Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 04:51 AM   #61
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Okay, that's enough folks, especially you IgnareAcademy!.

You stop your personal attacks right NOW or we will take the appropriate measures. I hope everybody understands this once and for all.
What are you afraid of? Losing artificial peace?
Personal attacks are part of any real intellectual debate. It was already the case in Greece more than 2000 years ago.
Ideas are not pure, they come from real people with real flesh...and with a personality, a personality much more unconscious than conscious.
If debates were objective, humanity would agree about everything for a long time. Debates are highly subjective, especially because many people cannot even try to be objective since they are neurotic, hence pathologically subjective.
Can you accept that reality?
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #62
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnareAcademy View Post
What are you afraid of? Losing artificial peace?
Personal attacks are part of any real intellectual debate. It was already the case in Greece more than 2000 years ago.
Ideas are not pure, they come from real people with real flesh...and with a personality, a personality much more unconscious than conscious.
If debates were objective, humanity would agree about everything for a long time. Debates are highly subjective, especially because many people cannot even try to be objective since they are neurotic, hence pathologically subjective.
Can you accept that reality?
Intellectual exchange and debate has nothing whatsoever to do with personal attacks. I agree that debates are highly subjective, but to debase another one intellectually does not win your arguments.

Anyway, it's not the way we are discussing here. So you have two choices:

1 You stop your personal attacks
2 You're looking for new hunting grounds.

So, be advised that you are under close scrutiny. For the others: This is not a personal mood swing either. Please be aware that we won't tolerate any personal attacks.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #63
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
To add emphasis to Moderator mtravellerh's words:

IgnareAcademy, you are strongly encouraged to find another Forum Board to participate in if you are unhappy with this one.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #64
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Intellectual exchange and debate has nothing whatsoever to do with personal attacks. I agree that debates are highly subjective, but to debase another one intellectually does not win your arguments.

Anyway, it's not the way we are discussing here. So you have two choices:

1 You stop your personal attacks
2 You're looking for new hunting grounds.

So, be advised that you are under close scrutiny. For the others: This is not a personal mood swing either. Please be aware that we won't tolerate any personal attacks.
You quote Nietzsche in your signature.
Nietzsche entered the intellectual world with a book that was a devastating personal attack against the most popular intellectual in Germany at the time: David Strauss.
Would you ban Nietzsche if he joined this forum? Would you tell him to stop his personal attacks?
Would you keep his quote in your signature after discovering you did not understand him at all?
What do you do in front of someone more intelligent than you?
Tell him to be like you? Or do you try to become like him?
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #65
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnareAcademy View Post
Quote: "MobileRead is one of the few places on the 'net where folks can engage in intelligent discussion of differing viewpoints without having to deal with rudeness"
I find that very naive.
You may find our expectation of civility "naive" but we can and do defend it.

You have more than amply demonstrated that you have no intention of abiding by that expectation. There are plenty of other place on the 'net where you may insult others to your heart's content, you'll just have to find one of them to carry on your preferred "discussion" style.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #66
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I can't imagine why Google would sell browser-based ebooks. Unless they have something unique up their sleeves, I agree this would be doomed to failure.
Hmm, what about those android phones that are coming out? A lot of companies seem to think that online-content is the future. Even MS is trying to bring every desktop application online. (cloud computing) And actually Google was one of the first to really start on that, with the online document editor, online spreadsheet editor, etc. Having an online bookreader fits that picture perfectly.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #67
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, what about those android phones that are coming out? A lot of companies seem to think that online-content is the future. Even MS is trying to bring every desktop application online. (cloud computing) And actually Google was one of the first to really start on that, with the online document editor, online spreadsheet editor, etc. Having an online bookreader fits that picture perfectly.
MS has been trying that since the late 90's.

In their case, They don't like anyone actually owning data or software.
They are convinced that if they package it right - the world will rent from them in perpetuity (or do without).
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #68
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Har!

OK, to get the thread back on track:

I can't imagine why Google would sell browser-based ebooks. Unless they have something unique up their sleeves, I agree this would be doomed to failure.

