Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
bobulbous
bobulbous began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Neo
Not Happy with Bebook Neo. Try Kindle DX?

Hi

After a bit of research and trying one out in my local book shop in London I bought a bebook neo a few months ago.

As time has gone on I'm getting more and more frustrated with the device as time goes on. The touchscreen (for notes, a main reason I got it) is pretty cheap and unreliable (even after multiple calibrations), the internet feature is pretty much unuseable for how quick it wipes out the battery. Also I think the pdf handling can be pretty shoddy, and 99% of my files are pdf.

Does anyone recomend me trying out a kindle? I like the idea of the large screen, which hopefully overcomes the loss of zoom function in the bebook (anyone confirm?). Obviously the probelm is I cannot try a kindle out before I buy.

Anyone had access to both machines and care to give me any advice comparisons?
bobulbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you might want to post this in the Kindle forums.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
bobulbous
bobulbous began at the beginning.

yeah sorry, I just posted this in a different section and cant find an option to delete this entry.
bobulbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
briwayjones
Beo Neo!
briwayjones doesn't litterbriwayjones doesn't litter

Kindles don't handle PDFs without converting them online on the Amazon site or something like that. Kindles are very closed limited devices like Apple devices are. They basically handle kindle format and converted PDFs. Have you tried Calibre? It converts PDFs to multiple other formats. I have a Neo also with mixed feelings. They will be releasing new firmware updates that will hopefully fix the battery drain issues and hopefully others. So I would say maybe wait a little bit. Now with that said if I had everything to do over again I think I would have gotten a Nook instead. So if you are definitely going to get a new e-reader my suggestion is go with a Nook. They read most formats, and you can take notes on them by pecking at a keyboard on the screen.
briwayjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by briwayjones View Post
Kindles don't handle PDFs without converting them online on the Amazon site or something like that. Kindles are very closed limited devices like Apple devices are. They basically handle kindle format and converted PDFs. Have you tried Calibre? It converts PDFs to multiple other formats. I have a Neo also with mixed feelings. They will be releasing new firmware updates that will hopefully fix the battery drain issues and hopefully others. So I would say maybe wait a little bit. Now with that said if I had everything to do over again I think I would have gotten a Nook instead. So if you are definitely going to get a new e-reader my suggestion is go with a Nook. They read most formats, and you can take notes on them by pecking at a keyboard on the screen.
silly rabbit! anything that can be run through calibre can be put on a Kindle!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
bluejay
bluejay began at the beginning.

Device: Looking hard...
Quote:
@briwayjones
I'm considering the Bebook Neo. I've been looking hard for an e-book reader for some time. The Sony readers are out for me because of the glare, the Nook and Alex doesn't handle Mobi, the Que reader doesn't have an expansion slot, the eDGe is fancy but for the price I'm hesitant because it converts text PDF to images when annotations are exported. It's a long search!

I would love to hear more on what you mean about having mixed feelings with the Neo. What's really important for me is annotations. PDFs can't be annotated natively, so I'm thinking of converting to Mobi with the MobiPocket reader desktop (which I really like) which gives me a way to sync annotations between the desktop and e-book reader.

Could you share on how the Neo handles annotation? I emailed Endless Ideas about it but no word so far. On the device itself, are annotations easy to review - is there a pane/ menu that provides a aggregated view? Can the annotations be transferred to the desktop in any way?

Thanks!
bluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Kindles don't handle PDFs without converting them online on the Amazon site or something like that.
The DX does handle PDFs natively, and with the new 2.5 update, it also can pan and zoom.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #8
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
The DX does handle PDFs natively, and with the new 2.5 update, it also can pan and zoom.
Talldog, thanks for correcting that misinformation.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote