Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Pipes
Pipes began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Delays in notetaking & highlighting

I bought the Sony Daily Edition because it seemed more "PDF" friendly, and I liked the idea of highlighting as I read. I currently have 60 books (mostly PDFs) and over 700 notes on my reader (the notes are mostly highlighted sections about 2-3 sentences long). After reading and highlighting the first few books/pdfs, I noticed a lag of several seconds while the reader "processed" the note. This lag has gotten progressively longer, forcing me to become increasingly selective with highlighting. It now takes about 3-4 minutes for each note to process!

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a solution or some sort of work-around (besides highlighting using Reader Library)? I chose the Daily Edition over the KindleDX because this Sony model was supposedly better able to handle academic-type reading (PDF manipulation, highlighting). The disruptive time delay is pretty much a show-stopper for me if I can't figure out how to minimize it.

Thanks.
Pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Yes, I have the same problem, but with the PRS900.

The more notes you have, the slower notetaking/highlighting becomes.

I have resorted to not keeping many documents on the device. I read a PDF, annotate it, download it to my laptop through SONY's software (so I can view the annotations on my laptop) and delete it from the device.

That way, I never have more than a couple of PDFs and 100-200 notes on the device, and the speed is decent.

Otherwise, it becomes completely unmanageable.

Another alternative I have used is to store the annotated PDFs on an SD card, instead of using my PC. But then you have to take the card out of the reader to 'regain speed'. And when you put it back in it takes hours to re-sync. So I prefer the PC solution.

Note that, if you use SONY's software, you can always move the annotated document back to the PRS.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Same problem here with the 600. I love the touch screen and like the way you can save the notes to a word file which is much nicer than Kindle note files. However, the Kindle software across devices is more efficient. No perfect reader it seems.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
Pipes
Pipes began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Thanks for the posts. I wonder if the Kindle or the iPad has the same problem (long delays in "processing" due to having lots of notes).
Pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Does anybody know if this lag problem is present in the newer models (PRS-650, for example)?
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is in the PRS950.

It seems it still stores notes and annotations in the same way. So you still have to store annotations using the Reader Library software -- if you keep all of them on the device, it slows to a crawl.

Same thing for having a large number of papers. I mean, why support external memory support when even 1 GB worth of stuff will slow the device to a crawl?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Can you clarify?

Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying that if you make notes or highlight passages in books on the Sony, then if you add too many, it takes minutes to make the note before you can continue reading?

Sorry, I am tired and must be reading this wrong. Can you clarify please?
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Not on the Kindle 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipes View Post
Thanks for the posts. I wonder if the Kindle or the iPad has the same problem (long delays in "processing" due to having lots of notes).
I have probably 400 - 500 highlighted sections ranging from a couple of sentances to complete pages on about 20 books, and no slow down on the K3.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #9
Prince Hal
Zealot

What's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
It is in the PRS950.

It seems it still stores notes and annotations in the same way. So you still have to store annotations using the Reader Library software -- if you keep all of them on the device, it slows to a crawl.

Same thing for having a large number of papers. I mean, why support external memory support when even 1 GB worth of stuff will slow the device to a crawl?
Then what is the point of having a reader whose orientation is to take notes and highlights, if it slows to a crawl with relatively so few? Say it isn't so.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:43 AM   #10
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Actually, I haven't yet experienced this lag. I have about 800 notes on my Reader (PRS-600) at the moment. Most of my notes are highlights and keyboard-input (not drawing-input). Adding a highlight or notes with the on-screen keyboard is usually relatively fast; occasionally there will be a delay of a few seconds. I seldom use the "draw" type of annotation, but when I do have only sometimes noticed a small delay. I do however notice a very lengthy delay whenever I use the "eraser" function in the annotation screen.

Also possibly relevant is that I hardly have any PDFs. Almost everything is in EPUB or RTF. And in total, I only have 44 books on my Reader, and the most heavily highlighted ones are journal article-length, not book-length. Lastly, I do not use the Sony software on my computer. So, maybe one of these many variables is why I've not experienced a lag.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I proofread manuscripts on my 350 so I have hundreds of highlights and annotations on it. Haven't noticed a slowdown.

You might try doing a soft reset. It's possible there is a random OS thread running that's slowing things down.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
You might try doing a soft reset. It's possible there is a random OS thread running that's slowing things down.
Best help reply ever
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying that if you make notes or highlight passages in books on the Sony, then if you add too many, it takes minutes to make the note before you can continue reading?

Sorry, I am tired and must be reading this wrong. Can you clarify please?
That's exactly what I am saying. Once you finish writing a note, you save it by either closing the annotation window or turning page. Once you start having a large number of notes, this 'save' freezes your device.

With 200 or so annotated PDFs, about a full minute.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #14
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I proofread manuscripts on my 350 so I have hundreds of highlights and annotations on it. Haven't noticed a slowdown.

I am really curious. I have spoken to many users and everyone has complained about delays when having many notes - you are the first one I hear saying otherwise. And I have tried everything, including resets. Finally, I am sure it is the notes - if I delete them from the device, things to back to full speed. Also, I know it's not a defective device issue - I had two different PRS900s and I just got a new PRS950. They all slow down.

Could it be because of format? Most of my annotations are on PDF files. I don't see why it would make a difference...

Or sheer quantity? You say you have 'hundreds'. I know on 200 or so PDFs, I had over 1,500 notes and annotations. At that point, the device was unusable. But I noticed a slowdown even earlier...

In any case... I deal with it by transferring all files to my PC nowadays and deleting stuff from the device as soon as I read it.

But yes, it is disappointing.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Huh. I probably have over 1,000 annotations on my reader right now, and it's pretty speedy. I'd say it's behaving normally.

I have only 300 books on it. No SD card (this is a 350).

All of the books I've annotated are EPUB. I usually open my manuscripts in Atlantis word processor and save them to EPUB, then transfer them to the reader.

I also don't have any DRM'd content on the reader ATM, if that makes a difference.

At one point last week I noticed sluggish response time (not even when reading a book, I was going through Collections at the time). I did a soft reset and it was fine again. At that time, I had about 200 annotations in one EPUB file on the device.

ETA: Just did a quick count, I have about 850 total annotations. Some are hand drawn (circles around errors) but most are highlights.

Last edited by doreenjoy; 11-10-2010 at 08:21 PM.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote