Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
"Consumers Don't Mind...Ads." Really?

From Shelf Awareness today:

In Forbes magazine, Erika Morphy offered four reasons why Amazon's new $114 Kindle with ads, which currently tops the company's bestselling electronics list, "is an interesting data point for the e-commerce industry and online advertisers":
1. Consumers don’t mind online ads, even in e-books, if they are transparent.
2. We’ll probably see more of the user’s choice ad model.
3. People don’t mind online ads if they get something in return... and if the ad is unobtrusive.
4.. Emboldened by user and advertiser support, Amazon may be more inclined to go a little crazy with the supposed tablet it is developing.

By "go a little crazy" I assume they mean with advertising, which could be a mistake.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Hopefully they will have two versions like they do with the Kindle and people can opt in to the ads.

The Offers on the KSO are pretty nice. I have not seen anything that I need or want in them but if they are in your zone you can save a decent amount of money. Not a bad deal.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Aren't 1 and 3 pretty much the same thing?

Anyway, I am not a consumer, I am a human being! Less facetiously, I choose to be defined by what I do, not by what I buy.

It is entirely possible that people who choose to be defined by what they buy do not mind being pestered to buy more and more. The rest of us, though, want a break from the incessant drumbeat of "buy ... buy ... buy ... buy." For me, reading is one of those breaks, and no amount of supposed benefit (which seems to involve me buying still more anyway) is going to change that.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
1. Consumers don’t mind online ads, even in e-books, if they are transparent.
As I understand it no one is subjected to ads while reading an ebook on the new ad-supported Kindle. Ads are on the Home page and screensavers only.

Having said that, I still wouldn't buy one myself, but I think it's important to be clear about exactly when you are being solicited... and it's clearly not in an ebook (unless you count the "if you liked this book" suggestions). When/If they do cross that particular line in the sand is the day my ereader learns what defenestration is all about.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
For me, reading is one of those breaks, and no amount of supposed benefit (which seems to involve me buying still more anyway) is going to change that.
I visit the ads on my KSO every 4 days. That's Amazon's current schedule for releasing new offers. Otherwise, I'm not aware of their presence.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I visit the ads on my KSO every 4 days. That's Amazon's current schedule for releasing new offers. Otherwise, I'm not aware of their presence.
Would you be more willing to call those offers coupons rather than ads? People seem to like coupons more these days.

I've actually been thinking about what kind of advertising I would be willing to tolerate for a subsidized Amazon tablet, I suspect it is none at all but maybe I will be surprised.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
How do those ads on the Kindle manifest anyway? I couldn't find anything on it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Would you be more willing to call those offers coupons rather than ads? People seem to like coupons more these days.
Works for me. Ads, offers, coupons, rebates, whatever; it's all the same to me. In the end, Amazon is giving me money to buy products I was already going to buy.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
How do those ads on the Kindle manifest anyway? I couldn't find anything on it...
The intial ads and offers were loaded on the KSO when it shipped. I would guess that new ads and offers will be sent through firmware upgrades or over the WiFi.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
They replace the dead author screensavers and add a small ad banner at the bottom of the home page. There's also a page of the current offers accessed only from the home page menu called "View Special Offers".

That's it. No manifestation anywhere else and definitely no ads while reading. I've saved $83 so far on products I was going to buy at full price anyway. I love the concept. It's a money saver for me.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
As I understand it no one is subjected to ads while reading an ebook on the new ad-supported Kindle. Ads are on the Home page and screensavers only.
I believe the concern is "so far." I don't believe for a second there aren't plans already in place to change that, the moment that Amazon thinks they can get away with it. With luck, they'll never think that, but I'm quite happy with my nook, so I don't really care.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin
I believe the concern is "so far." I don't believe for a second there aren't plans already in place to change that, the moment that Amazon thinks they can get away with it.
Which coincides nicely with the latter portion of my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
When/If they do cross that particular line in the sand is the day my ereader learns what defenestration is all about.
I just wanted make sure that people don't think that ads are popping up willy-nilly during the current book they're reading on the KSO.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Some website ads are certainly crossing the line for me. I don't mind static ads, say on Yahoo in years past. Lately we're facing more ads that expand across the page and move. A close second on my most-hated features are too many pop-up roll-overs on a page, where you can't hardly mouse around without triggering a few.

Today's ad supported Kindle seems like a good idea. Tomorrow's? Not as likely.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #14
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I really don't mind ads on the internet. I almost don't mind pop-ups, either. I have a slower computer, so the really flashy ones bother me only in that they slow me down dramatically. But everything else I just ignore. They don't get in the way.

If I hadn't already been given a Kindle, I would definitely get the Offers one. It's cheaper and there's the chance that I'll get shown a coupon/ad/whatever for something I was already going to get. What's not to like? I'm not going to buy something I didn't want to buy before.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They replace the dead author screensavers and add a small ad banner at the bottom of the home page. There's also a page of the current offers accessed only from the home page menu called "View Special Offers".

That's it. No manifestation anywhere else and definitely no ads while reading. I've saved $83 so far on products I was going to buy at full price anyway. I love the concept. It's a money saver for me.

That doesn't sound too bad... I had all kinds of horror scenarios in mind, where you'd get an add every 10 pages you'd read
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote