Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
In case no one has suggested it, how about the Bible.....that's pretty much alternate history as far as I'm concerned.
Some of it's surprisingly accurate, but like all ancient histories, they weren't operating by the same rules of evidence as modern historians, and most of it's authors were biased.

A lot of good historical research has been done in recent years by biblical scholars, especially as concerns the events and times of the New Testament writings. Perhaps a separate thread would be a good idea. I'm sure this isn't the thread for it.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-19-2010 at 07:17 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #47
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
NOT AH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
In case no one has suggested it, how about the Bible.....that's pretty much alternate history as far as I'm concerned.
At no place in the Bible does the text make a deviation from established history in order to play 'what if games' . I don't think you understand what Alternate history is.

But then again, you are just looking for a place to air your prejudices. Nothing wrong with that as long as you present a coherent argument. Do that, and people will pay attention to you. But you haven't done that yet so I suspect a lot of people who MIGHT agree with you will just ignore you.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #48
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
First politics and now religion?
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #49
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
First politics and now religion?
He's right, Kenny. Perhaps we should bow out of this thread before the moderators step in.

Sorry to all here for having started such a ruckus with my little joke.

I am officially unsubscribing from this thread.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #50
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
He's right, Kenny. Perhaps we should bow out of this thread before the moderators step in.

I was only having fun. Without politics or religion there would be very little literature.

Let's just be civil. For some people an attack on the bible is an attack on their essence for being. Which is very different from making reference to it in a discussion.

Anyway, I still get a bit confused about AH. If we have an alteration of past events is it not possible that this would affect the present and the future? Then by it's very nature AH makes allusion to: What could be?"
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #51
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
At no place in the Bible does the text make a deviation from established history in order to play 'what if games' . I don't think you understand what Alternate history is.

But then again, you are just looking for a place to air your prejudices. Nothing wrong with that as long as you present a coherent argument. Do that, and people will pay attention to you. But you haven't done that yet so I suspect a lot of people who MIGHT agree with you will just ignore you.

I know some would call it sacrilege, but I do believe that much of the bible was not true to history (and there is evidence to back it up) and is thus an "alternate history." I certainly understand the words Alternate History, perhaps some are unduly restricting the term here or defining it in their own way.

If you have historical evidence of the garden of Eden, the Flood or Noah's ark, for example, or even the life of Jesus, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Alternate history is a vast and broad topic and I really feel a bit perturbed at the attitudes of some people in this thread.

Is this not a place to discuss a wide range of alternate history or are you simply trying to form a clique.

Last edited by kennyc; 05-19-2010 at 08:56 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #52
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Sorry.....I was serious in my posting.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #53
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I don't care about the religion, it's the drive-by nature of the statement without any supporting arguments that I object to.

Marginal thinkers adopt some philosophy they barely understand that happens to feed their prejudices and they feel comfortable tossing word grenades about without any understanding of the logic and reasoning behind that philosophy.

A forum about books is, by its very nature, about ideas and reasoning. KennyC has shown us his anger, he has shown us his contempt, but he hasn't shown us his thoughts and his reasoning.

I'm not calling him out on his religious beliefs or lack of them, I am challenging him to start a thread to explain what he believes and why he believes it.

Quote:

GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:27 AM   #54
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I looked up 'Alternate History' on Wiki wondered what it meant... Now I feel stupid... The title says it all...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 AM   #55
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I don't care about the religion, it's the drive-by nature of the statement without any supporting arguments that I object to.

Marginal thinkers adopt some philosophy they barely understand that happens to feed their prejudices and they feel comfortable tossing word grenades about without any understanding of the logic and reasoning behind that philosophy.

A forum about books is, by its very nature, about ideas and reasoning. KennyC has shown us his anger, he has shown us his contempt, but he hasn't shown us his thoughts and his reasoning.

I'm not calling him out on his religious beliefs or lack of them, I am challenging him to start a thread to explain what he believes and why he believes it.
Well, I have no problem with you "calling me out" It's clear what I think and I stated it with supporting information. No need to "challenge me"

If you have historical documents to mirror the Bible then fine, if not then it is just one more alternate history (with some things that do match as Tom pointed out).

And I don't know where you get the idea that I've shown ANGER and CONTEMPT by making a suggestion as to a book to read. If you really want to discuss the topic - ALTERNATE HISTORY let's not try to restrict to some even further limited (no politics, no religion, etc.) "What If" which is clearly all you want to discuss - well other than taking pot-shots at me.

The topic is "Alternate History" and that includes all of human and perhaps non-human history.

Last edited by kennyc; 05-20-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #56
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
In the Name That Book thread there is mention of the book And Having Writ by Donald R. Bensen which looks like it would fit the original posters request.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=231
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #57
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I just remembered Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle.
It was originally published in four volumes in the U.S.:
The Secret History, Carthage Ascendant, The Wild Machines, and Lost Burgundy.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #58
BenG
Home Guard

Pavane (1968) by Keith Roberts- a world where Elizabeth I was assassinated and England failed to defeat the Spanish Armada and remained Catholic.

Last edited by BenG; 05-23-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #59
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
So nice to see this thread pretty much come to a stand still. It was going along nicely and someone had to come in and crap on it. All because they wanted to flash their virtual wiener. This was the whole point of my thread regarding "no need for politics" at least the random kind brought up for no other reason than selfishness and grand standing. Because unless its brought up in the discussion naturally and is ON TOPIC all it does is drive people away. I am not saying thats what KennyC was doing. I am just pointing out that random (off topic) attempts of politics or religion kill threads. And thats exactly what has happened here.

And based on this thread I was exactly right. All but BenG of course who tried to persist (good on you BenG).

So lets leave out politics and religion unless its naturally part of the discussion that derives from a book thats currently being discussed.

If anyone has issues with my post. Why not just message me. No need to further taint the thread with nonsense.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #60
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Republic by Charles Sheehan-Miles sounds pretty interesting. I haven't read it myself, its on my TRL. But hear good things about it. There is also a sequel out called Insurgent.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote