Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
I am either a really slow thinker, or my calendar is misaligned.

How can you have a contest that runs from Mar 7 - 14 that already has two winners before noon on the first day of the contest?

Edit: Oops, sorry. that's Mar 7 - 13. But still...
I do have to say that it's unfair to have contest winners already before the week is up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #17
Domokos
Rita Y. Toews
Domokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it is

Device: Sony and Hiebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
I am either a really slow thinker, or my calendar is misaligned.

How can you have a contest that runs from Mar 7 - 14 that already has two winners before noon on the first day of the contest?

Because ... the writing contest was from February until March 5th so the winners answers could be posted for Read an E-Book Week. That's been on the website since February.
Domokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Very cool!

So this is a yearly event? I can't believe I missed it last year :S
It is a yearly event, every first full week of March. But in truth, the REBW site works to promote e-books all year 'round (witness the contest mentioned above), and always has useful information on e-books, authors, publishers, hardware vendors and promoters.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #19
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domokos View Post
Because ... the writing contest was from February until March 5th so the winners answers could be posted for Read an E-Book Week. That's been on the website since February.
Well, that's okay, and thanks for the explanation.

For those of us who don't read every website on the internet, might have been nice for the paragraph to make mention that they are winners of a DIFFERENT contest than the one now being promoted.

Thanks again for the response.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 AM   #20
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
As folks expected, it seems REBW 2010 is going to be a bigger hit than ever. My own wee house saw more than 200 downloads (an impressive number voluntarily and generously paid for) in the first 24 hours. In previous years, we've been lucky to give that many away over the course of the entire week. Mind you, in previous years we only had PDFs to offer. Best wishes and good luck to everyone joining in the fun. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 06:16 AM   #21
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
This week is hard work for everyone, including mere readers like me. I spent half the day yesterday browsing through smashwords for anything that might be of interest, free or not, and now I have to sort through all of it to find writers with more than one books - if I like the one I have downloaded, I might still have time to get the other ones before the week is through. So, it's "read as many ebooks as you can" week for me!
to everyone who organised this and/or participated!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #22
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So I was hitting Smashwords pretty hard this morning and it was actually pretty snappy. The price being free it is sure the temptation to do the equivalent of what I would do a a paper book store if told: “All books on those shelves are free.” That is grab a big old box and go down the shelves sweeping everything into the box. Once it got to be past 8:00 a.m. on the east coast things the site slowed considerably. I've still a lot to look at so I will be back in the early a.m. tomorrow.

Hopefully this is not too snarky a comment, but what's up with all the vampire books? I know the Twilight series was a mega-bestseller, and now a movie as well I believe, but suddenly all these aspiring authors are writing about young romance and vampires. Isn't it time to give vampires a rest and maybe broaden the field to other mythical beings? Come on trolls need some lovin' to.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #23
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Hopefully this is not too snarky a comment, but what's up with all the vampire books?
Hey... there are always trends. I think this one has longer legs than most, due to the sex/danger/romance psychology. And writers have picked up on it. But it'll pass eventually, and we'll move on to something else. I'm betting on cyborgs doing a comeback...
Old 03-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #24
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
Read an eBook week started as a voice in the wilderness. What a great job Rita and Steve have done. I'm happy to be part of it...for info on our special deal, though, you'll have to go to the Read an eBook site.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #25
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
hmm I missed the Vampire books. Are these at SW?
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
HA! I just finished my first paper book in quite a while . . . just in time for Read an E-Book Week 2010!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-08-2010 at 06:56 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #27
William Campbell
Connoisseur
William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
During "Read an ebook week," Dead Forever: Awakening is on special at Smashwords and Mobipocket.

One week only, ending March 13, download for free. Regularly $7.99.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8981

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...?BookID=263460

Death is temporary, we'll be back. In a comformist society aware of reincarnation, insurgents are eliminated by erasing their memory of repeating life and replacing it with eternity in either Heaven or Hell. The hero escapes the dead forever process but remains stricken with amnesia, and his quest to awaken unveils hatred for an enemy he vows to destroy. But first, he must overcome his lust.

Awakening begins the Dead Forever series, followed by Apotheosis and Resonance.
William Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #28
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Things are so hectic this week, I can see me scrambling at the last minute to stock up on some recreational reading for a (hopefully) short hospital stay soon. There's just so much great stuff out there to choose from ...
Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #29
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Still seeing slow access on Smashwords today...

Anyone who knows of deals being offered on individual sites, feel free to say so here. If we can get books elsewhere, maybe Smashwords' servers will get a break.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #30
neilmarr
neilmarr

Right you are, Steve. I think even Smashwords has been taken by surprise by the popularity of REBW this year. Patience, though, is a virtue ... as long as you don't time out. Hoots. Neil

Tags
e-books, promotion, read an e-book week, rita toews