Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Will the new Kindle(s) touch change your mind about getting a Nook Touch?
Yes 27 24.32%
No 73 65.77%
I don't know yet 11 9.91%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #16
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
These new Kindles, while they are a lot better than the older ones, still do not have 2 things I consider essential.

Epub support
Card Slot

Without these, I would rather pass.

I am looking at the new Sony T1, though. That seems like a nice reader and I will give it a look.

Oh, by the way, now that the Kindle has a touchscreen, it seems to be okay now. Just sayin...
Wow, they still don't have sdcard support? should have added that to my list.

lol, I did notice many of the Kindle fanboys and fangirls quickly change their tune today.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #17
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I didn't vote because I already have a Nook Touch. I love it for all the reasons listed. I also would hate having ads popping up on my reader and I like being able to chose my own screen savers.

I have a Kindle too and it has a number of good points as well. I'm thinking about a Kindle Touch largely because some books are available for the Kindle that Nook doesn't have and vice versa. The Kindle's biggest advantage has always been that it's ubiquitous: there has always been a wide selection of accessories from third party suppliers.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 AM   #18
Rjl2001
Enthusiast
Rjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic Wifi, Nook Color (rooted)
The announcement of the new Kindle Touch will probably be enough for me to hold off on buying a Nook Touch until I can at least get an honest comparison. I started off with a Nook Color, then bought a Nook Classic and realized how much I liked having an eink display for reading outdoors. Was really tempted when the Nook Touch came out but still haven't bought one. I have also given my Nook Classic to my sister, got my brother the Nook Touch for his birthday, and with a spur of the moment purchase got myself a Sony PRS350. I have been trying to sell the Sony 350 for the last couple months so I could use the money towards the Nook Touch. But as I said it looks like it would be worthwhile to wait until the new Kindles come out and I can get a good look at them. Heck, even the Kindle Fire looks appealing to me but will have to see what their Android App support is like.

For some reason I generally like buying products from a company other than the market leader for that product. Have never bought/owned an Apple product in my life. Cell phones have mostly been Nokia's. Don't think I've ever bought a Sony piece of electronics (oops, except the ereader), or HP for that matter. Cameras have been Fuji or Pentax, not Canon or Nikon. Don't have any Nike shoes/clothes. Not sure there's a good explanation for any of that, I guess I prefer to be different.
Rjl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #19
powree
powree began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
If kindle supported Epub, I think I would've bought the Kindle, since it's customer support is better than BN. I've seen a case where a K3 owner from Indonesia gets a replacement from Amazon. Of course, the shipping fee becomes a problem, especially since the owner had her K3 broke again and had to ship it for the 2nd time.

Actually I was considering K3 UNTIL I saw STR's ad. ) And then I fell in love with STR. And I'd rather stick with one e-reader as long as it works fine...
powree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #20
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I won't vote in the poll since I already own a nook touch. However, if I were new to e-books, it would be a tough choice. I originally went with a nook for .pdb/epub support and the library access. Kindle now has the library access but I'll stick with the nook because all my books are now epub. The new kindles aren't groundbreaking so I seen no reason to buy a new device and go through the trouble of converting all my files to a kindle supported format.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #21
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
The nook STR and the equivalent Kindle are both $139. Given that, I would still go for the nook for these reasons:
  • ePub
  • page turn buttons
  • ergonomics
  • color

There are other advantages, like
  • read in store
  • free goodies in store

but they don't apply to me as I'm in Canada.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #22
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I won't vote in the poll since I already own a nook touch. However, if I were new to e-books, it would be a tough choice. I originally went with a nook for .pdb/epub support and the library access. Kindle now has the library access but I'll stick with the nook because all my books are now epub. The new kindles aren't groundbreaking so I seen no reason to buy a new device and go through the trouble of converting all my files to a kindle supported format.
Oh and an external SD card. That is definitely a deal breaker for me. The external page turn buttons are nice when I'm eating lunch, but not a requirement for me.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #23
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I would buy the nook STR over the Kindle because I don't want to support Amazon if i can help it. They're pretty much equal on most things so it's not a matter of features or price but principle for me.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #24
tom e
tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.

Device: none
I have never bought an e-reader yet, but have been watching closely. I was REALLY in the market for the STR, but then decided I wanted to wait for and check out two things: the iRiver Story HD, and the new Kindle. The reason for these, is that if nobody is putting simple apps on an e-ink device, then my decision comes down to epubs. I wasn't holding out much hope that Amazon would allow epubs, but I did kind of suspect that they would let you access their own app store for some simple things (calendar, calculators, simple notes making etc). Since they didn't, it's back to epubs! I guess the Story HD will be easier for the free epubs that I want, but the STR has the potential to be rooted and therefore I can get some apps (though with no guarantees and I'm on my own).. I've decided I'm tired of waiting for the perfect device, the STR seems to be the best for my needs, I'll be buying next month!
tom e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #25
allinhi/
Connoisseur
allinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook color
For me the hardware is not the deciding factor, nor is the difference in cost significant. The deciding factor for me is the loss of control over the products and the amount of informaion Amazon collects and retains. If that doesn't bother someone there are some real advantages to a cloud based services and some cost savings through Amazon. If you go with one of the wifi only models the disadvantages don't really mean much until you get to the fire, given the battery life the non color models have and the expansion issues are the same for these models without tablet features hardware is not a big factor.
allinhi/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:57 AM   #26
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
... without landscape mode, without whisper-sync ... without Amazon customer support ...
without free cloud storage
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #27
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I might be in the market for an e-ink device very soon, and the only thing tempting about the new Kindles is the price. The "special offers" don't strike me as a huge negative.

The Kindle is still pretty much the "for dummies" reader, though, and as a non-dummy (with regard to consumer gadgetry, anyway) I can get a lot more out of the STR. I'm actually thinking about selling off my dual-booting Nook Color, and replacing my former NC + dumbphone combo with STR + smartphone, and a rooted STR will fill in a lot more gaps than a locked-down Kindle.

I got a used Xperia X10 off craigslist the other day, and like the NC it's now running rooted Gingerbread with most of the same apps, which leaves the NC seeming a tad redundant. A medium-sized device has its advantages, but between the phone and an e-ink reader that can handle a few apps, I think I'd have it covered.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #28
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
Well, Amazon has finally released a version of Kindle that looks good to me. I never could stand that keyboard that they included..... might be useful for students, but my ereader is not a study device.

The only drawback now to the new Kindle is the lack of epub support. When they include that, I might find myself buying one.

Vic
I have a STR and I voted for it based on how attractive Kindle 4's specs appear to me. As with you, I don't like the keyboard, and the lack of ePub support is a major no-no for me.

In terms of physical buttons, doesn't matter to me. The texture of the bezels don't matter as well since I would get it covered up with decals anyway.

So yup, sticking to STR.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #29
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
without free cloud storage
lol, free as in buy books from Amazon and we will store them here for you in our "cloud". How is that different from B&N book store? Maybe they just aren't using marketing buzz-words to mislead people.

I personally like that Nook has potential to store up to 32gb of any content the device, an option you don't have on any Kindle.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Will the new Kindle(s) touch change your mind about getting a Nook Touch
No, but the Sony Wifi PRS-T1 would if I was looking for a reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote