Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
skoobwoman
Enthusiast
skoobwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Kindle DX/Astak Reader Pocket Pro/iPod Touch
My Kindle updated to 2.3

I was so excited that I manually updated the Kindle last night (Kindle 2 US). It was a bit wiggy at first--when I tried to load PDF files, the connection screen would show for a minute and then it would flip back to the home page. The computer would still show it connected as a device, but it wouldn't show the folders or any other content. I think I rushed it. Because when I left it overnight, I was able to put PDF's on in the morning with no problem.

It's a nice feature to have although it doesn't have reflow abilities. When you click to increase the font, you are just offered the option to flip the text to landscape which makes the text larger. I was happy to see that I was able to read even a scanned file with it. It's a bit annoying that the page gets cut off and you have to catch the correct line when you flip the page (since the last line is often repeated on the next page). I will probably stick to my Astak for PDFs since it features reflow but it is nice to finally have the option. Lauren
skoobwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
kevy
kevy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I was like you, when I received the email from Amazon that the update was available - and would be sent to my Kindle sometime in the next couple of weeks - I couldn't wait and immediately downloaded and installed the update. My update went very well, and I was reading PDF's right away! The reflow issue is something I hope will be dealt with in the next update, as it is a little annoying, and I don't have another device to read PDF's on.

It's great to be able to transfer PDF's directly using the USB cable, as I have hundreds of PDF's for work, and it's difficult reading them on the computer. I also love the rotate screen facility. I haven't used it long enough yet to see if the claimed battery life will be improved but I'm sure I'll find out. Kevin
kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
pdf;kindle;2.3