Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2018, 03:25 AM   #1
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Forma sleepcover

Has anyone bought the official one? Wondering how the front flap holds up when it’s flat against the back. Are the sections that fold held firmly I. A flat panel or do they fall down?

Personally I won’t use it as a stand as I always hold my ereader when reading so I’m not interested in how it functions as a stand just as a case.

Any other thoughts on it are welcome, like how much bulk or weight does it add, how good is the sleepcover aspect, does it bypass the need to swipe up in 4.11.11911, etc
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Has anyone bought the official one? Wondering how the front flap holds up when it’s flat against the back. Are the sections that fold held firmly I. A flat panel or do they fall down?

Personally I won’t use it as a stand as I always hold my ereader when reading so I’m not interested in how it functions as a stand just as a case.

Any other thoughts on it are welcome, like how much bulk or weight does it add, how good is the sleepcover aspect, does it bypass the need to swipe up in 4.11.11911, etc
this may help https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=311573&page=9 post 126, it doesn't mention if the cover is the official one or not but i believe it is.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 10-27-2018 at 03:29 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
4.11.11911 does not bypass the need to swipe when using a sleep cover but a query to Kobo suggests that is going to be fixed. Exactly when to expect a fix was not mentioned.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:

I can't find anything that documents the weight of the cover on its own but per the Indigo web site the shipping weight for the cover is .37lbs (168g), so I would guess the cover is maybe 2/3 of that weight, something around 100+g so about half of the weight of the Forma itself. Someone who owns the cover and has a decent scale to weight it on needs to check it and let us know.

I checked the covers out at Indigo earlier this evening and it does look and feel nice, but $60 CAD for a cover just seems like too much, no hurry for me anyway as I am still waiting on my replacement device to ship from Kobo.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:08 PM   #5
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
For anyone interested, @Kobo tweeted a short demo video Oct 26 -- "How-to use the versatile Kobo Forma SleepCover 101."

https://twitter.com/kobo/status/1055899667391791105

Last edited by k9reeder; 10-27-2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: linky
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
For anyone interested, @Kobo tweeted a short demo video Oct 26 -- "How-to use the versatile Kobo Forma SleepCover 101."

https://twitter.com/kobo/status/1055899667391791105
It was this video that made me wonder how stiff the front flap is.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:47 PM   #7
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:

Official cover front flap holds completely flat against the back, no falling down.
On 4.11.11911 if you close cover and then open it, there is no need to swipe. The need to swipe to unlock is only if you put Forma to sleep by pressing the button on the side. Only then you get swipe to unlock.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:19 AM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Official cover front flap holds completely flat against the back, no falling down.

On 4.11.11911 if you close cover and then open it, there is no need to swipe. The need to swipe to unlock is only if you put Forma to sleep by pressing the button on the side. Only then you get swipe to unlock.

Thanks for confirming! Does that behaviour change if detection of sleep cover is switched off in settings? I.e. is there a way to disable the swipe requirement without using a sleep cover?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #9
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Thanks for confirming! Does that behaviour change if detection of sleep cover is switched off in settings? I.e. is there a way to disable the swipe requirement without using a sleep cover?
No, if sleep cover is switched off and Forma sleeps, then you have to press power button to wake it up and then you get swipe to unlock.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
No, if sleep cover is switched off and Forma sleeps, then you have to press power button to wake it up and then you get swipe to unlock.

Hmmm, how annoying. Thanks!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Do you know where the magic magnetic trigger point is to enable/disable sleep mode?

I don't have the Forma official cover. For previous Kobos, I've always managed to cobble together a DIY sleepcover by using an old cover with a magnet attached in just the right spot, until the cheaper 3rd-party covers arrive.

I've waved around my tried and trusty magnet over the usual places with the Forma but no response ... and, yes, I did enable the Sleepcover option in Settings.

I can tell there is a magnet under the 'kobo' logo, below the bottom button, and a symmetrically placed one above the top button, but these don't appear to trigger sleep. Perhaps these are just there to secure the cover edge flap over the buttons???
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:09 AM   #12
Lady Stardust
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Do you know where the magic magnetic trigger point is to enable/disable sleep mode?

I don't have the Forma official cover. For previous Kobos, I've always managed to cobble together a DIY sleepcover by using an old cover with a magnet attached in just the right spot, until the cheaper 3rd-party covers arrive.

I've waved around my tried and trusty magnet over the usual places with the Forma but no response ... and, yes, I did enable the Sleepcover option in Settings.

I can tell there is a magnet under the 'kobo' logo, below the bottom button, and a symmetrically placed one above the top button, but these don't appear to trigger sleep. Perhaps these are just there to secure the cover edge flap over the buttons???
I have no idea, but when I try closing the cover only by that main triangle (holding the other flaps - smaller triangles folded and not touching the screen), Kobo still sleeps and wakes. So maybe somewhere in the middle in the biggest triangle?