Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Harry Potter ebooks were supposed to finally go for sale ... soon. The initial idea was that they would be available for sale when the new Sony readers were coming. Then only the first book was going to be for sale initially, then it was moved to Q1 2012, then people got distracted with Xmas so there was no news.
Got it. Thank you.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Sounds like greed is rearing its ugly head. My gosh, how much money does she need? She could afford to give away the damn things by now.

But truth be told, I never read the last couple, and really didn't think much of any of them for adult reading. Okay for kids...I guess.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #18
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Sounds like greed is rearing its ugly head. My gosh, how much money does she need? She could afford to give away the damn things by now.

But truth be told, I never read the last couple, and really didn't think much of any of them for adult reading. Okay for kids...I guess.
I must disagree with you. It's an universal reading and I believe it will stay on the right track for many many years as a classic. But, of course, I'm subjective.

As to the topic. Rowling should have published them online already. Greedy little princess.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #19
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
I must disagree with you. It's an universal reading and I believe it will stay on the right track for many many years as a classic. But, of course, I'm subjective.

As to the topic. Rowling should have published them online already. Greedy little princess.
You are not the only grown up that likes the books. The dumbest thing was the adult-version of the books with the exact same words in it, but with a non-kid cover.

Another reason why no ebooks yet could be the hope of future pbook sales once the book gets worn or lost. An ebook never degrades in quality no matter how often you read it. Seriously there is no excuse for lack of ebooks since a lot of those would get bought by people that already have the pbooks. Easy money for charging twice - if they could be bought.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #20
AlexGrama
Writer

Alright, I got that but we deflected from the subject. Why haven't the books been published? :-?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #21
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

Nah. Rowling hits me more as being a control freak than greedy.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #22
AlexGrama
Writer

Never thought of that but I think "control freak" is closer to her attitude towards ebooks than greedy. (OMG, my cat just farted)
Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #23
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
She does give money away to charity.

Quote:
Alright, I got that but we deflected from the subject. Why haven't the books been published? :-?
Control. She wanted to be the only one to sell them, she wanted all the books to be displayed the same way. The problem is that with ebooks the reader gets control. We can choose the font, the size of the words as well as the size of the display.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #24
AlexGrama
Writer

It would be ironic if she owns an e-book reader.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #25
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
She does. She uses a Kindle. She has discussed it in interviews.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #26
AlexGrama
Writer

And she's still against e-books? How about that.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, she is against selling her books as e-books. Other e-books apparently are fine.

And this is why I have no problem having her books on my Kindle. When she gets off her butt and sells them I will buy them.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #28
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I'm not sure she does realize the boat has sailed. She's not preventing piracy by not releasing her books as e-books, she is only losing sales. But she makes so much money, that I suppose she can afford to lose sales to indulge in a fantasy that by not selling her books as e-books she is somehow keeping control over how her books are read.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #29
AlexGrama
Writer

And, ironically, Harry Potter e-books are rolling all over the internet. Just sayin.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #30
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I'm not sure she does realize the boat has sailed. She's not preventing piracy by not releasing her books as e-books, she is only losing sales. But she makes so much money, that I suppose she can afford to lose sales to indulge in a fantasy that by not selling her books as e-books she is somehow keeping control over how her books are read.
A part of me thinks that she is not concerned about money. She really has no reason to be concerned about money, she has a ton of it. I do think that she is concerned about piracy and what that means for her trademark work. The way she has handled all of this makes me wonder if she really is concerned about piracy because she has done everything humanly possible to delay the release of the e-books and it has been made very clear that these are her decisions.

At least with Anne Rice and many other big authors we knew that they wanted their books out as e-books but there were problems with the Publishers. This is the exact oppisite. Her Publisher has to being crazy knowing how much money they are losing but JKR does not seem motivated enough to care.

It is kind of strange.
Closed Thread