Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon's 100 Must Read Books

Amazon Announces 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime

Quote:
“With 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime, we set out to build a roadmap of a literary life without making it feel like a homework assignment,” said Sara Nelson, Editorial Director of Print and Kindle Books at Amazon.com. “Over many months, the team passionately debated and defended the books we wanted on this list. In other words, we applied plenty of the bookish equivalent of elbow-grease, and we can’t wait to hear what customers have to say about our final picks.”

The list of 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime encompasses a wide variety of fiction and nonfiction, including children’s, teen, and young adult. It is intended to span decades. “We listed the books alphabetically by title,” said Nelson, “because our assumption is that no book is more important than another.” The Amazon Books editorial team will audit the list regularly to make sure it stays culturally relevant.
Here's the list. How many have you read?

Vote at Goodreads for your favorites:

Last edited by tubemonkey; 02-04-2014 at 09:16 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Only 10 of them.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
About 13 for me, but Valley of the Dolls? Really??
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
47 here. And a handful or two that are on my TBR, like The Secret History, Life After Life, and Gone Girl.

I'm not particularly impressed by the SF choices - Handmaid's Tale and Fahrenheit 451, yes, but Dune over Hitchhiker's Guide?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Were any of them in the public domain?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Just 6 of them
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
This article touches on Dune's significance-

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...e-endures.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
47 here. And a handful or two that are on my TBR, like The Secret History, Life After Life, and Gone Girl.

I'm not particularly impressed by the SF choices - Handmaid's Tale and Fahrenheit 451, yes, but Dune over Hitchhiker's Guide?
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
32. but helped along by Where the Wild Things Are, the enforced reading of Great Expectations, and, err, Valley of the Dolls.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat sent me on a 2 year nonfiction binge - serious gateway drug, that one.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like it's 11 for me:
  • Dune - Frank Herbert
  • 1984 - George Orwell
  • Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
  • The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
  • The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
  • Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
  • Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
  • Charlotte's Web - EB White
  • The House at Pooh Corner - AA Milne
  • The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
  • A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Deleted... Never Mind...

Last edited by jgaiser; 02-04-2014 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Doh!
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
This article touches on Dune's significance-

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...e-endures.html
Yeah, I've already read that article, at least two or three Dune books (can't remember how many others), and all of the books in that Wired top ten, and I still disagree. YMMV.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
...Dune is the all-time sci-fi classic; and probably my favorite book ever.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #13
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Quote:
GoodReads has Hitchhiker's at #29, so you're not alone there :]

The Secret History is in my TBR pile too - I'm a little leery of it, since the last author that was hyped that hard to me was a massive, smug disappointment.

A lot more WTH? on the GR's list, but also some titles Amazon missed - Watership Down and Grapes of Wrath should maybe replace a few of those bestsellers, maybe.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
40. I don't think the list is close to great, I mean Percy Jackson? I read it but it is not on my top 100.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
40. I don't think the list is close to great, I mean Percy Jackson? I read it but it is not on my top 100.
It seems they are trying to make it a "lifetime of reading", hence the children's and teen books being a big part. I think if you surveyed middle-grade/teens right now, Percy Jackson would make top ten if not top five. In ten or twenty years, maybe not so much; time will tell.