Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
epub validation error

I am very confused. I ran an epub I created in Sigil through a epub validation and I got the following errors:

ERROR: 9780982933053.epub/OEBPS/Text/titlepage.xhtml(19): bad value for attribute "preserveAspectRatio"
ERROR: 9780982933053.epub/OEBPS/Text/index_split_001.xhtml(31): 'OEBPS/Text/': referenced resource missing in the package
ERROR: 9780982933053.epub/OEBPS/Text/index_split_004.xhtml(50): 'OEBPS/Text/': referenced resource missing in the package
ERROR: 9780982933053.epub/OEBPS/Text/index_split_004.xhtml(177): 'OEBPS/Text/': referenced resource missing in the package
ERROR: 9780982933053.epub/OEBPS/Text/index_split_005.xhtml(156): 'OEBPS/Text/': referenced resource missing in the package

I am not sure exactly what these errors mean and how to fix them. Help! I looked at the code but I was not seeing anything popping out at me.

Suggestions and ideas?

Thanks!

Amy

Last edited by sassanik; 09-23-2010 at 10:58 PM.
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Regarding the first issue, if you are using epubcheck and have preserveaspectratio set to "none", it's just a bug in the validator.

Issue 63, here.

Note that epubcheck, if that's what you're using, is only semi-reliable.

Regarding the others, what code do you actually have on those lines?

Last edited by DTM; 09-24-2010 at 08:58 AM.
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I am very confused. I ran an epub I created in Sigil through a epub validation and I got the following errors:

ERROR: 9780982933053.epub/OEBPS/Text/titlepage.xhtml(19): bad value for attribute "preserveAspectRatio"
ERROR: 9780982933053.epub/OEBPS/Text/index_split_001.xhtml(31): 'OEBPS/Text/': referenced resource missing in the package
ERROR: 9780982933053.epub/OEBPS/Text/index_split_004.xhtml(50): 'OEBPS/Text/': referenced resource missing in the package
ERROR: 9780982933053.epub/OEBPS/Text/index_split_004.xhtml(177): 'OEBPS/Text/': referenced resource missing in the package
ERROR: 9780982933053.epub/OEBPS/Text/index_split_005.xhtml(156): 'OEBPS/Text/': referenced resource missing in the package

I am not sure exactly what these errors mean and how to fix them. Help! I looked at the code but I was not seeing anything popping out at me.

Suggestions and ideas?

Thanks!

Amy
DTM answered the first (and rest pretty well)
a WAG is you call for an image (scene break graphic ?) at those lines and it does not exist in the booklist pane. Look at the file in CV mode close to those lines and see what (filename) is called for, then plan what to do to correct the omission
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

aspect ratio error

Argh! Overdrive rejected that file because of the preserve aspect validation error.

What is different value that I can use? Or can I remove the aspect ratio entirely?

ERROR: 9780982933084.epub/OEBPS/Text/index_split_001.xhtml(27): 'OEBPS/Text/': referenced resource missing in the package

does the (27) mean that is the line that the problem is on?

Thanks!

Amy
Old 09-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Argh! Overdrive rejected that file because of the preserve aspect validation error.

What is different value that I can use? Or can I remove the aspect ratio entirely?

ERROR: 9780982933084.epub/OEBPS/Text/index_split_001.xhtml(27): 'OEBPS/Text/': referenced resource missing in the package

does the (27) mean that is the line that the problem is on?

Thanks!

Amy
Close by
It could be the line +/- 1

OR (on other types of errors)
it could be the ENDING line that finally trips the error because something expected did not happen and whatever is next precludes proper closure.
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
sassanik
Guru

Okay so I think I figured out the problem, the line that is throwing the error has a </div> on it, it is closing a external link ie:

<div class="s6">
<p class="calibre3"><span class="none7">For this and other exciting titles see our website at:</span> <a class="calibre5" href=""><span class="none10">www.estarbooks.com</span></a></p>
</div>

So I guess the error makes more sense to me now... but uhh how do I fix it?

Last edited by sassanik; 09-24-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: figured something out
Old 09-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Okay so I think I figured out the problem, the line that is throwing the error has a </div> on it, it is closing a external link ie:

<div class="s6">
<p class="calibre3"><span class="none7">For this and other exciting titles see our website at:</span> <a class="calibre5" href=""><span class="none10">www.estarbooks.com</span></a></p>
</div>

So I guess the error makes more sense to me now... but uhh how do I fix it?
The </div> is fine.
It is the EXTERNAL Anchor to the estarbooks. it is howling about (possibly in error).
Baen uses the following
Code:

<div class="calibre12">
    <span class="bold">For more great books visit<br class="calibre2" />
    <br class="calibre2" />
    <a href="http://www.webscription.net">http://www.webscription.net/</a></span>
  </div>
Note: no <p> tag
Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
<a class="calibre5" href="">
You're missing the reference! You need:

<a class="calibre5" href="www.estarbooks.com">
Old 09-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"

While the epubcheck bug is annoying, there's not really much point in using a value of "none", I've no idea why calibre started using that.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post

Duoh! missed that
Old 09-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
sassanik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post

Randomly enough you have to add in the http:// part, still throws a validation error without that part.

Thank you guys so much for the help! I really do appreciate it, I was about ready to pull out my hair trying to figure this out.

Amy
Old 09-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank

You're welcome! Glad I could help!

Quote:
Randomly enough you have to add in the http:// part, still throws a validation error without that part.
I guess that doesn't really surprise me. Technically, you should always do that, even for links on a website. But every browser will assume http:// if you don't specify otherwise, so you can get away without it. On the other hand, it's not so obvious that an ebook reader would assume that, so I suppose it really should be there.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
sassanik
Guru

new and different error

Okay so I got a new and different error this time.

ERROR: 9781612100036.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(14): unfinished element

I am not sure how to edit the content.opf?

Suggestions and ideas?

Thanks!
Amy
Old 09-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank

Sigil creates that file, and you don't edit it directly. However, here is a guess: If you fail to enter a title and author in the metadata editor, Sigil won't insert a default value, and the resulting book will fail Epubcheck with that error message. (See Sigil issue #453.)

Try entering the Author and Title to see what happens.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Language, too.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote