Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
What will be your first ebook - K3

Ok, perhaps I'm like a kid all excited about christmas and eagerly awaiting the arrival of his new toy. I'm going through the Kindle store looking for ebooks I have wanted to read (and there are a few of them) and got me thinking, "which ebook do I buy to christen my new graphite kindle?"

I have never read a Stephen King and have wanted to, so I am considering buying Christine for my first Kindle purchase. Anyone else faced a similar dilemma? What will be your first ebook purchase for your new toy?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Well, if you're a Stephen King fan I'd suggest UR, a Stephen King novella about a special Pink Kindle (K2) that has a mysterious "UR Function" on it.

My first e-reader was several years ago and was MobiPocket Reader on a Palm Zire 71. For my very first e-book I chose I, Robot by Isaac Asimov which I had read many, many years previously as a paperback. Of course I didn't buy it at Amazon because the Kindle didn't exist then.

Last edited by TomF; 08-22-2010 at 08:07 PM.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
First Kindle 3 book

I purchased "Deliver Us from Evil: The Slavery Question in the Old South" by Lacy K. Ford. I'm reading it on my Kindle for PC Application until my Kindle 3 arrives.

Next purchase will be the New English Translation of the Bible with Direct Verse Jump. That will only be used on the K3 for use in Church.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
What will be your first ebook purchase for your new toy?
Whatever I happen to be reading on my K2/iPad at the time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Whatever I happen to be reading on my K2/iPad at the time.
Ditto! I go through a few books a week on my KDXG so it would be impossible to predict which book I'll be reading when the K3 arrives, especially when I don't know exactly when the K3 will arrive. I do keep several reference books on my readers so those will be transferred over and put in collections soon after the K3 arrives.

I'm excited to get the K3 for reading outside where it will be much more convenient than lugging my DXG out. But right now here in Hell (North Texas) we are literally hitting 105+ nearly every day with the heat index of 110 or higher. Even at 10:00pm the heat index is over 95. So I won't be doing much out door reading for a while!
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm already planning to reread UR once I get done drooling over (but not on) my new K3.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I purchased "Deliver Us from Evil: The Slavery Question in the Old South" by Lacy K. Ford. I'm reading it on my Kindle for PC Application until my Kindle 3 arrives.

Next purchase will be the New English Translation of the Bible with Direct Verse Jump. That will only be used on the K3 for use in Church.
Do you take your Kindle with you to church. I brought mine with me this but I didn't pull it out cause I was scared I would get judging looks . I know that people in church aren't suppose to judge you and all that but.... in reality it happens.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Either an old Joseph Wambaugh (Los Angeles-area-based crime novels) or the newest Robert Tanenbaum title in his never-ending "Butch Karp" detective crime series.

Or maybe a biography on Hitchcock.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
Do you take your Kindle with you to church. I brought mine with me this but I didn't pull it out cause I was scared I would get judging looks . I know that people in church aren't suppose to judge you and all that but.... in reality it happens.
I would take it and pull it out. Maybe the congregation needs enlightening. I don't go to church very often, but the last time I did the sanctuary looked like a rock concert hall what with all of the big screen TVs giving you the words to the songs, and close up views. I think you would be okay in church with your Kindle just don't let them sprinkle holy water on it!

All kidding aside, a Bible is a Bible no matter what kind of container it is in.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Fletch

My first Kindle, and I am looking forward to retiring a very old paperback.

-M
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... My first Kindle ...

Wow ... you sure are getting into this at a great time!

I can imagine a separate bookshelf in your home ... As you replace your favorite books with eEditions, the hard copies will be placed there. VERY symbolic ... very cool!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Judging by PR and review photos, one must buy The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #13
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>
I can imagine a separate bookshelf in your home ... As you replace your favorite books with eEditions, the hard copies will be placed there. VERY symbolic ... very cool!
That shelf is already set up with classics on it - like Pride and Prejudice and The Complete Sherlock Holmes. Above it is my shelf if books most likely to be purchased electronically.

I'm very excited.

-M
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoZ View Post
Judging by PR and review photos, one must buy The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.
First start with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and The Girl Who Played with Fire.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
The passage, because it is so expensive in all the other stores I've held off buying it for my sony.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote