Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #46
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tali3sin View Post
For people who don't care about what IgnareAcademy had to say, or how I might respond to his... opinion.
It is quite ironic to see you try to precisely analyze what I wrote with your fuzzy brain. Or should I say your unintelligent anal brain.
Your IQ is too low. There can be no dialog between us.
That is the problem with forums: no IQ test is mandatory for registering. No IQ score is written next to each forumer's name. We only end up with artificial numbers like "experience", "karma",...
So any forumer can pretend to analyze what anyone else wrote, without any scale of intellectual value whatsoever to separate people.
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #47
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Unless I'm missing something, caching it in your browser so you can read it offline also means you can save the thing to a file and import it to your reader.
Yeah, I was just wondering about that...a spark of hope revives...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #48
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Yeah, I was just wondering about that...a spark of hope revives...
I'm guessing they'll have some cheesy mechanism to prevent you from saving the files, but hackers will get around it pretty quickly.

BTW, I just figured out how the Ignore List on MR works.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #49
tali3sin
Connoisseur
tali3sin began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Magic
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnareAcademy View Post
It is quite ironic to see you try to precisely analyze what I wrote with your fuzzy brain. Or should I say your unintelligent anal brain.
Your IQ is too low. There can be no dialog between us.
That is the problem with forums: no IQ test is mandatory for registering. No IQ score is written next to each forumer's name. We only end up with artificial numbers like "experience", "karma",...
So any forumer can pretend to analyze what anyone else wrote, without any scale of intellectual value whatsoever to separate people.
Well, I'm glad to see you took the time to respond to each of my points against yours, rather than make unsubstantiated claims about the quality of my intelligence.

Do you not agree that artificial numbers, like "experience" and "karma" which provide a semi-democracy within a microcosm of society like we have in forums, come from a database? Just curious.

Seriously though, any thing you have to say against me, I can only take as a compliment.

Good day, sir.
tali3sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #50
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Exclamation Simmer Down, folks.

<Moderator Hat>

Folks, I'm going to have to ask that everyone return to a respectful discourse or simply walk away from the discussion.

Name calling and insults are way over the line of what's tolerated here at MobileRead.

We welcome, encourage, and appreciate discussions of differing opinions as long as those discussions remain civil and respectful.

If you cannot abide by that constraint in a particular discussion, please find another discussion in which you can -- we certainly have enough threads here, you ought to be able to find something else to talk about.

If you find you cannot abide by that constraint in dealing with a particular user, please consider ignoring that person, either by adding them to your ignore list, or by simply not reading their posts.

MobileRead is one of the few places on the 'net where folks can engage in intelligent discussion of differing viewpoints without having to deal with rudeness, and we're very protective of that atmosphere.

Thank you.

</Moderator Hat>
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #51
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Time to invoke Godwin's Law, I think.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #52
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Time to invoke Godwin's Law, I think.
Let's make sure it doesn't come to that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #53
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IgnareAcademy already brought up Nazis. Too late.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #54
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Ok, now you are just rubbing it in. Don't make my pull this thread over!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #55
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, now you are just rubbing it in. Don't make me pull this thread over!

BOb
Har!

OK, to get the thread back on track:

I can't imagine why Google would sell browser-based ebooks. Unless they have something unique up their sleeves, I agree this would be doomed to failure.

Sad, too, as I'm having such fun running barefoot through the Google ePubs in the Sony store.

Give us ePubs or give us. . .uh. . .something else! Readable, that is.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #56
tali3sin
Connoisseur
tali3sin began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Magic
Quote:
Har!

I can't imagine why Google would sell browser-based ebooks. Unless they have something unique up their sleeves, I agree this would be doomed to failure.
Perhaps they'll have a layout-formattable reader of some kind built into the page with the ability to add a bookmark? Unless the bookmark eliminates the idea of it being "view only."
tali3sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #57
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The big G already was already involved in the digitizing of a lot of works I believe? So they are already in a position to distribute material very easily. For them to make the jump into ebooks is pretty easy.
Hopefully they won't crush the competition like their search engine did!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:47 AM   #58
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I'm guessing they'll have some cheesy mechanism to prevent you from saving the files, but hackers will get around it pretty quickly.

BTW, I just figured out how the Ignore List on MR works.
I imagine Google will have their own browser-based reader, like the one they have now. It may or may not be possible to directly save the file. If not, then a hack is required. Even after the file has been extracted, one would probably still have to format-shift the file so that it can be well-formatted and read in an eBook reader. Thing is, why should I have to go through all this trouble for something I paid for?

And I'm so glad NatCh showed up!
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #59
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
Quote:
Someone started by accusing someone else of being a conspiracy theorist. I then accused this accuser of being the anti-thesis of a democrat.
The Godwin Law is the most stupid law ever invented. Because our democracies can turn into fascist states like it happened in Germany, it is important to be able to seriously talk about the real ways in which a country dangerously goes on a slippery slope towards fascism, by becoming less democratic whether through new laws, attacks against intellectuals, conformism, censorship,...
The Godwin Law allows short-sighted, conformist, anal persons to stop a serious discussion because of ONE HISTORICAL word. One word from a period in history that we should never stop to reflect about.
But many optimistic (unconsciously weak/fearful ?) persons prefer not to seriously think about that.

Quote: "MobileRead is one of the few places on the 'net where folks can engage in intelligent discussion of differing viewpoints without having to deal with rudeness"
I find that very naive. An intelligent discussion requires first and foremost intelligent persons. Does being a member of this forum magically guarantee that? No way! Many people who read a lot of books do that because they are anal: they accumulate books like others accumulate money, objects, whatever. Others read a lot of not particularly intelligent books like others watch a lot of movies/series.
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #60
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Okay, that's enough folks, especially you IgnareAcademy!.

You stop your personal attacks right NOW or we will take the appropriate measures. I hope everybody understands this once and for all.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote