impossible to launch calibre

hello,
first, sorry for my english language
windows Vista
no problem to install calibre
impossible to launch calibre :
first message : database format changed
calibre's book storage has changed...
After my choice of a folder ... nothing...
More exactly,the same message :database format changed

thank for your attention

littoral
littoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_m...ing-on-windows
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
cottonball
cottonball began at the beginning.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-505
I'm having the same problem, but on WinXP SP2. After I designate the folder, the GUI very briefly appears with the migrating dialog on top. I tried all the suggestions on the page you cited, but no go. Here's the output from debug:

C:\Program Files\calibre>calibre-debug -c "from calibre.gui2.main import main;
ain()"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "debug.py", line 96, in <module>
File "debug.py", line 80, in main
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1287, in main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 237, in __init__
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 1166, in migrate_old
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 491, in set_path
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 464, in construct_path_name
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 375, in get_property
IndexError: list index out of range

C:\Program Files\calibre>
cottonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm regression. I'll upload a fixed build in an hour. Re-download and try again.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm regression. I'll upload a fixed build in an hour. Re-download and try again.
I am wondering if you have considered moving to some type of two stage release schedule. I notice that alot of times there are regression... which I under stand. But, it seems that every new build you release I am notified about it. I wonder if now that this software is so popular you might consider having your auto update and versioning scheme be set up so that auto-update notices are only sent out for "stable" versions.

There are several other open source projects that do something like this. That way, people that want to get your betas or whatever know that there may be a problem. Once you have had a version out for a while and fixed any bug reports you then release it as a stable version.

I know you don't do this for a living... but it might save you some time in the forum and also it will save new users from seeing alot of regression or other bugs.

Just a suggestion.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Actually I was just thinking about moving the auto update notification to even numbers only. The only concern is that I'm sceptical as to how much testing odd number releases will actually recieve without the update notification. I doubt there are many people that actively keep an eye out for calibre updates. This way atleast when critical bugs are identified I can fix them in a jiffy.

Part of the reason that calibre has made so much progress so quickly is that I release buggy code, and get my users to do the testing for me. If I started to wait for code to "stabilize" the pace of development would inevitably slow down.

It's a tradeoff, and I'm not sure where the sweetspot is.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:23 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'd suggest simply changing your version numbering (Currently you're using A.B.C)

Quite apart from the issue of A=0 (see [1] below), either incrementing the 'B' for features or splitting the 'C' into 'C.D' and differentiating the feature change releases from any bug-fix releases would allow users to estimate & judge the chance of issues in any particular release.

[1] http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2003/07...mbers_and_you/
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
cottonball

Quote:
Hi - Were you able to upload a new version? The latest I see is still 0.4.103 (the one I had the problem with). No rush!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonball View Post
Hi - Were you able to upload a new version? The latest I see is still 0.4.103 (the one I had the problem with). No rush!
He said he would fix the build... I don't think he meant it would be a new version. So the fixed build is still version .103.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
littoral
littoral began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Quote:
for me, same problem after new download

Here's the output from debug:

File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1185, i
n initialize_database
File "calibre\library\database.pyo", line 796, in __init__
File "calibre\library\database.pyo", line 47, in _connect
OperationalError: unable to open database file
File "debug.py", line 96, in <module>
File "debug.py", line 80, in main
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1287, i
n main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 219, in
__init__
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 352, in __init__
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 335, in connect
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 151, in connect
calibre.library.sqlite.DatabaseException: unable to open database file
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 72, in run
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 65, in connect
OperationalError: unable to open database file

thank
Old 11-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #11
cottonball

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
He said he would fix the build... I don't think he meant it would be a new version. So the fixed build is still version .103.
If you ask me (and you didn't :-) version numbers are cheap and should always be incremented to prevent confusion...

Anyway, I downloaded the new build and while my initial problem is no more, the application now hangs (and consumes all my CPU) when I try to open an html formatted book (converted from .pdb using ereader2html).
Old 11-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonball View Post
If you ask me (and you didn't :-) version numbers are cheap and should always be incremented to prevent confusion...

Anyway, I downloaded the new build and while my initial problem is no more, the application now hangs (and consumes all my CPU) when I try to open an html formatted book (converted from .pdb using ereader2html).
version numbers are cheap, but asking users to download a new version with a single bugfix is not.

Give it a little time, calibre now parses html files, follows all links in themand creates a zip file automatically on import.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #13
cottonball

Quote:
version numbers are cheap, but asking users to download a new version with a single bugfix is not.

Give it a little time, calibre now parses html files, follows all links in themand creates a zip file automatically on import.
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree about the version numbers. I'm a long time build and configuration management guy. Anyway...

Patience paid off and it did complete. Perhaps you could add a progress indicator?

The resulting lrf came out pretty good with just the default settings. However, the last line of every paragraph was centered between the margins. I couldn't find a setting to [left?] justify. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
littoral
littoral began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
there is no solution for my problem ?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #15
cottonball

I was able to resolve my problem of the last line in each paragraph being centered by following the advice in this thread:

last line in each paragraph centred
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=centered

I used MS Word to load and resave the html file (without modification) and the convert went fine.