Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Oct. 5th official Kobo Glo release date in Canada?

Apologies if this has been covered in other threads (though I couldn't find a thread about the Kobo Glo's release date), but when I pre-ordered mine at a Coles location I was told that they'd be receiving the devices as soon as Monday, but that they're street-dated for this Friday, October 5th.

Given I'm on Vancouver Island, that's about the time a pre-order through Chapters/Indigo's website would have arrived if ground shipped (people began receiving shipping notifcations a couple of days ago), so that makes a lot of sense. Can't wait. I've been using a Kobo Vox, and occasionally the Kobo app on other devices, so this will be my first e-ink reader for personal use (I previously bought a used original non-Wifi Kobo as a gift for a co-worker who needed one with a D-pad).
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Officially, October 5th is the street date. There have been plenty of reports that stores will likely have them sooner than that, it's just a matter of how soon they put them out.

It's probably worth phoning stores just to see if they have them for sale, or when they plan to. I'm going to phone my local Chapters store in the morning to ask them when I can pick one up. It's not uncommon for street date to be broken when the product is already being sent to customers through other means as well.

I too am looking forward to getting one and hopping on the e-reader train!
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Yeah, I would definitely check with your local store, the one in my area told me that they are hoping to have it for sale by tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
When I called they were supposed to have arrived today, but hadn't shown up today. I'm starting to regret my decision not to pre-order as it seems supply must have gone that way this time rather than to bricks and mortar.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
eroe
eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Have you tried BestBuy? Many of the stores on the Best Buy website that allow you to reserve in-store should also have some in stock (I managed to get one today, though I live in Toronto). I had contacted Chapters earlier today and the stores near me only expected to have some in-stock by the 27th of October. I'm only referring to the stock available to buy in the store though, not pre-orders.
eroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Currently Best Buy in Nanaimo (my area) has none in stock, Victoria is showing no information available. Courtney & Campbell River don't seem to have a Best Buy.

Futureshop.ca is showing it available online but not in stores.

As much as I really want one, personally I'm content to wait and see how the reviews are first.

EDIT:
Strange, just did a search for the Duncan area and turned up 2 Best Buys in Victoria area that have them:

Victoria
Uptown
3501 Blanshard Street
Victoria, BC, V8Z 0B9
Phone: (250) 380-6628

Langford
Westshore Town Centre
109-2955 Phipps Road
Victoria, BC, V9B 0J9
Phone: (250) 915-1177

Last edited by Danger; 10-01-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
Picked my Glo up at Best Buy today (White Oaks London). Chapters didn't have my preorder in yet so cancelling. The girl at Best Buy said they have had them since yesterday. No smart covers anywhere though.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Nobody in Winnipeg has them yet. I got wildly different responses when I asked about availability as well:

- Best Buy: Unsure, probably by week's end.
- Coles: Demo units sometime this week, unsure if they'll actually get any to sell.
- Chapters: They'll have them "by October 27th"; I almost couldn't believe this, but it's what I was told by two different stores.
- Indigo: Hoped to have them on sale today, but the shipment was delayed. Told me to call back tomorrow at 11AM; he was hoping to get them tomorrow.

Indigo had the most certainty on even carrying the product, and if it doesn't sound good tomorrow, I may end up just ordering it online.

This certainly is a bit of a bizarre product launch.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The answer I got was that they wanted to make sure they were in all of the stores before putting them up for sale. Chapters on the web does NOT say anything about being able to purchase them in a store yet. Kobo itself doesn't give a date, and Chapters is NOT Kobo (anymore).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Strange, just did a search for the Duncan area and turned up 2 Best Buys in Victoria area that have them:
Wow... I'm in Victoria, now that's tempting. I have one pre-ordered at the Coles across the parking lot from one of those two Best Buys. Much as I'd rather buy it from Coles, with no firm ETA I might get it from Best Buy and get my pre-order refunded.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
My local BestBuy had them since yesterday (maybe earlier), so I was gonna go pick one up there today, but turns out my local Chapters just got their shipment today, so I will probably buy there.

Is there a difference in return policies between Chapters and BestBuy? Are they both 15 days (with respect to eReaders)? Also, has anyone had experience with trying to exchange defected Kobos, if either of the stores was more or less willing to exchange the product for you?
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
scrapking
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
For your interest, Danger, I did go snag one last night from Best Buy. Thanks for the tip. Karma to you!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I live in Ottawa, Ont and I picked up two Glows last night at Chapters.

I am very impressed so far. Set up was very easy. It was over 50% charged out of the box. Unlike the Kobo Touch this unit could be setup without a PC hook up. You have the option to use PC hook up or over Wifi. I chose wifi and within 5 mins it was up and running and downloading my library.

The glow fucntion is neat and works as advertized. Very impressed with the readability under poor lighting. The new firmware has added some new features such as choice of size for the screen saver. The main menu page has been revamped and they have added Chess to the "Extra app" selections.

IMO the unit has better response time as well as touch sensitivity. I tried out the Web Browser and I was impressed with it's functionallity.

My only complaint is that I bought my touch one month ago - not knowing that the Glo was around the cornner. The Glo is much more responsive in handling my e-book collection which I have on a micro sdhc card. It was more responsive in processing my sdhc card for the first time (app 900 e-books) and returning to the Home menu from an open e-book does not take as long as it did in my Kobo Touch. The Glo has a 1 gig mhz processor as appose to the 800 mhz processor in the Touch.

These are just my first impressions as I have only owned the unit just a little over 24 hrs.

Note: the new firmware is also out for the regular Kobo Touch but does not include the Chess app.

I highly recommend this device over the Touch. I did most of my reading under poor lighting (which was ok in the living-room with a lamp behind me), but in bed I usually used a miner's type LED Head light to read in the dark. It produced a good light but it was uncomfortable to wear and it would shift every now and then. The Glo unit is excellent for this type of environment.

I would assume that the Barnes & Noble Glo as well as Amazon's unit produced simillar results with re: to the display experience.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote