Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2018, 03:19 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Change the font you are using on the device. Use anything other than the two kobo fonts near the bottom of the font list. Or, if you are side loading a font, make sure you have done it properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:04 AM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lori87 View Post
Okay I just tried caliber, I really dont know what you guys are talking about, the .epub just removes ALL formatting. THere is no bold text or large text, it's all one size.
Have you tried converting .mobi to AZW3 and then to ePub? I think that helps to retain better formatting.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 06:13 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've uploaded a 1 page sample for everyone. This epub on my kobo is all the same seize, no large text, no bold, just the same all round. The .mobi is fine. If you open the files in sumatra on Windows, you'll get an idea of how it works.

Links here
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6bda3j

The attached screenshots are taken from my Glo HD. As with my previous example, there are differences, but, not really that much. I can see multiple font size, italics. There doesn't appear to be any bold text. The main differences is in line spacing and the indentation for quotes. As I stated a bit quickly above, some of this could be the font you are using. The two Kobo fonts at the bottom of the list do not work well with epubs. When you use them with epubs, you don't get bold or italic text. Using any of the other fonts should work. And if you are adding your own font, then you need to do this correctly. Again, a common error when adding fonts will mean no italics or bold text.

And I opened them in the calibre viewer. Again, there are difference, but not as much as you have described.

I don't have Sumatra installed, and am not likely to at this point. I'm not sure if you are saying the Sumatra displays both versions of the book the same or not. But, if it isn't showing the correct layout of the epub, then either it is a bad epub viewer, or you have changed options so that it ignores the CSS.

Also, when I first looked at these two files, I assumed the epub version was converted using calibre from the mobi. This was because of some comments above, and the post in the calibre forum. I was surprised by a couple of the differences (such as the colours). But, when I looked inside the epub, I realised that it was not the result of a conversion. It is a separate version and some of the difference are in the coding.

As the sample epub works here, a possibility is that the full epub has an error that breaks things. If it does have a stylesheet, then an error in the stylesheet can mean the stylesheet is ignored. And depending on exactly what is in that stylesheet, then what you describe could be what you see. Based on the code in the sample, I don't think this is the case, but it could explain the problems described.

Edit:

The last paragraph is the answer. I have just left the rest as it explains other things that can be seen in the samples you posted.

I looked at the samples linked to above assuming they were representative of the full book. But, you sent me links to the full books. When I looked at the epub version, it bore absolutely no relationship to the sample posted. The sample has no stylesheet and each tag has a style. The full book uses a stylesheet and each tag has a class.

The problem is that there are a lot of errors in the book. The fonts are invalid and the stylesheet has errors. Because of this, the stylesheet will be ignored and everything is styled using whatever defaults the device uses. If you fix the book, it will work. Open the epub in the calibre editor, run the error check and fix them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample-epub.png
Views:	158
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	167124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample-mobi.png
Views:	155
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	167125  

Last edited by davidfor; 10-22-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #19
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
How come the dictionary doesn't work on .mobi files?

Sorry, wrong thread. Stupid Tapatalk. Delete please.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #20
lori87
Connoisseur
lori87 doesn't litterlori87 doesn't litter

Device: kobo
Thank you davidfor I really appreciate it!

The reason the sample worked I think is because I couldn't figure out how to extract a page from an .epub so I used a program called Sigil and deleted everything but a single page of text I copied.

As for correcting the entire book in caliber, do you have a link or know where to look to run the "error check" you're referring to? I looked everywhere online and in the app, I must be missing it.
lori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The reason the sample worked I think is because I couldn't figure out how to extract a page from an .epub so I used a program called Sigil and deleted everything but a single page of text I copied.
If that's what you did, it is very strange as well. I haven't used Sigil for a while, but the code in the sample didn't look anything like what I remember Sigil producing.
Quote:
As for correcting the entire book in caliber, do you have a link or know where to look to run the "error check" you're referring to? I looked everywhere online and in the app, I must be missing it.
Open the book in the calibre editor. On the toolbar there should a button that looks l like a bug. Press that to start the error check. If the button isn't there (you can configure the toolbar), it will be in one of the menus. In the menu, it is labelled as "Check book" or something like that.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:00 PM   #22
lori87
Connoisseur
lori87 doesn't litterlori87 doesn't litter

Device: kobo
I love you davidfor

Thank you SO much for your help. It's working now.
lori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:00 AM   #23
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
I love you davidfor
I think we all do!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote