Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
addepalli1
addepalli1 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER PRS 500, Kindle DX
Reading Scientific papers on Kindle DX

This question might have been asked and answered. But i could not find any similar.

Is there a conversion processto convert scientific papers to read on KINDLEDX. Most of these publications are in 2 colum format, when i convert the pdf document using calibre from PDF to MOBI, the outfile contains text from both colums concatenated together.

Any suggestions.
addepalli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
multi column support is on the TODO list, but it's not there yet.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
addepalli1

Great

How long before you get to that on the list.. A big thank you for all the updates...
Old 12-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Am I missing something, or is there a reason you can't read it on the DX in PDF format?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
addepalli1

i have tried reading the papers on Dx. The font is awfully small, font resizing is disabled. Were you able to read two column IEEE papers on DX. I might be doing something wrong.
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Quote:
Originally Posted by addepalli1 View Post
i have tried reading the papers on Dx. The font is awfully small, font resizing is disabled. Were you able to read two column IEEE papers on DX. I might be doing something wrong.
I read IEEE papers on DX frequently....and most of time it looks fine. Sometimes, I had to read in landscape mode though..
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
addepalli1

Well then i am obvisly doing something wrong. I dont get the text correct.

Here is one of the papers i am trying to read can u tell me if this works ok...i know the text looks ok but the text from first colum gets concatenated with the text from second colum when i transfer my file.

I use calibre to transfer files to my DX

Last edited by addepalli1; 12-05-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Bad link
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #9
addepalli1

Apologies... Modified the permissions and verified access. It is accessible now. When i transfer this to kindle DX the font is small to read.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:24 AM   #10
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Download works now. I don't have a Kindle DX but .... Looks fine on my computer, works on the Kindle2 (which is all I have) but the font is so tiny it's unreadable there. There is no overlapping or that sort of thing both columns are displayed correctly.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
addepalli1

Yes... That is correct. The font is too small to read...so when i covert it using calibre, that is when the text overlap occurs. I found one other utility where it crops every column and makes a pdf.. thank you
Old 12-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
kennyc

Oh, I see. I guess I wasn't following the entire process.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #13
wellwet
wellwet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Crop margins to fit PDF's to the DX secreen, it'll look better
wellwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #14
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Device: PRS-505
It's on the TODO list of my little scanned PDF text thicken/bolden program.
But sometimes it makes not much sense for scientific papers because most of them have graphs/plots. Cutting the page in half will break the graphs.

So now I just crop the margins and thicken/bolden the texts.

Quote:
This question might have been asked and answered. But i could not find any similar.

Is there a conversion processto convert scientific papers to read on KINDLEDX. Most of these publications are in 2 colum format, when i convert the pdf document using calibre from PDF to MOBI, the outfile contains text from both colums concatenated together.

Any suggestions.
DairyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #15
bce3
bce3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Yes... That is correct. The font is too small to read...so when i covert it using calibre, that is when the text overlap occurs. I found one other utility where it crops every column and makes a pdf.. thank you
What utility is that? I've been looking for something like this.
bce3 is offline   Reply With Quote