Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-12-2023, 10:59 AM   #1
emanueol
Enthusiast
emanueol doesn't litteremanueol doesn't litter

Device: Huawei Mediapad M5 8" and 10", Boox Onyx Max, Amazon Fire 8HD
to sync "Read" and "Date Read" custom fields is connect as Wireless device only way ?

So today based on following post, I managed to setup and enable 2 customer fields:
--Can I synchronize CC's Read and Date Read information with calibre?
https://calibre332.rssing.com/chan-6...article20.html

Heres steps I took:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--WINDOWS CALIBER
1. windows CALIBER APP > add new column for Flag Read:
calibre > preference > Add your own columns > [+] > [Quick Create: Yes/No]
lookupname: yesno <-- important one
column heading: Yes/No
column type: Yes/No

2. windows CALIBER APP > add new column for Date Read:
calibre > preference > Add your own columns > [+] > [Quick Create: Yes/No]
lookupname: dateread <-- important one
column heading: DateRead
column type: Date

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--DEVICES
3. windows CALIBER APP > Connect/Share > Start wireless device connection
4. android CALIBER COMPANION APP > Connect as wireless device
(wait for some sync to hapen)

5. android CALIBER COMPANION APP > disconnect > settings > Marking Books Read > Sync column to Read = Yes/No (#yesno) > [OK]
6. android CALIBER COMPANION APP > disconnect > settings > Marking Books Read > Sync column to Date Read= DateRead (#dateread) > [OK]

But then I wondered how android CC (Caliber Companion) and Caliber windows application would syncup in practice.
I would imagine after creating the 2 fields "Read" and "Date Read" in Caliber Windows application + connect android CC as Wireless Device to Caliber Windows with connect/share Wireless mode activated which caused android device CC to send my "Read" and "Date Read" fields to cloud library (i configured my Caliber library to be a Dropbox folder), THAT from now on no more connect as Wireless Device would be needed , I was expecting that android CC and windows Caliber application would sync via cloud library where metadata of these custom 2 firlds I setup would be present.. but.. they didn't synced, i was expecting Android CC app to push to my dripbxo library all my read flags so then when starting Caliber windows application would then pull all reads in cloud library but it didn't.
So then i enabled connect/share Witeless mode in Caliber windows application + in android CC app connected as Wireless Device and then windows Caliber application received all "Read" and "Date read" fields from my android device.

--TO SYNCUP FLAG READ/DATE READ FROM DEVICES BACK TO WINDOWS CALIBER -- CONNECT AS WIRELESS DEVICE
- windows CALIBER APP > Connect/Share > Start wireless device connection
- android CALIBER COMPANION APP > Connect as wireless device

So would like to ask if is this really needed to syncup both firlds "Read" and "Date Read" across my devices ?
Or can this by synced normally as books are via caliber library ? without needing to use Wireless Device in both Windows application and android app ?

Thanks 👍
emanueol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 01:03 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC syncs only via the wireless device. No other connection type has "write" capability.

Calibre's content server and built-in reader offer syncing and the ability to change metadata.

Putting a calibre library in Dropbox is asking for trouble. See this calibre FAQ entry.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
caliber companion, sync read, wireless device