Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
T2 or T3???

The reviews seem to indicate that other than a slightly improved resolution and a slightly slimmer profile, there are no advantages with the Sony T3 versus the T2.

Does anyone see this comparison between the T2 and T3 differently?

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Even the difference between T1 and T2 is minimal.
It looks like Sony is quietly abandoning the market. At least in USA.

It is sad, their 505 was legendary. And hackable.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
Quote:
The reviews seem to indicate that other than a slightly improved resolution and a slightly slimmer profile, there are no advantages with the Sony T3 versus the T2.

Thanks!
At least you still have your 950. Text not as crisp as the T2 or T3, but a bigger screen. My suggestion - buy all the used 950's or try to move to something like Kobo.
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
My 950 is starting to need more frequent battery recharges so I'm getting prepared in the event a switch becomes necessary.

Of perhaps, as you suggest, I should try to land another 950 that's is HOPEFULLY in good shape.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Stay away from Kobo. Too many people report too many issues with them & too many headaches & bugs & glitches. Not everyone experiences them but personally, I just want to read in peace and not have to continually do factory resets all the time.

If you don't have access to a T3 and want to stay with Sony, go with the T2. I'm assuming that you'll find it at a reduced price.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
PaulCanada
PaulCanada began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2/T3, Kobo Glo/Aura
Quote:

Thanks!
I bought the T3 when I compared it against the T2 in Best Buy and there is no going back now. It is an excellent reader and is now my main one; the T2 sent to the drawer as a back up.

I completely gave up on Kobo, owning both a Glo and the Aura HD. Way too many problems with the firmware, poor formatting of .epub books, things that go vanishing in your account and a ton of other reasons. Went back to my Sony T2 ...until the T3 came out.

What I like about the T3 is the compact size, it is a bit faster than the T2, the screen resolution is better (not a huge amount, but it is noticeable), the fact I can easily keep up to 4 books on the go at one time. The top of the main screen where it always kept your current read? Now you can have 4 without having to go searching for them if you are like me and read more than 1 book at a shot.

I know some say you can not tell resolution (darkness, depth, etc) from one to the other, but I disagree. I own(ed) 3 T2's, a white one, a red one and a black one and could notice font depth differences and background color differences on all of them. The white was the worse (a greyish background), the red less so, the black was closest to white. When I sit the T2 black against the T3 black, the T3 black is a bit whiter and makes reading even a better expierence.

The other main issue I've read, the light one. I really have not been into all that much anyway. The Glo and Aura I have sitting collecting dust now, I found the light annoying. On my T2 black, I had the cover with the light attached, preferred that as it was more natural to me when I did use it, which was rare. The T3 cover you can buy, which I did (I had gift cards to use, only reason I bought it), I tried it, did not like it as much as the way the cover and light worked on the T2, and put the default cover back on forgoing the light.

I highly recommend the T3, if you can get it, pick it up, you will not be sorry.

Paul

PS: Another reason I dumped Kobo Glo and Aura was when my library crossed several thousand books it took forever to boot up and Shelves were nothing more than a waste of time if you had more than 5 of them ... I have 1,284 (currently) on my T3, and no issues at all. I'll stick with Sony.
PaulCanada is offline   Reply With Quote