Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #526
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Wow that Paperwhite looks gigantic compared to the Kobo. I'd be willing to bet dollars that the next year's Kindle will look suspiciously similar to this year's Kobo.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #527
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Wow that Paperwhite looks gigantic compared to the Kobo. I'd be willing to bet dollars that the next year's Kindle will look suspiciously similar to this year's Kobo.
That was one thing that disappointed me about this year's Kindle. Although it was nice to be able to use my same $40 case. I have a Kobo Glo and it is so much smaller and lighter that I tend to use it much more often than the Kindle. Plus with the SD card I don't have to worry about overloading it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #528
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Just my opinion, but this review of the Aura is the most honest I've yet to read.

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...#comment-37314
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #529
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
I took the chance and bought a aura yesterday in wh smiths. Upgrading from a t1. What a wonderful reader it is. I really like the flush surface and can't believe how small and light it is. It has 1 pinhole at the extreme edge which doesn't bother me. The light is great and far superior to my lighted cover for my t1. I can now synch reading position which i appreciate for many is an old feature but for us sony users is right at the forefront of what Sony can offer. Goodbye Sony ;-)
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #530
303 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I've encountered black borders on the screens of other e-readers and they have yet to create a problem for me.

Pinpricks, frequent flashes and white or reflective hardware (the silver PRS-350) are far more distracting to me than a black line at the top of an e-ink screen. I can live with that; twinkling stars in the middle of the page are another matter.
+1. This is really bothering me and I just got mine today. It has 6 of them, at least.
303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #531
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've got to say that after buying two of them, and having to return them due to the scratch like marking in the top 20mm or so of the screen, and going through two shops worth of stock all with the same problem, I am now thinking of buying the Aura HD.

I took a look at both of them side by side and the Aura HD really does have crisper text than the Aura.

Trouble is I really like the size and overall feel of the Aura better.

Infuriating.....
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #532
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Chocky: I know this might be a stupid question... I presume you are removing the screen protecting film from the device?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #533
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@Chocky: I know this might be a stupid question... I presume you are removing the screen protecting film from the device?
yes of course.

The sales girl even opened up a screen cleaner and gave one of them a good clean because she thought it was on the surface.

This is what I can see when either reading outside or with a single point light source, like an LED, to one side.

Spoiler:

It makes the text look "fuzzy" for the top 4 or 5 lines.

I have asked Kobo whether this a manufacturing fault or is it just a part of what the capacitance screen will show on the top 20mm as the answer will determine whether or not I keep looking for a good one, or just not buy one, (been 12 days and no "useful" response).

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-22-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #534
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You might try adjusting the frequency of the screen updates to see if that helps; settings | reading settings | refresh the page every:
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #535
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You might try adjusting the frequency of the screen updates to see if that helps; settings | reading settings | refresh the page every:
It can be seen even before going through the registration process, just shine an LED at an angle to the screen, after peeling back the protective film

It's a shame as it is only at the top, the rest of the screen is fine.

Which is why I believe it to be a manufacturing fault.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #536
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
It can be seen even before going through the registration process, just shine an LED at an angle to the screen, after peeling back the protective film

It seems to be pretty much widespread on the 6" Aura, so it's manufacturing or nature of the particular capacitive tech they are using. Any way you look at it, it's a physical issue, so changing refresh etc won't help.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #537
TheGuyFromNorth
TheGuyFromNorth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I've got to say that after buying two of them, and having to return them due to the scratch like marking in the top 20mm or so of the screen, and going through two shops worth of stock all with the same problem, I am now thinking of buying the Aura HD.

I took a look at both of them side by side and the Aura HD really does have crisper text than the Aura.

Trouble is I really like the size and overall feel of the Aura better.

Infuriating.....
This is exactly my impression too !

I compared them (AURA and Aura HD) side by side in the store, the same book, same font, etc and the Aura HD looked crisper, cleaner, the screen was whiter.

I returned my Aura because of the screen.
I hope that all of these problems will be fixed in the near future or maybe the next generation of Kobo.
TheGuyFromNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #538
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
^ Hehe, I compared them in the store and couldn't tell the difference. Personally as long as I can read the text and the size is just right I couldn't resist getting the Aura.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #539
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:

After seeing your photo, I've tried really hard to see if my Aura has the same. It doesn't appear to and I have even been taking photos and blowing them up on my 27" iMac. I'm wondering if it is only visible under certain light sources eg LEDs. My trials have been in daylight and incandescent lighting as I don't use LEDs or energy saving or fluorescent bulbs.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #540
soonerchick
soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad Pro, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
I purchased mine from Chapters and it's perfect! I love it. No problems so far. I've only had it a week.
soonerchick is offline   Reply With Quote