Sad, too, as I'm having such fun running barefoot through the Google ePubs in the Sony store.

Give us ePubs or give us. . .uh. . .something else! Readable, that is.
Google is an Internet company and data mining company. This fits Google's business model. What's different here is they are now charging for books when usually their application and content is free.

I suspect their angle is add a good user experience.

I'd be interested if they added features such as adding dictionary support, trading ebooks, reselling ebooks, uploading personal content, etc..

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #69
tali3sin
Connoisseur
tali3sin began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Magic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I recently picked up one of those new-fangled Android phones, and though I love it to bits... the problem with the "everything online" model became immediately apparent within my first hour of using it. Quite simply, the global ISP and 3G services aren't ready for it yet, they just plain charge too much for people to want to keep everything in the cloud.
Some places can get fancy unlimited data plans (be it standard 'net, or over the phone) for reasonable prices... but for those of us that live in places like Australia (the place I still call home, despite being in Europe) where one or two major companies have a monopoly over both of these markets, well, it just doesn't work out well.

So, while I whole-heartedly approve of advancements in technology, tech-services, things like this Google providing online access to their massive library... It'll be a while before I'll actually be able to afford to use it. At least, afford to use it on my phone.
tali3sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #70
tali3sin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Google is an Internet company and data mining company. This fits Google's business model. What's different here is they are now charging for books when usually their application and content is free.

I suspect their angle is add a good user experience.

I'd be interested if they added features such as adding dictionary support, trading ebooks, reselling ebooks, uploading personal content, etc..

=X=
Trading eBooks I get, basically you're just swapping access rights with another user for something of (perceived?) equal value, but what do you mean by reselling?
I find the idea interesting, but I'm not sure how it would work. Do you sell your access rights to the book on to another user for the same price? If so, why not just buy it from store, thereby paying the author?

Or are you selling it for less? You take a loss, but you get some money back, or credit towards your next purchase/rental of the online book? But then, how does the cash get back to the author? Does that even matter? Very curious idea.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #71
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tali3sin View Post
Trading eBooks I get, basically you're just swapping access rights with another user for something of (perceived?) equal value, but what do you mean by reselling?
I find the idea interesting, but I'm not sure how it would work. Do you sell your access rights to the book on to another user for the same price? If so, why not just buy it from store, thereby paying the author?
Well I don't think reselling or trading will happen but they would be in the best place to offer this service.

Now explaining what I mean. When I say reselling I'm referring to treating eBooks just like used books. Essentially I could resell them back to google or sell the to another google client at a fraction of the original price.
The only difference form a user expiernece is the reduction of price, because eBooks do not degrade in quality like physical books do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tali3sin View Post
Or are you selling it for less? You take a loss, but you get some money back, or credit towards your next purchase/rental of the online book? But then, how does the cash get back to the author? Does that even matter? Very curious idea.
Yes to all the questions above.

I don't think the authors would get any money back. Under copyright they are not entiled sales preceding form resale. Only the govement holds that right

They don't and it would not be a violation of copyright.

Last edited by =X=; 06-04-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #72
tali3sin
Connoisseur

Well, =X=, I think that's a damn fine plan.

I don't know that it will ever happen, but, it's a good plan.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:16 AM   #73
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If Google go though web base system, shouldn't the price be lower then Amazon. This is almost a rental service of ebooks.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #74
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Well I don't think reselling or trading will happen but they would be in the best place to offer this service.

Now explaining what I mean. When I say reselling I'm referring to treating eBooks just like used books. Essentially I could resell them back to google or sell the to another google client at a fraction of the original price.
The only difference form a user expiernece is the reduction of price, because eBooks do not degrade in quality like physical books do.

Well, it is possible for eBooks to degrade. As many people have found here they can be modified for whatever purpose. And if the original source has changed (upgraded) it might be hard to find the modifications since a diff wouldn't work.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #75
=X=
Wizard

Sure, but its it not like the book is any less functional or the quality of the text us reduced. Which is really what I was getting at. If you where reselling an ebook its not like you have to put (fair, good, excellent condition). All books would be in excellent condition.

... I suppose from your argument you would have to provide a version number .