Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
camgee
camgee began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Question New Jetbook Lite Owner with 2 Questions...

Got a JBL about a week ago. Love it. I like it much better than the Kindle and Nook that I have played with. The screen has much better contrast and tshe page turn is way faster and much less annoying. I do however have a couple questions/concerns:

1 What do the numbers on the side do when you have a book loaded. Having accidently pushed them while reading, I know they actually perform some definite navigation functions. Would be nice to know what they do, but haven't taken the time to play with them because they usually cause some action I don't want at the time. Hopefully, I can take advantage of someone else's already completely experimentation.

2. I have noticed that sometimes the fonts on the screen have been squiggly. Often if i adjust the angle of viewing the squiggliness goes away some. I am wondering if this is fairly normal or if it might suggest problems with the LCD screen that is in my particular model. It is much more noticeable in brighter light but I have seen it in a variety of lighting situations. It isn't a break the deal kind of problem but if it progresses and gets worse then it is something I'd want fixed.

Thanks in advance... I have enjoyed reading posts on here and hope to be an active member of the community. Oh and one other thing anyone play around with the 15d update anymore? I'm not a big user of the dictionary so I haven't tried the update yet and if that is the only advantage I'm not sure I will.
camgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Welcome to the ranks of JBL users, I hope you end up enjoying yours as much as
many of us do ours.

I am pretty sure the number buttons function as follows;

If the page you are viewing has numbers displayed inside a black dot, then the
number keys will select the items with those numbers. The "Books" directories for
instance.

Otherwise, I believe the number keys have the functions that are numbered in the
popup that the "Menu" button gives you. What options are will depend on the format
and type of page you are on when you use the "Menu" button. This is very dependent
upon the format you are reading at the time. It will be different for PDF from for PDB,
for example.

Not sure what you mean about "squiggly" fonts, the JBL only has the two fonts, for
now. If your screen isn't displaying them properly then there would be something
wrong. The reflective LCD technology used provides for 180 degrees, which is much
better than most displays, but you will still have to make some adjustments for optimal
viewing.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
camgee

Thanks for the response Ken.

As for squiggly I mean that they are visible moving ever so slightly. I've noticed it on other LCD displays often when there is interference but it is happening when there is really nothing to cause the interference. Just wondering if it was a common thing that people had noticed or if there might be something slightly off with the particular screen I have. It isn't terribly annoying but it is slightly annoying. I know it's not just my imagination or eye strain because using the netbook that I am currently typing on and often spend a lot of time on reading, I have never noticed.

Also I have noticed that when you hit the number keys without a corresponding menu item they do sometimes do things. Especially in pdb files which are the primary type of files I'm reading currently. I'll experiment with it some if no one else comments about it. I get the normal function but I have managed to turn the page with them but have also skipped pages and dumped myself out of the book so I have been wary of trying to figure out what they do.

Thanks again,

camgee
Old 04-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I have had the # keys highlight sections of text. Which had the effect of not being able to turn the page till you hit the return key.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
camgee

Having played with it some, I have discovered that in books purchased from ereader.com the following appears to happen on JBL with the numbers:

the O seems to act as a return key
the 1 opens the bookmarks menu
the 2 sets or removes a bookmark
the 3 opens up the jump to menu
the 4 opens up the settings menu
the 5-9 don't appear to do anything.

Still wondering if anyone else has seen the Jumpy/squiggly font thing.
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
jrl007
Enthusiast
jrl007 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camgee View Post
Thanks for the response Ken.

As for squiggly I mean that they are visible moving ever so slightly. I've noticed it on other LCD displays often when there is interference but it is happening when there is really nothing to cause the interference. Just wondering if it was a common thing that people had noticed or if there might be something slightly off with the particular screen I have. It isn't terribly annoying but it is slightly annoying. I know it's not just my imagination or eye strain because using the netbook that I am currently typing on and often spend a lot of time on reading, I have never noticed.
I notice that too (had my JBL since Feb, but only started reading outside since the weather's getting better), if I'm reading outside. Seems to happen in bright sunshine, not shining directly on the JBL, but at sort of an angle. Never noticed it reading indoors though.
jrl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
camgee

Interesting jrl007. I am noticing it quite a bit. Usually if i change the angle of viewing I can make it stop but it is definitely happening. I'm thinking of sending an email to support to see what they say/suggest. Otherwise I love it and have already read several books on it.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
jrl007
Enthusiast
jrl007 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camgee View Post
Interesting jrl007. I am noticing it quite a bit. Usually if i change the angle of viewing I can make it stop but it is definitely happening. I'm thinking of sending an email to support to see what they say/suggest. Otherwise I love it and have already read several books on it.
I love mine as well. I'm trying to get my sister-in-law to get one, or any ereader for that matter. She reads a lot of books and as I was telling her over Easter dinner yesterday, I've read more books in the past 2 months, since I've had the JBL, that I had in the past 3 years probably.

Anyway, do you wear glasses? I've worn them all my life, now wearing bi-focals, but that may have something to do with it. And I only notice it in sunlight (weird, huh?). When I read in bed I have a clip-on light, so as not to disturb the wife, and I read without my glasses on, and even then I still don't notice the "wiggle".

It's there though, I DEFINITELY see it under certain conditions, but I don't think I see it as often as you do.
jrl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
camgee

jrl007 ... Nope no glasses here. I have pretty good up close vision (I never can remember if that is near or far sightedness). I'm just glad someone else has noticed. It isn't really a major problem. I just want to know if it is normal. If it isn't I think I'll see about support for the issue. I'm pretty sure it isn't just my eyes because looking at my netbook screen frequently - I've never noticed this phenomenon at any angle. I do notice it more in direct sunlight or in brighter lighting situations. Wondering if it is just the two of us who have noticed this?