Notices

Old 10-26-2018, 03:38 AM   #1
iris205
Enthusiast
iris205 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Clara HD does not open books in the Calibre-Content server

Hi,
I tried to transfer books through Content Server, Clara sees the server can download it but it does not save or let me open it anymore. Can I transfer books by this method?
iris205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:12 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Just tried here with calibre 3.33.1 and firmware 4.11.11911 on my Clara HD. I was able to download to epubs and open them with no problems. There shouldn't be any issues with any recent firmware release. I think I've tried the download with all of them.

What is actually happening? Does the link respond? Do you get a prompt? The download progress? Or something else?

Last edited by davidfor; 10-26-2018 at 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2018, 05:34 AM   #3
iris205
Enthusiast

I have the Caliber last version and yesterday when we started the ereader was updated to the latest version. I opened the page, I chose the book and I downloaded it after it, nothing happened, it did not open it and it did not show me that it saved it somewhere.
Before that, I changed the SD to 64, I copied it to ~ 1,000 books, but when the upgrade started, it stuck at 8% and only 890 books recognize me, be it from that? to reset it and try again?
How should I put ~ 3000 books on it, can you tell me the exact steps?

Last edited by iris205; 10-26-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:27 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris205 View Post
I have the Caliber last version and yesterday when we started the ereader was updated to the latest version.
As a rule, it is much better to be explicit about the versions. A very frequent posting pattern here is "I have the latest version" followed by, "Oh, there was an update available". And due to the way that Kobo distribute firmware, the "latest version" isn't the same for everyone.
Quote:
I opened the page, I chose the book and I downloaded it after it, nothing happened, it did not open it and it did not show me that it saved it somewhere.
There has been a bug where if you tap the screen while the progress dialog is shown, it will disappear. After that, the book does get downloaded, but you don't get notified. In this case, will be added to the library.

In case the download did fail, you can check the logs in calibre to see what it thinks happened.
Quote:
Before that, I changed the SD to 64, I copied it to ~ 1,000 books, but when the upgrade started, it stuck at 8% and only 890 books recognize me, be it from that? to reset it and try again?
How should I put ~ 3000 books on it, can you tell me the exact steps?
The importing getting stuck and not importing all the books usually means there is a problem in one of the books. When the a book cannot be imported, the process stops. Any books added before it will be there, but the rest won't be. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to see which book is the problem. You need to remove all the books that haven't been imported and add them again in smaller batches until you find the problem book.

You should be able to put 3000 books on the device and let it import. With recent firmware, this will take less than an hour. I usually put them on in smaller batches, but, I have been doing some experimenting recently, and have added books in batches between 4000 and 10000 books with no problems.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
iris205
Enthusiast

Thanks for clarifications and apologize for incomplete details, you are right.
I'll try to reset the device and see what firmware has been upgraded, then I'll try to get a single book with Calibre Content server and I'll tell you the result.
If everything is ok, so I will try to import all the books, but it seems from what I read here that the best method is to bring the ebooks to Calibre and with the help of KoboUtilities to import them directly into the ereader.
I can tell you that the same books I imported without problems on a Nook GlowLight (it also shows me the file structure on the SD, which Clara does not do)
Advert
Old 10-26-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris205 View Post
Thanks for clarifications and apologize for incomplete details, you are right.
I'll try to reset the device and see what firmware has been upgraded,
That is probably overkill, but might be the simplest thing.

You can probably fix the problems by signing out of the Kobo account and then back in. But, even that is only going to help if there is a problem with the database. You are better to remove the books that haven't been imported before this, but, as I said, they can be hard to find.
Quote:
then I'll try to get a single book with Calibre Content server and I'll tell you the result.
If everything is ok, so I will try to import all the books, but it seems from what I read here that the best method is to bring the ebooks to Calibre and with the help of KoboUtilities to import them directly into the ereader.
The Kobo Utilities plugin has nothing to do with sending books to the device. They have functions to change metadata and other things for the books already on the device.

But, personally, I think using calibre is the best way to get books on the device. Just connect and send the books.
Quote:
I can tell you that the same books I imported without problems on a Nook GlowLight (it also shows me the file structure on the SD, which Clara does not do)
Which only demonstrates that the two devices work very differently. It might mean that Nook has better error handling than Kobo, or that the Nook doesn't look at the same things that the Kobo does. I don't know anything about Nooks, so can't comment more that that.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
iris205
Enthusiast

Calibre v3.33.1
Kobo Clara HD 4.10.11655
The first time I tried signing out of the Kobo account but stuck again at 19% when importing books. Then I reset it and only then did my import on wifi work.
Can you recommend me a software to validate group epub format books? I tried with EPubMetadataEditor but it's going hard.