Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
thewriterkid
thewriterkid began at the beginning.

Device: none, yet.
What lets me annotate all documents?

Hi,
I'm searching for my first ereader and I heard that with the Nook, you can only highlight and annotate books from B&N. This is a major issue for me because, being a student and all, I need to be able to annotate other files, like my PDFs.
What ereader would let me annotate and highlight my personal documents (PDFs.) and files like epub that I find on other sites?
I'm specifically looking at
1. the kindle
2. the Nook
and my favorite of the three
3. The Sony PRS600 or, more preferably, the Daily Edition when it's released.
Any other recommendations are appreciated, as long as they're not tablet pcs. I already have one, I'm looking for an ereader. Thanks again! This site is so helpful!

Last edited by thewriterkid; 12-14-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: wrong word
thewriterkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Some general advice about those readers:

Depending on how the PDF's are formatted, any 6" device might be too small for comfortable use. (you cant expect to be able to read any A4/letter formatted pdf on around a third of the space (not enough pixels))

If you want to buy the PRS-600 go see one in real life, I've owned one for a week and I had to send it back because i cant stand glossy screens. Compared to the ILiad I have now (for 2 months) the PRS-600 doesn't do e-ink justice (darker screen) because it has the touchscreen in front of the e-ink. (Probably the same for the daily ed.)
The PRS-600 also has issues with resizing/zooming on pdf's. It wont remember the zoom, something the 3 years older ILiad does quite well.
Because I didn't like the screen of the PRS-600 I didn't look into pdf support, but epub highlights just fine.
As far as i know the Kindle doesn't favor pdf's either, nor does it support epub.
The Nook has just been released and it's still buggy, depending on future improvements it might be interesting. I'd wait until they fixed em before I'd spend my money.

You might also want to take a look at the Astak readers.

On the ILiad I read custom formatted pdf's. Note-taking and marking text works well out of the box. But I wouldn't recommend it to non-techies.

In general: if you don't need one this instant, wait a few months, several new readers are planned for the near future(including new screen technology). You might want to get a small/cheap one to cross the gap.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert