Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #91
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
The Mistborn trilogy was a good listen. The reader didn't particularly stand out, but that's a good thing in my book.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #92
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I really enjoyed the Mistborn audiobooks. And I agree, Michael Kramer as a narrator is very good.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #93
Harlock415
Connoisseur
Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Voyage
For fans of Simon Vance, he's recently done the first 3 books in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles for Audible. I just got Robert McCammon's Swan Song, narrated by Tom Schecshulte.

The Dune audio book is very good with a large cast reading.

Last edited by Harlock415; 11-17-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Harlock415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #94
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock415 View Post
The Dune audio book is very good with a large cast reading.
The one at Audible? It's *awesome* the large cast is excellent and the whole thing is like a high-quality radio play. I loved it.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #95
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
The Graphic Audio edition of Brandon Sanderson's Elantris was very cool, also produced like a radio play, and the story was imaginative and original.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #96
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm reading the second book in Andrea Camilleri's series, set in Sicily, featuring Inspector Montalbano. Grover Gardner's narration makes them come alive, whereas I doubt I'd like much in print.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #97
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
I'm listening to the first volume of Winston Churchill's account of the Second World War. If you are a member at audible.com, the first volume (covering the period from 1919 to 1940 when Churchill became Prime Minister) is on sale for $4.95. What I like best, is the narrator has a voice that sounds amazingly like the old audio recordings I have heard of the real Winston Churchill. Since the book is done in a first person style, this narrator is an added treat.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #98
Coralm
Enthusiast
Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle
I've been listening to The Many Colored Land by Julian May on my walks. Really enjoyable so far. A rich scifi world with intriguing characters. I like the narrator very much, Bernadette Dunne. I'm just hoping they release the next books in that format soon.
Coralm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #99
Bart Page
Bart Page began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If you like Fantasy here are a few great stories paired with excellent narrators:

Storm Front (Jim Butcher) - Narrated by James Marsters
The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss) - Narrated by Nick Podehl
The Way of Kings (Brandon Sanderson) - Narrated by Kate Reading and Michael Kramer

A more complete fantasy audiobook list is here, but these are my favorite three.
Bart Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:27 AM   #100
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
I was given the Rob Inglis readings of
'Lord of The Rings' years back. I just love
the reading,he more or less 'acts' each
character,with a different voice and gives
accents slight twists;whilst each voice is
still 'the narrator' you can instantly tell who
is 'speaking' each time.He also sings the songs
in the story,to tunes he created himself,as
opposed to simply reading them as poems.
At around 55 hours it is not for the faint of
heart,but if ,like me, you love the book, then
this is the one to go with.
The only other version I have ever come across
is read by Peter J Reynolds, and is specifically a
'talking book' for the visually impaired. PJR uses
a naturally plummy,upper class voice,which is
clear enough,but may not suit all listeners.He
also simply 'talks' the songs,and gets the correct
pronunciation of many names wrong,where the
letter C is given value of K rather than a 'soft C'
So in his version Celeborn, is Seleborn,which did
not sit comfortably with me.
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #101
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Page View Post
If you like Fantasy here are a few great stories paired with excellent narrators:

Storm Front (Jim Butcher) - Narrated by James Marsters
The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss) - Narrated by Nick Podehl
The Way of Kings (Brandon Sanderson) - Narrated by Kate Reading and Michael Kramer

A more complete fantasy audiobook list is here, but these are my favorite three.
I would add The Wake of the Dragon (Jaq D. Hawkins) read by Kevin Marchant to this list. He has the perfect voice for a Victorian Alternate History selection and the story is good fun.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #102
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I was going to recommend the Jim Weiss-narrated Catch-22 but it seems the only version currently available is narrated by Jay O. Sanders. Sanders isn't bad, but listening to Weiss you could easily imagine Yossarian himself was reading the book.

I think the Weiss version was a Books On Tape version from the 90s.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:34 AM   #103
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Hi everyone. I prefer to read audiobooks narrated by women. But I'm not partial to the romance genre. Can someone recommend me audiobooks voiced by women? Preferably not from the romance/adult genre?
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #104
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Hi everyone. I prefer to read audiobooks narrated by women. But I'm not partial to the romance genre. Can someone recommend me audiobooks voiced by women? Preferably not from the romance/adult genre?
Search on Nadia May/Wanda McCaddon/Donada Peters (same person) at Audible. I'd say she's the top female narrator of all of them and she's narrated a lot of classics and non-fiction.

Another I've liked is Bernadette Dunne's narrations of Shirley Jackson suspense/horror novels.

Davina Porter is hugely popular and she's done lots of mysteries as well as romance.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #105
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Your'e a lifesaver issybird. This is going to keep me busy for a long time!
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobook, recommendation