Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: iPad
love calibre but...

... the most frustrating thing is to have to be on the same computer to use it, i.e. I cannot work on my library if I happen to have some spare time at work, and I have to wait till I am home...

Is there some way I can connect to the same library remotely?

Right now, I use log me in to connect to the desktop of the mac where calibre runs (and it runs as a content server as well).

I do not want to use dropbox or other cloud - syncing software. I have some DRM stripped epub and I read drobox can cancel accounts for that. And besides I guess that using calibre with those app can easily lead to some messes.

Some ideas I wonder if it could work with:

a) putting the library into a remote linux VPS and mounting the server as a local directory on the mac?
b) create a VPN via Hamachi or else?
c) any other idea, hint?

Thank you, have a nice Easter!

–
cordialmente,

[Promotion deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 11:03 AM.
tsolignani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolignani View Post
... the most frustrating thing is to have to be on the same computer to use it, i.e. I cannot work on my library if I happen to have some spare time at work, and I have to wait till I am home...

Is there some way I can connect to the same library remotely?

Right now, I use log me in to connect to the desktop of the mac where calibre runs (and it runs as a content server as well).

I do not want to use dropbox or other cloud - syncing software. I have some DRM stripped epub and I read drobox can cancel accounts for that. And besides I guess that using calibre with those app can easily lead to some messes.

Some ideas I wonder if it could work with:

a) putting the library into a remote linux VPS and mounting the server as a local directory on the mac?
b) create a VPN via Hamachi or else?
c) any other idea, hint?

Thank you, have a nice Easter!

–
cordialmente,

tiziano solignani, da  Mac
http://blog.solignani.it
The way you are doing it (for the current versions) is probably the safest (assuming: Strong passwords on the remote access).

Multi-user access is on the hoizion. Don't hold your breath...there is no schedule .
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolignani View Post
It's your choice, but lots of people (including me) have their calibre library in Dropbox without any issues. I believe the issue with DRM-stripped books only happens if they are in a public folder.

I think there are issues with putting a calibre library on Google Drive, but I don't know details.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
calibre and Google drive do not work together; Gdrive seems to 'loose' the digits at the end of the calibre created directories.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

google drive is crapware, do not depend on it for your data

apart from that, what if I kept my main calibre library on a local machine and then sync (one way with rsync) to a Linux VPS where I would run a command line version of the calibre content server?

that way, I could keep the main library onto my Mac, and work on it, while the copy on the VPS would serve both for backup and content- serving purposes.

My VPS is an Ubuntu server one, do you think I could install a command line version of calibre and keep it running smoothly? Where would I configure a password then?

Thank you.
Advert
Old 04-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As an alternative, you could run Calibre Portable from a thumb drive (if your library isn't too big) or an external hard drive (if it is).

That's the way I keep access to my library with me (almost) all the time. The obvious drawback is that it requires me to carry something physical with me.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
tsolignani
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
As an alternative, you could run Calibre Portable from a thumb drive (if your library isn't too big) or an external hard drive (if it is).

That's the way I keep access to my library with me (almost) all the time. The obvious drawback is that it requires me to carry something physical with me.
Thank you, I had thought of that but then count it out, for I have to share my library with wify ;-) (i.e.: wife, not wi-fi) and sometimes other persons. And I do not even know wether a portable version exists for Mac or not.

Thanks again.

–
cordialmente,

[Promotion deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 10:59 AM.