Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Simon & Scuster signs Deal with Scribd and Oyster

Simon & Schuster deal boosts 'Netflix of digital books' wannabes Scribd and Oyster
http://www.cnet.com/news/simon-schus...tion-services/

Looks like we are a lot closer to viable e-book subscription services. This could be a real boon to people without access to digital library services.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
Looks like we are a lot closer to viable e-book subscription services. This could be a real boon to people without access to digital library services.
I honestly wonder how popular such services would be. The overwhelming majority of people don't read very much at all - reading a book a month makes someone a "heavy reader" in the real world out there. Those of us who read 2 or 3 books a week are a tiny, tiny minority. How many people would be willing to pay for a subscription service?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly wonder how popular such services would be. The overwhelming majority of people don't read very much at all - reading a book a month makes someone a "heavy reader" in the real world out there. Those of us who read 2 or 3 books a week are a tiny, tiny minority. How many people would be willing to pay for a subscription service?
Such a service might be attractive for a family, though.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
As much as I read I would still prefer to own my books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I have signed up for that 3 month Scribd trial and after searching books, I am pretty sure I will stay with the program. If S&S comes on board also, that would be even more fantastic. The more big publisher stuff the better.

I do wish I could read the books on an e-ink device, but I am currently on a search for a 7 inch tablet as my 8.9 Fire HD is just a bit heavy over long reading stretches.

As far as libraries, at least the ones I have access too, the costs of those publishers and their restrictions (Harper Collins for example), have made them go a bit slower with adding to the library. And often they get one book and the wait lists then are very long and by the time one gets to the end, the license might have run out.

Just comparing HC titles, I found many on Scribd that my library does not have in the catalog.

I read a lot and most times I read a book once. If its something I read more than once, I'll buy it.

Now come to think of it, does S&S even have books in the overdrive library?

eta: I just checked and the books are already there. I am in romance reading heaven.

I see over 15,000 titles added by S&S, but I am not sure if all of those are in the subscription service.

Last edited by Atunah; 05-21-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
As much as I read I would still prefer to own my books.
Apache
Me too. I guess the question is how typical we are? I use libraries for reference, but not to borrow books from.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
If I didn't have a massive TBR of owned books already and if those services could be used on eInk devices, I'd be very interested - when reading 10+ books a month, most of those "disposable" (in other words to be read and hopefully enjoyed well enough once), I feel no particular compunction to "own" every single one of them.

As it is, I have too many books already bought and I can't read fiction comfortably on either my phone or the iPad, so it's sadly useless for me at this point. But I do like the idea in principle.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The primary downside for me is the limited e-reader support. Oyster only supports Apple iOS 7 devices. Scribd has an app for the Kindle Fire and Android, but I really prefer my PaperWhite. Neither has plans to provide e-ink reader support.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
No e-ink support is a dealbreaker for me, but looking around at the site I don't think this would be right for me if it were. I could get into it for new-to-me authors, but as a big re-reader I'd then end up buying all the books I love, or even just like. And as a kobo shopper books aren't costing me that much anyway, so this is just extra spending.

But I feel the same way about Spotify and that's taken off, so maybe this will too.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I found it is right for me, as I am a high-volume reader and they have books there I can't borrow in such volume anywhere else. Also I was paying more than $9 a month to buy those books. I think it will find a place for niche and high volume readers (like the romance readers who bought books on subscription). Their romance catalog is good.

I don't love reading on the tablet as MUCH as I like reading on the paperwhite, but reading is reading at the bottom line for me.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Well, the Scribd android app requires android 2.3 so the Onyx eink tablets might be a fit for those looking for an eink entry into subscription ebooks.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
little and large
Enthusiast
little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle fire
It looks like a positive move to me. There are many big readers out there, they just aren't grouped tightly; if there weren't there wouldn't be so many sales at places such at Amazon. The subscription service offered has become just that little bit more attractive and I'm sure it will build further. I guess the question is how Amazon might move their pieces to form there next strategic move (or maybe, this time, there'll just be more sharing).
little and large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #13
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Such a service might be attractive for a family, though.
This is what makes me wonder about it for my kids. I have a YA reader who reads constantly, and she said a lot of the books look good to her. And then there are the types of books my husband likes to read too. And even the younger one just learning to read - I saw lots of Beverly Cleary books we could read to her and she could, before too long, read to herself.

It might be a very good deal for a family.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
little and large
Enthusiast
little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
This is what makes me wonder about it for my kids. I have a YA reader who reads constantly, and she said a lot of the books look good to her. And then there are the types of books my husband likes to read too. And even the younger one just learning to read - I saw lots of Beverly Cleary books we could read to her and she could, before too long, read to herself.

It might be a very good deal for a family.
It's lovely that you have a voracious reader - good parenting and good genes I'd say (and I'll bet the younger one carries on the tradition, too).

little and large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
This is what makes me wonder about it for my kids. I have a YA reader who reads constantly, and she said a lot of the books look good to her.
Does she like audiobooks?

Quote:
SYNC is a program that gives away two complete audiobook downloads–a current Young Adult title paired thematically with a Classic or Required Summer Reading title–each week to listeners ages 13+ while SYNC is in session each summer.

Titles are delivered through the OverDrive Media Console. You can prepare for the program by downloading the software to your desktop and whichever device you anticipate listening on.

SYNC is dedicated to introducing the listening experience to the young adult audience and demonstrates that Required Reading can be completed by listening.

SYNC gives away 2 FREE audiobook downloads every week each summer. In 2014, 26 titles will be given away over 13 weeks starting May 15th.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote