Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
moortjekras
moortjekras began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Connection Kobo to new Macbook Pro

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new MacBook Pro which doesn't have any USB ports anymore, so you would have to use a connecting piece. However, I can't seem to be able to connect my Kobo to my laptop anymore. It doesn't show on the desktop, nor via the Kobo app, I have tried all ports on the connecting piece and different cables, but none of it seems to work.
Do you have any other ideas?

Many thanks!
moortjekras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You need a USB-C to microUSB cable.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13014
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130144.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	157701  

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-03-2017 at 09:58 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by moortjekras View Post
Hi everyone,

I just bought a new MacBook Pro which doesn't have any USB ports anymore, so you would have to use a connecting piece. However, I can't seem to be able to connect my Kobo to my laptop anymore. It doesn't show on the desktop, nor via the Kobo app, I have tried all ports on the connecting piece and different cables, but none of it seems to work.
Do you have any other ideas?

Many thanks!
If you were able to connect Kobo and now you are not, try restarting Mac. There seems to be some issue between Mac and Kobo (my Aura One every now and then stops being recognised by Calibre or Mac) and restarting Mac usually solves it.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
bhyde
bhyde is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
I encountered this problem on my new Macbook Pro (late 2017 model). Turned out it was because I happened to grab a micro usb cable which, it seems, only supported charging. Worked fine as soon as switched to a different one.

In my case the USB cable plugs into a hub with lots of connectors on it, and that has short Thunderbolt 3 cable that connects to the Mac.

Last edited by bhyde; 07-09-2018 at 04:58 PM.
bhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:56 AM   #5
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I have this problem too, with all sorts of cables on varying ports, with an H2O Ed.2 on the latest firmware.
Is there any reliable fix for this other than rebooting and hoping that it will accept the port this time? I am also especially annoyed by the fact that it won’t go through my USB c hub. Kobos are literally the only devices ever I‘ve experienced these types of problems with...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
PhyrePhox
Enthusiast
PhyrePhox began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2
I often have trouble syncing my H2O Ed. 2 and the new Forma to my MacBook Pro 2012. Troubleshooting led me to conclude that the Kobo works consistently when connected to a USB 2.0 port on the Mac. However, the 2012 and later Macs don't have a USB 2.0 port, only USB 3.0. So, I hook up a cheap (whatever I have laying around, even dollar-store) USB 2.0 hub to the MacBook Pro, then the Kobo to the hub using any data-capable USB A to USB micro cable.
PhyrePhox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrePhox View Post
I often have trouble syncing my H2O Ed. 2 and the new Forma to my MacBook Pro 2012. Troubleshooting led me to conclude that the Kobo works consistently when connected to a USB 2.0 port on the Mac. However, the 2012 and later Macs don't have a USB 2.0 port, only USB 3.0. So, I hook up a cheap (whatever I have laying around, even dollar-store) USB 2.0 hub to the MacBook Pro, then the Kobo to the hub using any data-capable USB A to USB micro cable.
It appears that Kobos sometimes need a little more power from the USB port than do most devices. I'm guessing your USB hub is powered?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
That seems to be the same issue as [this](https://github.com/kobolabs/Kobo-Reader/issues/70).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #9
PhyrePhox
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It appears that Kobos sometimes need a little more power from the USB port than do most devices. I'm guessing your USB hub is powered?
No. That was the first thing I thought as well. But it works consistently with a non-powered USB 2.0 hub.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
That seems to be the same issue as [this](https://github.com/kobolabs/Kobo-Reader/issues/70).
I use Linux but haven't had any trouble connecting to my Kobos (older ones). Maybe this is an issue with newer generation Kobos?
Old 10-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrePhox View Post
No. That was the first thing I thought as well. But it works consistently with a non-powered USB 2.0 hub.
Maybe it's a timing issue? Maybe the USB 3.0 "speaks" too fast for the Kobo? (Obviously I'm just guessing.)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #12
PhyrePhox
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros
I use Linux but haven't had any trouble connecting to my Kobos (older ones). Maybe this is an issue with newer generation Kobos?
I have had this with two newer Kobos on Mac. I've not tried it on any other platforms as I have a huge Calibre library set up on the Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros
Maybe it's a timing issue? Maybe the USB 3.0 "speaks" too fast for the Kobo? (Obviously I'm just guessing.)
I think that may very well be the problem, either with the USB device driver on the Mac side or the USB hardware on the device side. I really struggled with it randomly disconnecting during sync or simply not connecting at all until I tried this.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #13
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
I have a Clara and a 2017 iMac, and the only issue I have ever noticed is sometimes when so plug the Clara in to a cable already in the USB port it isn’t recognized. The fix is to unplug the USB cable at the Mac, and plug it in again. Or, if it’s possible to plug the kobo into a cable and then plug it into the Mac. It is odd that it isn’t instantly recognized, but not a deal breaker.
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #14
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Thanks for your feedback. I have been wondering for a long time why Kobo has this issue that every other manufacturer of USB connected devices seems to have resolved. It seems they simply cannot be bothered (bit of a shame since they also have a very sensitive database architecture)...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
How is the database architecture sensetive?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote