Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
norgrim
norgrim began at the beginning.

Device: bebook
nook

if i can buy a nook would i be able to use it in the uk and also how can buy it if you do not have usa billing address
norgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I would not recommend a Nook if you don't live in USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgrim View Post
if i can buy a nook would i be able to use it in the uk and also how can buy it if you do not have usa billing address
You should not post in the News section. Yours looks like is more like "Which one should i get" post. Anyway ...

The Nook, Nook Tablet and Nook Color are products that have been marketed for USA. They are not intended for Europe, Latin America or Canada, or any other country.

You need a valid USA Credit Card in order to register and start using the device. Also, while browsing or downloading books, your IP address is checked, so unless you use a proxy, you may also have some problems downloading certain content from B&N.

The other issue is the customer service. Because they are not intended to be sold on other countries, in case of software or hardware issues, you're stuck with the device. Unless you pay for the shipping and send it to USA, there is no way for B&N to give you support. Whatever you pay in shipping will be the same or almost the same of what you paid for it. So again, not a nice idea.

Can you use it there, is it possible? Yes it is. Workarounds: using a proxy and getting a credit card with a valid USA address. I also read here in Mobilereads that there are some online retailers that can act as "man in the middle" and buy it for you. They later send it of course.

If I were you, I would get a Sony or Kindle. But those are my 2 cents.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-31-2012 at 12:49 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

You need a valid USA Credit Card in order to register and start using the device.
No, this is not correct. All you need to register it is an e-mail address. It doesn't even have to be a real one. No problems at all!

To buy books from B&N you need to jump through some hoops, but the Nook is a great device that works very well with books from other sources. (For example library e-books works very well.)

The customer support arguments are valid though, so if that is important to you then Nook is not a great choice.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Or you can wait till spring a rumor is going around of a new nook coming out as well as them going international.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Barnes & Noble want to be a viable competitor with Amazon, in order to become that they will need to be more global, so it wouldn't be surprising to see them expand into the UK in the near future.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
No, this is not correct. All you need to register it is an e-mail address. It doesn't even have to be a real one. No problems at all!
Why you say is not correct? Maybe I need to be more specific?

To use it, without buying from B&N store, just register the device with a valid email. But to buy, you need a credit card and B&N will check your address as for copyright issues should not deliver certain content outside of USA.

Being there before. It asked for a valid USA credit card for me to buy from B&N online store.

Yes, I can register with any email and never buy from the store. But then... what's the point? ... is like buying and register a Kindle to side load content only.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Barnes & Noble want to be a viable competitor with Amazon, in order to become that they will need to be more global, so it wouldn't be surprising to see them expand into the UK in the near future.
That is actually correct.

Actually I think I read the weekend (don't remember where) that a new Nook is expecting this Spring and rumors are that will be an Internationally one.

The article did not confirm the type of device.

*** EDIT ***

Ops! ;-) ... wrote this without seeing dopedangel's post, which is basically the same
Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Yes, I can register with any email and never buy from the store. But then... what's the point? ... is like buying and register a Kindle to side load content only.
What the point is? The point is to have great reading device. The Nook is a good piece of hardware. In my opinion one of the best!

I sideload ALL content to my devices. 100%. So do everyone else of my friends here in Sweden. Even the few books I have bought from Sony I sideload to my Sony devices.

Yes, it would be the same as getting a Kindle and sideload everything, except it would be so much easier with the Nook since it's an ePub device and you don't have to jump through any hoops at all to sideload ePub material to a Nook. EPubs from other books sellers, PD books, library books...

Nothing at all strange to have a Nook and not use BN store!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
What the point is? The point is to have great reading device. The Nook is a good piece of hardware. In my opinion one of the best!
If the nook is one of the best eink devices or not, it is certainly something to discuss or debate, ultimately, a personal thing.

However, having a wireless device and good integration with an online bookstore it is critical and very important, in my opinion. Quick to browse titles, sync across devices or tablets, PC, etc.

Most of those devices and their features, including UI, were customized for an in-store or online experience. So you are not getting the features or maximizing the tool's power if 100% of your content is being side loaded.

I can side load on my Kindle too, but majority of my books come from Amazon. When your collection gets bigger and bigger, such manual sync starts to being a big of a problem. Not without mention the single point of failure that having all your books on your local PC is.

I agree, the point is having a good reading device, but with a good customer support (if hardware fails) and a nice online bookstore. Not sure how we can get all those with a device that is not supported out of USA. But ... I guess that's how I visualize it; looks is different for you.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-31-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
What's wrong with that?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Nothing is inherently wrong with that, but it is less convenient.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
What's wrong with that?
I did not say is wrong or not doable.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Obviously we don't all have the same needs, wishes or priorities.

To own books has never been a priority to me (mum started taking me to the library as soon as I started to read, age 4, 50 years ago). My priority is to be able to read the books. I don't buy many books. Of the 150 or so I read last year (I don't know how many, just estimating) I borrowed well over 100 of them from libraries, a dozen or so were freebies and maybe a handful were purchased.

For this kind of use a Nook (or a Sony or a Kobo or <insert brand>...) works very well. I like the UI of the Nook, others may disagree and prefer something else.

I don't know what kind of user the OP is and what his/her priorities are so it's hard to say what device would be best. I agree that maybe a Nook isn't the best choice unless you have someone in USA who can help you, but to not be able to buy books directly from the device is something that many of us couldn't care less about!

I'm guessing (just guessing) that the OP might be tempted by the good price of Nooks ($79 for a refurb), and for us over here in Europe that is such an unbelievable price for a good device. But maybe it's possible to get a good price on a Sony T1 in UK as well? It's certainly less expensive that the x50 series was, and might even be available locally. Or a Kobo?