Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
What exactly is a kepub?

I suspect this thread will quickly go over my novice-level knowledge, but:

I more or less understand that Kobo renders ePub/kepub with two different rendering engines (ADE/Nickle) which is why kepubs have features ePubs don't.

Kepubs appear to be ePubs with a bunch of different Kobo spans in them. I know I can open and edit kepubs with Sigil. So what do those spans do that an ePub can't do? Is there not a way for Kobo to have their engine just handle ePubs with kepub features rather than creating a new format? The thing I most rely on kepubs for (pages left in chapter rather than pages left in book) can be handled on the Nook using regular ePub files. I suspect most other features could also be handled by tweaking the engine rather than requiring a new format.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The Kepub rendering engine does not include the Adobe SDK. Even if they tweaked the engine so it can figure out position without the spans, the one thing it can't do is open Adobe DRM books. (Twill be good ridance as far as I'm concerned.. I'm honestly surprised Kobo is still paying Adobe their ridiculous fees for book servers...
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The Kepub rendering engine does not include the Adobe SDK. Even if they tweaked the engine so it can figure out position without the spans, the one thing it can't do is open Adobe DRM books. (Twill be good ridance as far as I'm concerned.. I'm honestly surprised Kobo is still paying Adobe their ridiculous fees for book servers...
But since Adobe is still included on all Kobo readers, for ePub books, wouldn't it have made since to incorporate that in the first place?

Nooks read ePub and features available only in kepub on Kobo are available on the Nook. I guess I'm wondering if they should have just included the Adobe stuff in Nickle and used a single engine for a single format with all the bells and whistles available.

I freely admit I may be looking at this the wrong way, due to lack of knowledge. I know just enough to be dangerous.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Part of the reason for kepub originally was support for vertical (vs left to right) languages (i.e. Japanese which was a key market for Kobo). This is stretching beyond my detailed knowledge, but roughly speaking the epub 2 standard doesn't support that and is what the adobe renderer included is based on. Kepub is close the epub 3 standard instead and it allows vertical languages. Since they were going to have to make their own renderer anyway, they probably figured (at least in part) that it was easier to put everything they wanted into it rather than split development between the 2 different renderers.
And I'm in the same boat that I know just enough to be dangerous
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:00 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
and having their own not-quite-epub format made the books in their store harder to pirate ( they thought), and made it more likely that readers would buy kobo readers to read them on.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:11 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I would also mention using the ACCESS renderer makes reading an epub3 fixed layout book possible. Admittedly, I only own 4 FLO epubs but one friend of mine now owns about 30 for his 4 and 6 year old munchkins.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:12 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
and having their own not-quite-epub format made the books in their store harder to pirate ( they thought), and made it more likely that readers would buy kobo readers to read them on.
Except that they have a link to the download the epub version for almost every book in their library. That means if you can get the book to a device, you can also get the epub from the store and pirate it that way. And you don't need a Kobo device or app to read the book. Kobo don't push this as much as they did, but it is still there.

One of the advantages of their own format and provisioning system is that they will avoid the Adobe licence fee for any books that are downloaded directly to the device. And still offer DRM protection (for what it is worth).
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:14 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And still offer DRM protection (for what it is worth).
Most DRM reminds me of how the local police department refers to key in knob locks as friendship locks -- the only people they keep out are your friends.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #9
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
DNSB: Awesome analogy! Love it! :-D
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote