Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
Ways to identify a book?

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there was a good way to identify a book, for any edition. Let me explain: I lost a library book once. Said library asked me to replace the book. So far, easy. Problem: the original edition was out of print and there was apparently no new edition. While discussing with a knowledgeable seller, it turned out that the book had been reprinted by a new editor who changed the title. In the new edition, you could find the old title mentioned (first edition).

So how would you identify a book like this?

Thanks!
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'd start with Google, and Fantastic Fiction UK.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was a book from a French author so fantastic fiction UK probably wouldn't be much help, especially looking for a title in French ^^

I was more wondering if there was something like a database matching ISBNs of various editions to the first edition...
Old 07-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Ansileran
Zealot

The book in question is the first of a serie for kids by Lorris Murail.
Apparently, the original title was "Dan Martin, détective" (1994) here which was reprinted as "Le chartreux de Pam" (1999) here. Wikipedia (in French) lists them as two separate stories (first and last of the serie) but it's the same book.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
I usually use worldcat.org
Check if this link helps you.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Ansileran
Zealot

It makes the link between various editions sporting the same title ("Dan Martin, détective") but not between different titles... "Le chartreux de Pam" still appears as a different book...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I guess it has to do with ISBN, publisher and publishing rights. If the books was given a completely different title, new ISBN and doesn't mention it, I guess it would be rather difficult to find a system where one might be able to get that info.
The libraries or knowledgable seller you mentioned probably know much better.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sometimes the same book from different publishers has different titles even when in the same language. Agatha Christie is well known for that. Have you thought of writing to the publisher (if you remember their name) to see what info. they might have on the book? For that matter I'd guess there is some part of the French Government that deals with published books. Over here in the U.S. when a book is published information (and a copy) are sent to the Library of Congress. I can only think there must be something similar in France as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Does the ISBN also gets to be changed? The title has changed but the content is still the same plot right? It' confuses me. haha
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Ansileran
Zealot

Yes, the ISBN changed too (it changes for each new edition). For this one book, I know about it but what if you are purchasing books online? You'd just see a new book in a serie you like and purchase it without any further thought (at least, that's what I do). And then you start reading... what a disappointment (and waste of money).

I checked on the BNF's catalogue (equivalent to the Library of Congress in this). It doesn't identify the books as the same... And unless this 12 y.o. detective helped two crying girl named Pam locate their cats while receiving death threats, I doubt the story differ...

I guess there is nothing to be done...
Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
jmilica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansileran View Post
Yes, the ISBN changed too (it changes for each new edition). For this one book, I know about it but what if you are purchasing books online? You'd just see a new book in a serie you like and purchase it without any further thought (at least, that's what I do). And then you start reading... what a disappointment (and waste of money).

I checked on the BNF's catalogue (equivalent to the Library of Congress in this). It doesn't identify the books as the same... And unless this 12 y.o. detective helped two crying girl named Pam locate their cats while receiving death threats, I doubt the story differ...

I guess there is nothing to be done...
AFAIK, it depends on publisher who provides the book for BNF or Library of Congress. They have to notify before getting ISBN that this edition has anything to do with the previous edition. Then it will be stated in what is CIP (cataloguing in publication) which is determined by BNF/LC before the book is published.
At least, that's how I was thought in school in 20 century.
Q is if today's publishers went to such schools
Edit: Don't know how CIP is called in French, but my guess would be PIC

Last edited by jmilica; 07-16-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
I would start with the author's website, but a quick google.fr on the author's name didn't bring up any results (very quick skim of first two pages) that looked like his personal site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Sometimes the same book from different publishers has different titles even when in the same language.
Like US/UK editions, a prime example of which is the first Harry Potter book.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #13
Ansileran
Zealot

I guess the publisher didn't do it's job... This happens quite often with children books when they get republished. I remember it was written inside the book but it wasn't referenced as such in catalogues...

@jehane:
Many French authors do not have a personal site / blog / contact page (not even through their publisher), and we know little about them, especially those who write for kids. The Murail are a family of writers specializing in novels for kids. The two sister are quite well known in France (Marie-Aude Murail and Elvire Murail, under the alias "Moka"). And of course... no ebook ^^

Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
mobilelover
Enthusiast
mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
did you try making a google search you haven't shared the name of the book try searching google play store may be you can find book stores or other libraries that sell it, search craigslist as well.
mobilelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Did the library still have some info. in their files about the book that could help you in your search? Or have they already purged their database of information on it?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote