Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 07-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Melville, Herman: Moby Dick; Or The Whale. v1. 08 July 07

NEW VERSION THAT REMOVES HANGING LINES FROM TOC!!!!! ---- I want to thank Anais9000 for pointing out how to do this. Thank you. (I don't understand HTML code, but I somehow managed to do this!)

I also corrected the title of the book on the Title Page to read this way: Moby Dick; or, The Whale

Please download this version if you have already downloaded v1.0. --- If you have that, you have an old version.

Earlier version has been deleted.

I've never had so much difficulty putting a book together as this one. I've been so frustrated with this. I tried everything I could think of to do away with the problems, but I was able to work around them. I beleive all the problems are now gone: I checked on all links and they work; they also bring one back to the correct TOC page. As another example of frustration, some Chapters designated as TITLE did not create a page break, but always looked fine before compiling. After compiling, some TITLES looked like left-centered PARAGRAPHS. Again, I "fixed" all that didn't look right by working around the problems and solving them.

So many times I was ready to give up on this and just buy the damn thing from Connect (if it's available; I haven't even checked).

One last little story: I was almost finished and I accidentally clicked on the MOST DREADED IMPLEMENTATION IN BOOKDESIGNER: THE INFAMOUS OPEN EMPTY FILE RIGHT NEXT TO SAVE CURRENT FILE.

I LOST EVERYTHING! (Fortunately, I had saved about 1 hour previous to that mishap, so I lost an hour's work and started all over again.)

I want to thank Roy White for his efforts in first bringing Moby Dick to us here. (His version is also available and you may wish to download his version.)

This is one of my personal favorites and I just had to create Moby Dick with fully functional and working links - links that work both front and back, if you understand what I mean.

I hope you like it. If you don't............

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Melville, Herman - Moby Dick; or, The Whale. v1.5.lrf (791.5 KB, 1454 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-09-2007 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Removed hanging lines on TOC
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Whoa! Dr. Dr. Dr.!!! You are the MAN!

There are 135 chapters in Moby Dick. You linked em all!

I noticed in your version that when you click on one of the chapter links it takes you to the right chapter but when you turn the page the chapter title on the next page says, (At the bottom of the reader) "Chapter 124 instead of the real name of that chapter which is "The Needle"... I like to see the real name of the chapter on the bottom of each page I'm on while I'm reading... I gather that you link to the chapter number ie. 124, then put the real chapter name 'The Needle' As a subtitle? Sometimes I like put on my formats a link to the chapter title 124 and add the chapter name as well to the chapter title so it says on the bottom of the screen.. "Chapter 124: The Needle" at the bottom of the page.

You've inspired me to go back and re-open my last file of Moby and type out all those 135 chapter titles and link em!!!

Well.. Maybe not...

Way to go!

Heres some Karma!!!

Last edited by Roy White; 07-09-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I understand what you'r saying...

...that if I had linked to the Chapter Name, then the Name of the chapter would have been at the very bottom of each page. I agree with you that that is so much more useful than a chapter number.

If what you're saying is correct, then I too, would prefer to see the name of the chapter at the bottom of each screen rather than (say) "Chapter 8."

The only case where it wouldn't make a difference is if each chapter didn't have a chapter name.

Anyway, let me check on this. (I made the Chapter Name not a SUBTITLE, but rather with a PARAGRAPH attribute.

I appreciate you're letting me know about this. I know that certain aspects of this information can be controlled and selected. Let me MAKE A BACK-UP COPY and then I'll play with it some more.

Thanks!!

Don
Old 07-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Hanging lines on TOC removed!!!

...thanks to Anais9000 for guidance.

Corrected the title.

Please go to upload for full explanation.

Don
Old 07-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So how did you sort out the ToC exactly? I'd to know in case I ever want to make a fully functional ToC that doesn't have hanging underlines.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
<sniff>

I like hanging underlines.

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

My knowledge of HTML extends ONLY to this explanation...

about the TOC.

Ths is what I did:

1.) Select the TOC that you've already created.
2.) Then open HTML Fragment Editor.
3.) What you selected will be in that Editor's window.

Look at this - this is what the code looks like AFTER I got rid of the overhanging lines:

---------------------------------

</DIV>
<DIV align=left>&nbsp;
<A href="#uBmk_586292">PROLOGUE

----------------------------------

See that word "left"? Before I changed that word to "left," it read "justify." Remove that word "justify" and replace with the word "left"

The next thing is this: on that exact same line that you just replaced "justify" with "left," you find this: &nbsp;

That -- &nbsp; -- was NOT THERE. Here's how you ADD that: hold down the ctrl key and press the space bar. That will add this: &nbsp;

Then, Click on the button that has "APPLY"

-----------------------------------------------

That's all I did, except I did it for the entire 135 chapters. This was my first time I did this; it's also - so far - the only time I've EVER done anything with HTML.

Remember: Anis9000 showed me how to do this. I AM COMPLETELY IGNORANT ABOUT HTML.

Before you do ANYTHING, make a BACKUP OF YOUR FILE AND PUT IT SOMEWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this helps.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-09-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
And now... feel good about yourself!
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
Anais9000
Connoisseur
Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
Yikes. 135 times?

Next time, try this. Once you've loaded the TOC into the HTML editor, uncheck the box labelled "show tree". Then click the button marked find and put this in the find box:
<DIV align=justify><A
and this into the replace box:
<DIV align=left>&nbsp;<A

Then click the Replace All button. Click the Apply button. Done.
Anais9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Great! Now how do I do this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anais9000 View Post
Yikes. 135 times?

Next time, try this. Once you've loaded the TOC into the HTML editor, uncheck the box labelled "show tree". Then click the button marked find and put this in the find box:
<DIV align=justify><A
and this into the replace box:
<DIV align=left>&nbsp;<A

Then click the Replace All button. Click the Apply button. Done.

Actually, it was 137 times! (The Prologue and the Epilogue.)

Two questions:

1.) How do I underline every word in the TOC, rather than just the first word?
2.) How do I (or can I) use something other than an underline? (In other words, no line is visible at all.)

Thanks for your help.

Don
Old 07-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
Anais9000
Connoisseur
Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
1.) How do I underline every word in the TOC, rather than just the first word?
2.) How do I (or can I) use something other than an underline? (In other words, no line is visible at all.)
1. You can do this by replacing the spaces in the chapter titles with &nbsp;
But be aware that if you do this, long titles will wrap in the middle of a word, especially in the larger font sizes. Better to replace only the space between "Chapter" and N, for example Chapter&nbsp;One: It Begins!

2. I wish I knew.
Anais9000 is offline   Reply With Quote