Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Kittybriton
Kittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: FBReader, Cool Reader and Aldiko (Android Tablet)
Question Text + Musical notation?

This is something I really need to figure out: can an ePub support a mix of text and musical notation?

The big musical notation programs currently available (Sibelius, Finale and Noteflight) offer export in Music XML. Does anyone know of a way to integrate Music XML with the markup language used in ePub to produce musical notation, i.e. for songbooks? or academic texts which combine text with musical examples?
Kittybriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Aerys
Connoisseur
Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.

Device: iPad 2 & Nexus 7
Sorry but it's impossible to incorporate MUSIC XML since it's not part of the epub specifications.

I think you can use the current workaround for "MATH ML" which is to capture the "notation" as images.
Aerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If you can save it as SVG, it should be possible.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It won't "reflow" though.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I don't know I'd want music to reflow if there were much of it. PDF might be the best vehicle for what Kitty wants to do. EPUB is great, but it is not suited to everything.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Kittybriton
Kittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchforkKittybriton can load mercury with a pitchfork

Perhaps somebody else will find my current workaround useful: where music has to be incorporated, present it in both abc notation (which is text-only) and QR code (to save copy-and-pasting). There are several online converters which will take the abc notation and hand back a beautiful page of dots.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fine for a tablet or phone, but not so useful for an ordinary e-ink reader.

Depends on how important it is to have a wide audience, I guess.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittybriton View Post
Perhaps somebody else will find my current workaround useful: where music has to be incorporated, present it in both abc notation (which is text-only) and QR code (to save copy-and-pasting). There are several online converters which will take the abc notation and hand back a beautiful page of dots.
I don't follow...you present music in an epub that someone using a reader would need to copy to some online website to make use of? If you you're going to require going online to make use of the music from an ebook, what's the point of having it in the ebook? Just post the music online in the first place.

And how does a QR code help with anything? Are they to take a picture of their ereader page with another device?

Last edited by ApK; 08-24-2012 at 09:06 AM.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Kittybriton

At the moment, I'm still pretty much feeling my way.

The thinking is that the QR code encapsulates an entire tune, together with any relevant background information like source, or collection notes. The human reader can define their own output format should they wish to obtain a paper copy. Not having any other devices to play with, I can only infer that since my Chi-Pad can grab a screen shot, there must be others similarly capable.

One of the advantages of the electronic book over paper is the ability to incorporate hyperlinks. The book is no longer limited to references which might require a search through several libraries; the internet makes the contents of huge numbers of libraries available. The problem with the internet (until someone fixes it) is link rot (vide my lament below concerning the fate of my blog).

Depending on how you look at it, the music isn't an essential part of the book I'm working on but it does add a dimension for musicians. The music I'm working with right now has been on my blog for the last three years, but the hosting company is changing direction on December 1st, eliminating blogs and related social media, and I'm loath to let the effort go to waste.

Or as one shining wit expressed it: "What frenzy hath of late possess'd the brain? Though few can write, yet fewer can refrain!"

Last edited by Kittybriton; 08-24-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: untangling of knitted thoughts (ever heard of wooly thinking?)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Not all readers have wifi. So if your eBook needs a reading app to be online, you may be sadly mistaken.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-25-2012 at 10:11 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
Kittybriton

Good point. It is too easy to forget, in my enthusiasm, that not everyone can ride the wave at the bleeding edge of new technology.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone

I trade WI-fi access for being able to use a book for several weeks on and off, without battery charging, because I only read old books anyway.

There are 4 computers in the house, so I don't need to be connected when I am reading.

Last edited by mrmikel; 08-26-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittybriton View Post
Good point. It is too easy to forget, in my enthusiasm, that not everyone can ride the wave at the bleeding edge of new technology.
You are not doing well to ingratiate yourself.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music, music xml