Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
RichardGH
RichardGH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Database Failure

Anyone know why Calibre regularly corrupts its own database when adding new metadata and the rebuild never works ?
RichardGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGH View Post
Anyone know why Calibre regularly corrupts its own database when adding new metadata and the rebuild never works ?
Since calibre does not "regularly" corrupt its own database you are going to have to give us more info. What OS? What version of calibre? exactly what are you doing when this happens?

I have used calibre for years and have never once had a corrupted database.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
In addition to Walt's question:

Are you keeping your Library on a removable/Network drive?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
RichardGH

Unfortuately I have had at least three corrupted databases and I am not using a removable or network drive. My system is Windows 7 Pro based and Calibre version 0.8.50. And I am about to manually rebuild the database for the 4th time. There are 242 books in the database and corruption is always associated with downloading new metadata. In each case it has been after a new book was added and the rebuild option has not worked.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
RichardGH

Sorry I should have added that the corruption occurs when the metadata popup is closed - by pressing ok - to make the addition.
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
This is definitely not a behaviour I have seen in several years of heavy use of Calibre and I also use Windows 7 Pro. It sounds as if on your system there is something interfering with Calibre's disk access.

One thing that occurs to me - have you excluded the Calibre library from checking with your Anti-Virus software? I did this to improve performance, and because eBooks are not something that needs checking for a virus.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
adding to Itimpi
Books are normally checked by A/V before adding (the browser/mail download folders should never be excluded).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #8
RichardGH

I use Virgin Media's own A/V and upgraded Defender Firewall. They should alert me before taking any action. The metadate does seem to download and the problem I think occurs when I accept it and Calibre tries to add it to the main database. By the way the library files are storred on a different disk to the program files as is my normal practice. That disk is a normal fixed disk connected directly to a motherboard sata port.

Does anyone know how to manually repair the database ? Possibly by using the databse engine.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I tried the Virgin Media A/V software but it caused me problems with the AV software interfering with normal program execution.. I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials and that seemed to solve the problems I was encountering.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
RichardGH

Thanks itimpi, I think you have solved it. I transfered all files to another computer not using the Virgin Media A/V and recovered everything immediately. I then transfered the restored files back to my main machine and can use Calibre again. It certainly looks like a clash with the VM protection. I will log that with their help desk, not that I expect any action from them, but it might help someone else.
Many thanks