the same genre so they get to dislike reading.
I just searched to see if kids taught in the open classrooms of the 1960's and 1970's, in which children could mostly read what they wanted, read more for pleasure as adults, but I can't find anyone doing such a long-term test of your hypothesis. It seems a plausible, if difficult, research project.

I recall not just assigned reading, but also being forced to sit through boring classroom films. Could that be why I'm not all that much interested in the movies, or TV, today?

Of course, I think the answer to that last question is no.

I wonder if limiting screen time works.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I just searched to see if kids taught in the open classrooms of the 1960's and 1970's, in which children could mostly read what they wanted, read more for pleasure as adults, but I can't find anyone doing such a long-term test of your hypothesis. It seems a plausible, if difficult, research project.

I recall not just assigned reading, but also being forced to sit through boring classroom films. Could that be why I'm not all that much interested in the movies, or TV, today?

Of course, I think the answer to that last question is no.

I wonder if limiting screen time works.
There are some differences between films and books though. You don't need to engage your mind as much with a 2 hr movie as you do with words on a page. People tend to zone out and only remember some key scenes with any clarity. Anyway Mr. Allen went to school back in the 30's and 40's I'd guess since he was a young man on TV in the 50's so it's likely things were changed a bit over the decades, though I also remember having to read assigned books like "Lord of the Flies" when I was in high school. I don't watch much live TV either (mostly DVD's) because the quality of programming has dropped a lot since I was a kid. Books on the other hand are still going strong.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #27
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
I'm with you. It's my cheap vacation. I'm reading Discovery of Witches (not a normal read for me but it is good and was highly recommended by friend/neighbors). I feel like I know Oxford's library really well now And no scrunched plane ride or expensive hotels.
It does make you feel like you know the library and the area, doesn't it? I love that series.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote