Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Marketing: What works?

I've just released my new novel, Koenig's World. I've added a free coupon for Smashwords, but so far have received 14 downloads - 2 paid. And not a single download from Amazon.

I'm probably a little impatient, but I have spent many weeks rewriting this novel, and I'd like to think that someone, somewhere, is reading it.

Perhaps you'd all be so kind as to tell me what has worked for you in terms of marketing. It's not something I'm good at.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
The key word in your post, Luke, is WORK. Nothing else hacks it. Neil (forty-five years trying to find a simple answer to the same question)
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
The biggest hurdle we have is making people aware that the book exists. I started promoting my book about a month before its publish date (next week). If you didn't do any pre-release promo, you'll need to start now. Without knowing what you've done yet, I'll just direct you to two of my blog posts where I've listed some things to get you started:

http://fantasyauthor.blogspot.com/20...ing-tip-1.html
http://fantasyauthor.blogspot.com/20...ing-tip-2.html

I'll get the other tips I have posted soon. Hope this helps!
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
There are many things you can do. I'm a fly fishing writer. What works for me is posting articles and memoirs on sites, like ezines, amazines, article snatch, go articles, author's den, etc. The articles link back to my website, which links to my book.

(You are giving other sites the right to publish your articles and stories.)

I also publish on fly fishing ezines.

I'm not sure what kind of book you have, but I'd see if there are any relevent online book clubs, then I'd contact the leader (if they have one) and offer to send him a copy of your book. (Hopefully he or she will have an ereader.)

In the end, however, I believe that promoting a book is a tough, tough go. There are so many books out there.

Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Find a few other people who write in your genre and see if they will contribute a short story to a free collection. You all give it away free anywhere you can, including pirate sites. Even better if you can find a friendly "big name" to contribute something, even if you have to pay them to do so.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You kinda have to find your own particular average of "Nothing works" and "Everything works".

I'm a couple months into the long, slow build for The Summoning Fire, myself. And about to start the process with a new book soon.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
sportourer1
Writer
sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Have to try every trick there is and invent your own. Thousands of eBooks are published because it is free, few are sold because few people use the readers yet.
sportourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
As with anything in this world, there is no "one size fits all" solution. Everyone is different, every book is different, and every market is different. What works for one guy won't work for another. Heck, I've actually found that I've had to employ slightly different methods of marketing for everyone one of my books, even if they're in the same series!

So yeah, follow KCMay's list, and then spread out from there. His list is a great starter, but then you'll need to find out what works from there.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks, guys - and KC particularly.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
why not offer free copies to the owners of blogs about ebook readers and reading? put the name of your book in your sig and underneath it, link to its amazon and smashwords pages. are you on facebook or myspace as an author, making friends with other authors and keeping your blog alive?

you could also offer to give talks about writing at local bookstores and offer it on more ebookstore websites.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't know. Let me know if you find out.
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmay View Post
KC - unfortunately it looks like your second tip has gone AWOL.

My tip is:
  • Set some goals (eg how many sales/month). Make them fairly ambitious but not unfeasible. Give yourself some time to reach them but maybe no longer than 90 days.
  • Research how others have managed to sell their books
  • Make a plan including techniques which have worked for others
  • Execute the plan - even a small part of it everyday. No sales happen without action.
  • Reward yourself for action
  • Carefully review the results. Repeat only what works.

There aren't any short cuts - it is going to take time. Keep plugging away at it though - and providing your book is good - eventually you will hit upon a few things that work (sometimes together). Keep doing these. Think about how they could be tweaked or extended. eg if promoting your book on a blog works for you - find more blogs to promote it on. Stop doing things that don't work (even if they work for others).

Last edited by greencat; 11-29-2010 at 04:00 PM.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
Heh. Your post worked for me. I have just bought it. I haven't read SF for ages but for the price of a cup of coffee I am willing to give it a go My one suggestion, and I am a buyer and not an author, is to expand on the description of the story at Amazon. It is a bit sparse.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #14
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
KC - unfortunately it looks like your second tip has gone AWOL.
He mislinked it. The second page is here:

http://fantasyauthor.blogspot.com/20...ing-tip-2.html
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #15
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
One thing that helps is useful tags on your books, especially with Amazon. People may want to read your book but can't find it...tags help point them in the right direction.

Also, I'll echo what everyone else has said. Bottom line: It takes a lot of work and some things will work, some won't. It's just the nature of the beast. Just don't give up, keep getting the word out. The more people see your work, the more likely they will be to act on purchasing it. Think Pepsi and Coke...How many times have we seen the same commercials over and over and over...but they work.
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote