Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #31
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Smashwords seems to be down at the moment. I'm glad I have already downloaded at least some of the ebooks I bought.

I wanted to download a different format for The End of Science Fiction because it seems to change font sizes all the time with no apparent reason. Is that on purpose, Neil?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #32
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
ok.. which of you broke the Smashwords site? lol
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #33
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I think -- in their modesty -- Mark Coker and the Smashwords team seriously underestimated just how much in demand they would be this week. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #34
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, let's face it: Advertising 3,000 authors with free or discounted books during this one week... well, that would inundate most sites.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #35
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Having -- like you, Steve -- had pleasant dealings with SW, I reckon we can count on them not to underestimate their own value in future. We've all been caught on the hop by the sheer explosion of ebook reading over the past three months. Best. Neil
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSays View Post
ok.. which of you broke the Smashwords site? lol
Could have been me. I downloaded this freebie novelette from David.Niall.Wils. I think the site went down shortly thereafter.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #37
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Smashwords is slow for me at the best of times. I'd imagine the load was far more than they expected it to be. Hopefully the site will be back up and running soon, as the timing couldn't really be much worse.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #38
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FYI: My wife just scored a Droid... which means I get to play with it. A bit.

So I downloaded the Aldiko e-book reader, and when I went to check on resources for e-books through the app, I was pleased to see Read an E-Book Week listed right at the top!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #39
neilmarr
neilmarr

Smashwords is up again (7.00am CET) and seems to be running faster than ever. Cheers. Neil
Old 03-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #40
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

We're almost done! Go get those last-minute deals! (including the one below!)

And in the case of the SJB, be prepared for even more deals to come! Just because REBW10 will soon be over, it doesn't mean the good stuff stops coming. Stay tuned for a new novel from me, and a few surprises...

But for now, make your last day of REBW10 a memorable one!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did read two eBooks so far during eBook week. I read Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer and Ceremony in Death by J. D. Robb. I did start Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn. But I won't be finished today. It's 434 ePub pages.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #42
David.Niall.Wils
Author & Digital Publishe
David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've been very pleased with the number of folks who took me up on my free download at SMASHWORDS...

Remember today is the last day for it. Also, every title of mine AT Smashwords is 50% off...as are all the titles at my own publishing site:

Macabre Ink Digital Publishing

The coupon on my site is eBOOKWeek - fifty percent off your final purchase, all titles available in .PDF, MOBI, EPUB and PRC formats...I have a lot more available there than I do on Smaswords, as it takes time to reformat for their requirements...

David

Last edited by David.Niall.Wils; 03-13-2010 at 10:58 AM.
David.Niall.Wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #43
neilmarr
neilmarr

Glad to hear it worked for you David. We're pretty pleased, too, with an average of twenty-five downloads of each of the titles we had on offer at Smashwords alone. And -- bearing in mind time zone differences -- there's still time for a few more in the UK and Australia where the RAEBW doesn't end until Sunday. Cheers. Neil
Old 03-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #44
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I just did a check on my stats. As much as I'd like to use a Saganism ("we've had billions and billions of downloads..."), I guess I'll just be honest and say that, with about 7 hours to go for REBW10, I've had 584 downloads of Chasing the Light in the past week. I'm happy with that number.

EDIT: The final tally is in for the week: Chasing the Light came in at 599 downloads!

(Missed 600 even by that much!)

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 03-14-2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: So close! Sooo close!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #45
neilmarr
neilmarr

That's brilliant, Steve. We've not had many more downloads than that single book, and we had twenty-five titles on offer out of the eighty-odd in our catalogue at SW. Mind you, you've steadily built a loyal ebook fan base, so you deserve to have done as well as you have. Best wishes. Neil

Tags
e-books, promotion, read an e-book week, rita toews